New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

A lot of seasoned artist are scared to take the risk of making an out of the box album.

2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

It was iTunes ....

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.12.12 PM.png

NunoBento likes this.
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The picture on the web site made it look like it would resemble a blue sky with clouds....as imperfect as that would be on colored vinyl. Mine was also clear with wisps of blue and white. But I mostly buy colored vinyl to look at. Plus, it seems that these B&N exclusives are pretty much gone. Enjoy it.

Amen!!!!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I don't know why, I didn't see it. Maybe the UK shop and the US shop have different review systems.

Thanks for this! I have an article now ;)

Hawkman likes this.
  5. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Oddly, one of my discs is mostly blue, like the website picture. But the other disc is mostly clear as you described.

floyd likes this.
  6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I played this whole album yesterday afternoon and paid close attention to all of it.
    It's a nice, mellow album for a quiet afternoon to enjoy with a nice glass of whiskey.
    Very reflective and moody. You need to be in the right frame of mind for it.
    It's a good album overall, however I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. It's an album for the older fans who have been riding along for awhile on the long trail with 'the boss'...

Highlights so far for me are:

Tuscon Train
    Western Stars
    (lovely song)
    Chasin' Wild Horses
    Sundown

There Goes My Miracle
    (in a fair world this would be a hit all over the radio)
    Hello Sunshine

(The 3 tracks they previewed are among the strongest on the album)

I suspect that this album will grow on me in time (I've only listened to it all once, but I'm now hearing it again on You Tube), but for now I'll give it a solid ***/5

This is an album that seems 'out of time' which in fact makes it kind of 'timeless'.

[​IMG]

Thanks, boss!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    enro99, Vinyl_Blues and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  7. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I think it's because none of them work as hard as he does - they don't agonise, which is one of his defining characteristics. This is why I've never felt let down by a Springsteen album, even WOAD. I appreciate that he's reaching for something, even if he doesn't always grasp it. Of course, most of the time he does. (I like two thirds of WOAD.)

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You picked my favorite tracks, but I would add “Stones”, a song that grows on you.
    I agree about “Miracle” being a huge hit - in an alternate universe.

enro99, OptimisticGoat and Mfj55 like this.
  9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

If a fan liked "Devils And Dust" and the better parts of "Working On A Dream", I'd recommend this album to them in a heartbeat!

Vinyl_Blues and OptimisticGoat like this.
  10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I will enjoy it (I'm just bitching a little :) ) I was just curious if some were closer to the colors shown and from kouzie reply above it appears at least some were closer to the displayed example

11. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

As someone who really hasn't liked much Bruce has done in quite a few years I wasn't optimistic about this album but I'm quite pleased to say that it was an enjoyable listen. I might listen to it a couple more times to decide if I want to actually purchase the CD but I am happy with it after one listen. Hopefully more will increase my feelings towards the album.

JoeF., bob60 and RSteven like this.
  12. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I think he knows much more than we
    do. Unless "we" get called in, play some drums, gets paid and goes home. Which is probably pretty similar to any E Street Band members. At least judging from their comments over the years regarding some tracks that never made it to release. I'm not gonna bust this dudes chops because he laid down some tracks that he thought were gonna make the cut, only to
    discover that they didn't.

13. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Hitch Hikin’ is THE song on the album for me so far.

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

On first listen, that's my favourite also.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Although, Sleepy Joe's Cafe gets worse with every listen.

JoeF. likes this.
  16. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

The segue from Chasin’ Wild Horses to Sundown flows perfectly, as the intro to Sundown almost sounds like a coda for Chasin’.

I’ve only listened to the album 3 times; I’m trying not to wear it out. The vinyl sounds amazing (I have the regular black pressing).

Funny reading all of the thoughts on Sleepy Joe’s Cafe. I pegged it as one that people would really like.

alan967tiger, Adam9 and daveidmarx like this.
  17. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is hard to remember a more positive response to a Springsteen album in the post-reunion era....

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I respectfully disagree. It is a necessary change of pace from the relentlessness of the lyrical and musical content of the rest of the album. Think Sloop John B, rather than Good Vibrations.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You and me both. I finally watched Broadway about ten days ago and enjoyed it more than I expected (especially the first half). Then, yesterday, I picked up the autobio, which I’ve had for a couple years. Fifty-some pages in, and I’m really enjoying it...

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If only it was that good.

21. mrjinks

I’m like you, one disc looks like the website pic, the other is essentially clear. Bizarre.
    [​IMG]

Mazzy likes this.
  22. One looks like the sky and one looks like the clouds; seems spot on conceptually.

J_D__ and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  23. mrjinks

Perhaps, but the B&N promo pics look like this - so, not quite what they delivered...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    marcb likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am going to wait for the "Stripped" version

25. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks for the photo. Both of mine are clear. They must have run out of blue coloring. The blue does look nice

mrjinks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.