New Roger Daltrey Album - As Long as I Have You (June 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrazyBrown, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RupertPupkin

RupertPupkin Forum Resident

thank you - I will try to listen to this acoustic version.

I knew that this was a cover (love the original composition); but as arranged with this folky acoustic guitar and some typical guitar-licks that sounds familiar to "The Seeker" for instance (the sound of this arrangement of "How Far" is close to Who By Numbers LP atmosphere).
    I'm a bit surprised (I've read RayS post) that at no time we can hear Pete's voice (even in the background vocals (which are discreet in terms or arrangement; but some songs has some kind of gospel and some other some nice Motown vibe). Is it the first time that it happens ? (just guitar by Pete, no background vocals at all?...)

J_D__ likes this.
  2. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

This is a lovely album. The two originals are beautiful, while the covers are inspired and completely suited to Roger's voice. I especially love 'Into My Arms', a surprising choice for a cover if I ever heard one.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I honestly didn't even know this album was coming out:hide:

I read all the favorable comments here and purchased the album yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Roger is in really good voice.

No Bull, dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Listening on Spotify, and was surprised to hear him cover K.T. Oslin on “Where Is A Man To Go”! (Dusty Springfield also covered it on her last studio album. ) Great version by Roger!

No Bull likes this.
  5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Anyone dl the high res version?

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well, let me critique my own post here...when I first listened to this, I was expecting something different and was not fond of what I heard at first with the exception of a few songs. Always one to keep an open mind, I went back and listened to this a few more times with out my high expectations. Happy I did, as I now like this album very much! I had to appreciate this album for what it is, and there are some very good songs laced throughout. The only two songs that I could do without are, "Into My Arms" (not a Nick Cave fan, so that does not help) and "Always Heading Home", just brings the album to a bitter crawl.

Still not what I was hoping for, but still very pleased with this album and Roger's voice sounds incredible! Just wish Pete would have not played most of his guitar work in a session mode style...but he sure shines on "How Far"!

No Bull, rjstauber and Ernest T like this.
  7. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Agreed on the first part, but for my money, had Pete done anything OTHER than play a session role, the album would have been pilloried as a less-then-scratch Who album and NOT the Daltrey solo project that Pete pushed Roger so hard to complete for himself.

No Bull, Who'sTommy and scotti like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And I can respect that and your comments could not be more correct! But selfishly I just wanted some good old PT style guitar on a few more cuts, but all good though! Appreciate your response!

9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

And the best avenue for that would be a PT solo album. There was some cracking playing on Psychoderalict that we've kind of not heard since. I'm not sure he even regards himself highly enough as a player on guitar where he is so able across a multitude of instruments for us to ever get more than just the odd flourish now.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have had the pleasure of hanging with him a few times because of my job. Nice as can be and very easy to talk to. He seems very self conscious about the music he releases and can almost sense how much he wants his fans to like it. I had a chance to spend a couple of evenings with The Ox, and over dinner one night he was actually making wise cracks about how his hearing is not as bad as one would think and said he just got lazy towards the electric guitar...one thing I could tell though was how much their friendship met...

With the above said, I do not pretend to be some type of expert here, just my takeaways...

Benn Kempster likes this.
  11. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Really enjoying the album, maybe Roger's best solo effort.

No Bull, J_D__ and scotti like this.
  12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Played it today alongside the rest of my Roger Daltrey collection (his debut) and it stands up really well. Amazing to hear how his voice has held up over the 40-odd years between them!!

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

A good surgeon does help the vocal chords!

No Bull, PJayBe and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

Your list of favourite singers is almost the same as mine!

scotti likes this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

After a few more listens, this album continues to grow on me and I am really appreciating the groove here! Glad I excepted it for what it is, and not what I wanted it to be. By the way, pulled out "One Of The Boys" on vinyl yesterday since I had not listened to it in a while, then decided to get my CD instead because I was not sure how much of it I wanted to hear. Have a promo of the reissue with bonus cuts and it was still sealed, so for the heck of it, looked it up on discogs, none available for sale, then checked Ebay and it is going for over $100, what the heck is up with that?

Anyway, left it sealed and fired up the vinyl instead, wow, forgot how good some of this album is! His covers of Say It Ain't So, Avenging Annie (Alvin Lee on guitar) and his take on McCartney's "Giddy" are cool as can be and the title track rocks like hell!

Did not mean to derail there, just could not believe what this CD is selling for...

No Bull and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I really want to buy this album but jeez, it's so expensive. :confused:

What gives Rog?

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

$11 is a lot?

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I wonder if aoxomoxoa, is referring to the vinyl version...it's a little pricey, especially the Blue vinyl which is $35 or so ...making me stick with my CD only...just noticed the vinyl is Europe, no US version, that would explain, a little less on discogs, but who knows with shipping added...it is a Sterling though and my interest is starting to rise!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oh ok

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I was talking about the vinyl. The CD was $15 on Amazon when I checked last. Which is still high.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

B&N had the cd on sale online with store pickup, plus a coupon. Cost me $12 with tax.

Listened to the album a few more times and Roger is singing his heart out and butt off on every tune. Shows restrain and delicacy :) when needed and 'lets it rip' when necessary. He sings 'great' and sounds 'really good' throughout.
    It's all in all imo a top shelf release. Just a bit more 'mellow' and 'different' than Going Back Home but every bit as passionate and I would say it's even more 'touching' and 'expansive' than GBH.

Could not imagine a stronger effort and better results. Plus Townshend plays on it too. Real Good Stuff...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  22. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Just picked this up on Amazon. $12 and some change + auto rip + $1 credit for an Amazon digital file + 5% cash back with my Amazon Prime CC.

dee likes this.
  23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Surprised how much I'm still enjoying this one. His voice is remarkable on "Into My Arms". I don't think he's done anything like it before. I wouldn't call it innovative but it sounds great to my ears. I also like the fact that Pete is on it but he's pretty unobtrusive and subtle. It's Rogers album for sure.

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw Roger's show last night in Nashville.

They had people walking through the audience "selling" the album in exchange for a $20 donation to teen cancer charities. I had kept away from all the setlists hoping to be somewhat surprised, but I was a bit disappointed (though I can't say shocked) with how poorly the new album was represented - 1 song.

Roger's voice was definitely stronger than when I last saw him (2012 with The Who).

No Bull, krock2009, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I would have been shocked as well, only one song? What does that say? I would have thought 3 or at least 2...

mrjinks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.