New Riders Of The Purple Sage- NRPS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

Tower finally has this in stock and I picked it up. Have not had this on cd since I bought the first issue "decades" ago and dumped it cause it was horrid. Been listened to a mint original LP whenever the mood strikes. In a brief listen to this new cd. I will say that this is the best you will ever probably hear this in digital. I don't expect it to ever make it to hi-rez. Given the age of the recording and limitations of pcm I think it sounds very good. Lot's of power into the freq extremes and very clear vocals/harmonies/backing vocals. This was always a great sounding LP to my ears. But the bass has limitations on the LP. The bass is extremely powerful and detailed on this cd. I think for those that care about this record- you"ll like this cd. Oh- and i hear some very nice tape hiss and it's not too loud.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

reb, you are sooo right on this one!
    I think SONY has hit a home run on this one. I have had it for about two months and listen to it all the time. The sound quality is not just very good but FANTASTIC. What dynamic range! The best remaster I have heard this year. I am bringing it over to a friends house tomorrow to test his new system.
    The live bonus tracks are fun - especially with Garcia in on "The Weight".

3. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Attached Files:

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Bumping this thread, because I just picked this remastered CD up on Saturday for $9.99, and it is righteous.

Now if I could just get Henry to swing past my place and drop off something, I'd be back in 1971 - when the living was easy.

I agree that this record is of limited interest and will not make it to SACD. Whatever. A fantastic transfer and good bonus tracks.

Regards,
    Geoff

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have every incarnation on Cee Dee of that album and every other album that was issued on Cee Dee! :) I agree this is the BEST sounding version!
    I'm still waiting for "Home, Home On The Road", "Brujo" and "Oh, What A Mighty Time"...why are these not available on Cee Dee -ANYWHERE- on the planet??

6. Michael

7. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

It's stereo...there are a couple of .mp3 tracks they allow you to download and check out on their site. Average sound...nothing special.

8. Michael

Thanks! I checked some of the MP3's out, I agree:) Nice to have if your a fan...:thumbsup:

9. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

For those of you on the fence on this one. www.jandr.com has this and all other midline Sony's/Columbia CD's for only $6.99. (Make sure you get the one with Bonus Tracks) Add Mountain, Mott the Hoople, Spirit, The Byrds, Monk, Miles Davis etc. to your cart too!
    Looks like they will have this sale on for some time.
    No - I don't work there - just love the place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.