New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I will leave and you can continue the circle jerk.

2. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

[​IMG]

tedhead, mando_dan, somnar and 31 others like this.
  3. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

Yup.

4. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

A couple of bad reviews on Amazon crack me up.
    One claims the album sounds miserable.
    And the other that Roger sounds angry!

That's Roger Waters for you. Perhaps add in the word old.

It's an interesting album though...lots to listen to.

ryaneagon, Tony-A and Bolero like this.
  5. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

It's definitely an album that repays your engagement with it. I love the anger and the passion, and the articulation of fears and thoughts which I am sure many of us have. Good on him for talking about things a lot of artists and bands - regardless of their age - don't even give the time of day to.

Here's hoping the next one is an even more explosive concept album about the Dynamic Range Meter. The meta-energy generated by this forum in response would be enough to solve all our climate problems.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO is this the life... is just about on par with Amused To Death. The only song I don't like is "The Most Beautiful Girl".

When I played the album the second time on Friday night I couldn't resist playing Animals and The Final Cut afterwards...yeah, is this the life... is totally a fusion of the two.

Captain Caveman and Baidur like this.
  7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I salute you for this masterpiece.

mando_dan and Walter Sobchak like this.
  8. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Yesterday when I went to bed with my earphones on, I recognized that there is a hidden message on Smell The Roses right in the middle part where things break loose. It is underlaid repeatedly with a phrase spoken by Rog pitched down to half speed. I tried to analyze this morning with audacity by doubling the speed of this section but I can’t really get it. Should be something like: “Because anybody… whatever… find someone.” – Can anybody get the words?

Galeans likes this.
  9. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

No doubt they're written by a few SH forum members already posting in this thread.

Zeki and PDK like this.
  10. Captain Caveman

I seriously think this is a masterpiece.

11. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

Sadly my vinyl copy was totally scratched (assumeably because of the inner cardsleeves) ; waiting for the replacement... which is hopefully better

FashionBoy likes this.
  12. Captain Caveman

Has there ever been a thread where someone hasn't moaned about a scratched vinyl?

I need to examine my digital download more closely, I think, I'm feeling left out.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Only listened a couple of times but quite liked it and suspect its a grower. Hope it doesn't sound too dumb to say it sounds like Floyd in parts! Will look forward to delving in!

Captain Caveman likes this.
  14. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Wow, i cant believe how tiny Nick Mason is in real life.

:)

15. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Forum Resident

I agree, this is a grower. By far the worst sounding album he's ever been involved in, ironically much much worse than 60's Floyd - a regression in sound quality to say the least and I will not purchase this album for my stereo rig. I tried streaming to the stereo and couldn't bear it for more than 5 minutes - I had to stop it. However on AirPods via Apple Music it's just bearable and the content is superb. Very poor mastering though, and the drum sounds are truly terrible.

pantofis, samskeyti and Kalli like this.
  16. Captain Caveman

Just about bearable? Too funny. After reading comments like this and elsewhere in this forum I do wonder if there might be a genetic mutation of the species which is making the normal enjoyment of music more difficult for certain individuals.

Maybe we should collect some data and see if we can get funding for full research.

Fungusmungus, ammoj2 and PDK like this.
  17. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

yeah after listening, I think if they had used more room sound on the drums it may have helped them blend in a bit better

I also think Roger's voice doesn't have to be RIGHT IN YOUR FACE all the time...lots of moments they could have brought him way back with some reverb, and let the music come forward more

"take a picture" is screaming for a decent minimoog solo, rather than that rather generic melodic line about 3/4 thru

also when it breaks down right at the end...perfect opportunity for the guitar solo and some jamming to let the song fade out.

as it is, it just peters out

oh well...who the hell am I?? I can only assume Rog wanted the LP exactly the way it is.

lots of nods to his past though...the intro track reminds me a lot of "speak to me" off DSOTM

some obvious copping of Floyd lyric lines, throughout

the cough at the intro of "broken bones" mimics DG on WYWH

DrZhivago likes this.
  18. Cpoen

Cpoen Member

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a vinyl copy of this album.
    To help me with that, I have listened to it on Spotify, and a friends CD copy. But they both sound very "muffed" and not very clear to me. I'm having a hard time hearing any hihat or symbols. The best way to describe it is like the whole thing sounds like im listening to it with cotton in my ears.
    Is the vinyl version like that too?

19. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

"picture that" sure reminds me a lot of "raving and drooling"

especially the live versions...

actually I bet "picture that" sounds fantastic live.

I sure hope they unleash Dave Kilminster to play some solos over that, he is an amazing guitar player!!

mando_dan and Sigma6 like this.
  20. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Forum Resident

Oh goody, another apologist. Get off your high horse and don't presume to tell me what I should or should not like.

samskeyti and rontoon like this.
  21. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Were all of those F bombs just meant to be funny?Maybe it`s just me,99% of the time I don`t care but this time I couldn`t stop laughing!:biglaugh:

23. Captain Caveman

Fair enough. But can I ask what other albums with good music on them you have been physically unable to listen to?

PDK likes this.
  24. Captain Caveman

BeatleJWOL, BGLeduc and PDK like this.
  25. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

I've only Played it once and really liked it, and it Sounds fine to me.

Captain Caveman and PDK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.