New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

Am I right that this SHM SACD has the shorter edited version originally Used for the vinyl edition while the MFSL has the full long versions?

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

When I spend $40 on a new CD, then my approach is to keep everything in "as new" condition. I only extract the disc one time and then make an effort to get the packaging back into that evil plastic bag. I store the SACD in a rounded sleeve within a binder.

PhantomStranger and jonstatt like this.
  3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The Platinum SHM-SACD of LEON RUSSELL sounds very nice indeed. Better than the stereo DVD-Audio disc from way back, IMO.

masterbucket and jh901 like this.
  5. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

Anybody heard the SHM-SACD of "Goodbye" by Cream? That one just came out on May 28.

6. They are not particularly convenient for handling but I would consider a SHM-SACD without its plastic bag as incomplete. I store the disc in a separate case from the rest of the packaging.

jonstatt likes this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is the one drawback of this SACD release.

8. eelkiller

What about against the Gold DCC? I did not bother ordering this one as the DCC is fantastic.

masterbucket likes this.
  9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks, I will go for this one.

I see eelkiller wonder how it compares to the DCC Gold. I know what the differences will be talking about resolution and things like that, but what about tonality?

art likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I don't know the DCC gold CD to LEON RUSSELL.

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I have it but haven't played it yet. Will report back once I do ...

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Best I've heard it sound. Decent bass, solid mids.... Caveat in that the only other version I've ever heard/had is the original Drake CD. This tops that one. But given it's has no bonus live track's and is barely 30 min of music the expense may be only be worth it only to big time Cream fans. So for me worth it.

BIG ED and PhantomStranger like this.
  13. HedgeHog

HedgeHog Well-Known Member

Got the Asia - Alpha (SHM-SACD). Songs were pretty good (been a while since I listened to the album). Sonically, the depth and instruments separation was pretty impressive. But like the Asia (S/T) SHM-SACD, it kinda lacked fullness and bass. The two bonus tracks are nice. The first song was pretty strong and could have been on the original album. The second song was good but too similar.

c-eling and jacek2 like this.
  14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Keep them SHM boxes in the bags to protect them. Condition obviously affects resale value.

The bags are a pain to deal with. As I've posted before, I store the SHM discs in jewel cases so I only have to deal with the box and bag once.

ti-triodes and jonstatt like this.
  15. eelkiller

I asked because it is better than the DVD audio IMO, the bar has been set high with the gold disc.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think the SHM-SACD of ALPHA sounded very good ... and I liked the album better than I'd remembered it, to boot.

bru87tr likes this.
  17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Ahh…..finally we got Platinum SHM-SACDs….:p

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

My feeling is it's the recordings and the era in which they were made. They could have goosed the bass in mastering but I'd rather have faithful to the era instead of revisionism for better or worse. Since SACD's on many systems [due to lack of or weak analog bass mgmt] can inherently be thin on bass and fullness to begin with - my opinion is hi-res on these recordings may sound worse than redbook . Please note this does not apply to gear with good analog bass mgmt or the ability to play back direct DSD to the amp when HDMI or proprietary link is setup correctly.

19. nesyarug

nesyarug Forum Resident

What a fantastic album Songs From The Big Chair. And the SHM-SACD has so much resolution. I understand why some may say it is a bit bass shy, but it would be a mistake not to get this release based on that report alone. Tonality, soundstage, air it is all there.

Hope they will release The Hurting and The Seeds Of Love as well some day...

PROG U.K. and the dark knight like this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I know, I know ... Oops.

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Good to know thanks, waiting on the 78Pt to be delivered

22. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Got my Tears for Fears today. Well, sounds nice to me. Maybe not a reference recording, but it sounds natural and rich to my ears!

the dark knight likes this.
  23. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

This finally was released?!? I've had it on order from CD Japan since the winter, and no notification from them on its status other than delayed...

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yup, got my copy from CD Japan.

25. eelkiller

Do you have it on the same order as one still to be released? That would explain the delay, send an email to their customer service.