New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'll say it one more time then let it go. If you have Amazon Prime then drop CBS All Access and get it through the Prime app and video and sound issues should all be gone, or at least they were for me.

wayneklein, Taxman and Spencer R like this.
  2. Indeed, that along with other issues is why I switched to watching it on Amazon.

3. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

So here's what happened last night. I tried again at 11 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time and still had the same issues. So I decided to try the version of CBS All Access that's available as part of Amazon's Prime Video service.

And wow, what a difference. The whole show streamed just fine with no problems and I did notice better sound quality. Once my seven day trial expires, I'm keeping
    the service. My membership to the regular version expires next week, so I went ahead and canceled it.

As for the episode itself, I liked it but a few things did bother me. The character of Tilly seems to be regressing, which I blame on the writers. She clearly has what it takes to be a captain of a starship, based on some of the things we've seen her do. But this week, the character was all over the place. This week, there were far too many characters crammed into the story, also, I feel.

Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a solid 8. But a few tweaks here and there could have made it a classic.

Taxman likes this.
  4. Yeah I also find it hard to believe that Tilly will ever be a Captain. I don't think she has what it takes to be a Captain at all. She's a goof ball. Even in the other universe, how would she have made it through Starfleet Academy?

Good episode, some nice touches.

budwhite likes this.
  5. Great to see that the term ‘babygirl’ exists well in to the future. 23 skidoo.

BZync and Dr. Pepper like this.
  6. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

We have been straining to make out the dialogue for Discovery ever since we subscribed to the CBS All Access, and the picture has always seemed indistinct. Tonight I tried rewatching the most recent episode on Amazon. WOW! Night and day difference-sound and picture. I am left wondering if we just have an older version of the CBS app because we subscribed right at the start. I am going to delete it and download it anew.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Does the Amazon version of CBS All Access have all of the same features that the one through my Roku does? In other words, can I get the subscription without commercials, paying more for it? Will I still get access to my local live CBS station 24/7? Will I be able to access all of that on Android and on my Windows PC?

8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I just checked, and yes my local station (KCBS) is right at the top. Yes on the windows PC and android. Yes, you can pay the 9.99 for the commercial free service.

One caveat, I did run in to one show (Perry Mason), where the amazon version was missing a couple seasons even though they were on the native CBS app.

9. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I don't think the AI will become the Borg. The Borg already exist. They were retconned into an episode of Enterprise.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That's my thought but those looked an awful lot like nanites. We are dealing with time travel shenanigans, at least.

11. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The Borg want to reshape everything thing in their image, not wipe it all out.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Do you speak for the Borg, are you part of the hive mind?

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Also true.

I'm not rooting for the idea, just noticing that they're straying rather close :|

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I agree about the soundmix. I'm watching on netflix. The dialog could be way better.
    I'm annoyed by the modern trend of whispering actors and Yeoh's english is far from perfect.

The episode was alright but one of the weaker this season.

Definitely agree about Tilly. She is as far away from Captain material as you could get.
    Why did they write her like that in the first season if they are not going anywhere with it? She's about 30 years old I guess but acts like a teen girl

15. Dr. Pepper

I'm alright with her, but she does seem like she would fit in to a 1960s sitcom called, "Oh, That Silly Tilly!"

BZync and budwhite like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One would hope only to be used in a derogatory manner, surely we've evolved by then...

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe the character was recycled from old CSI cast notes...or somebody spliced the Ellen-Degeneres-babble gene...?

18. Dr. Pepper

Oh man I'm depressed!
    Man a recent interview gave enough clues that I'm sure the end of the season will have Pike heading out to be on The Starfleet Academy show they have been talking about. I so wanted to see him on the Enterprise for a few seasons, oh well.

David Campbell and fitzysbuna like this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I suppose that's better than him ending up in his gray wheelchair, which is how I was figuring the season would end.

20. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Pike and Spock should have some more time on the Enterprise. Kirk isn't due to take the big chair for a few more years.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  21. Wow. What a great episode tonight. I like the way they integrated Pike's story.

Meng, BeatleJWOL and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  22. I'm there with you. Pike's character has been well developed here. Maybe I'm also bringing my like of Anson in the role as well but, man, he brings Pike back to life.

SJP, budwhite and Shawn like this.
  23. Um.....

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was wondering how that wheelchair would look.

25. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

When the season is over, I'll subscribe and binge watch it.