New Speakers needed for a jazz fan

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Sonnier, Aug 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Cornwall will blow the Forte II away.

2. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which Maggie's would you suggest for my bedroom... I could get away with 2 ft off the wall but not 3. When I move back to the otjer bedroom (which is really my misoc room / no bed) I can more easily do out to 3ft from wall... Even though tje room is slightly smaller. My current room (Master BR) has a bed so, so speaker placement from wall more limited

Thanks!

3. David Sonnier

Good to know!! It's always better tongwt real world advice

4. David Sonnier

Sometimes I think it's kinda boomy to... But iy varies where I sit and I it may be I need to male some sort of bass trap. Maybe the speaker is jist too big ya think?

Btw... What music dis you play? Jazz? Jist curious. What did you think bof them? I really like mine.. considering I bought them used for about 150 .. they are great

5. David Sonnier

A
    ll these Cornwall replies.. I'd love to hear these speakers and the KlipschHorns too.

Corwallsbhve gone through a 4 series it looks like.. is there wildly different sounds from series to series? Is there a series to avoid?

Probably subtle differences between each series I'm assuming

6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I know that the Totem Sky was mentioned as a used possibility but also the Totem Skylight is at budget brand new. They have reviewed quite well.

cut-out likes this.
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

With a budget of $1K, only pre Cornwall IIIs will fit.

8. David Sonnier

Someone within couple hours drive has a pair of Zu Omens for sale at 1500. In pretty finish. I'd consider those a good possiblity.. dont these retail at about 2400?

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Right, so why not buy your own Monoprice all-tube if it sounded nice?

10. David Sonnier

I will at some point. I'm happy with my Emotiva amp/preamp for now. I had wanted to borrow so I could hear what a very low powered amp would sound like with my Klipsch speakers.. was very surprised at how well it worked. Also.. not sure tube amo to get.. i.e. price point, and features.

11. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Are they the Mk. II?

12. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

.7s for sure. I demod those and the 1.7is and sound was very similar just need more space for the bigger speakers. There’s definitely math going on with sweet spot in the triangle...but man when I got myself seated in the sweet spot it was obvious, just sweet. Music wise I listen to a lot Mark Knopfler, James Taylor and sometimes leave the Jazz Groove on for days on end.

the 62iis aren’t small speakers and I had same problem, had them backed up to the wall which results in bass frequencies being reinforced ...it was too much. They are so efficient I think you could power them with an iPod so if you go tubes, Klipsch is your friend

but I’m going Maggie’s in my next house. Moving next month

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Klipschorn is an incredible speaker. Few will outperform it. It is the speaker of choice at my friends dual WE 300B amp system with $7K modified Marantz tube preamp. He uses original WE 300B tubes. He has 130 NIB WE 300B tubes. Yes, he is likely the largest vintage tube dealer in the world.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I don't know about avoid, but at some point the horns were changed to a Tractrix expansion, and doubtless significant crossover changes to boot. Knowing now-chief engineer Roy Delgado, I'm going to presume those changes lead to less "horn honk" while still keeping the good parts of the horn sound.

15. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

:bigeek:

16. I'd go with the Mini Lores. They are very sensitive. Used in my HT setup with Yamaha YPAO setup, all other speakers are boosted +4db

Tim Irvine likes this.
  17. David Sonnier

No.. original version

18. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

If you decide to go that route, consider that a likely byproduct of Eric's ceaseless tinkering and resultant launching of new models is that many Tekton owners have ditched what they had for things like Double Impacts and Moabs. As a result there seem to be a lot of other Tekton models available at better prices than new.

19. David Sonnier

Thanks... Yes I'm keeping an eye out for used as well.

I posted earlier about finding a pretty good price on a pair of Zu Omens (first gen) for 1500. It's in one of the premium finishes. But honestly it seems the newer Omen Dirty Weekends (mk2) have significant improvements to rival mk 1 Omens.

Been talking to Zu a little.. they are so helpful and quick to reply.. extremely helpful with making Omen Mk1 and DW mk2 decisions. I may end up getting new pair of DW mk2 with capacitor upgrade. Thats just a tad over a grand. Nice thing about these is they can run well on theblow power tube amps if I decide to add tubes later

Dignan2000 likes this.
  20. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Some of these dots are hard to connect. You state you also plan to add a low-powered tube integrated. You're not going to get plenty of bass with low powered tubes and the Klipsch models you are looking at. Honestly your options become so much easier to configure if you were willing to add a sub. Otherwise your musical priorities seem to match better with SS amplification and a dynamic floorstander. Maybe consider some of the ELAC models.

21. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Never heard Zus, but as a Tekton owner I would be fascinated to be able to compare them. Some folks on this forum really like them.

22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The Zu DWII's go down to 35 Hz. I run mine with 8 WPC SET amp, and there is plenty of bass with Jazz - the only thing I play through them.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  23. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I wasn't sure about the specs on the Zu's and I'd be curious to hear them someday. With an 8w SET the quality of the transformers can make a big difference, especially with bass. Which SET do you have? (I'm knee-deep in reviewing SET options myself).

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Coincident Dynamo SE-34 with 300B.

Ontheone likes this.
  25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

JBL L100, like you I listen to Jazz with some late 60s & 70s rock, I have them and they are great,
    check out this thread
    JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.