New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Drew

Drew Senior Member

It isn't a feminist conspiracy. The characters just aren't that interesting. I gave it 3 seasons. I'm out. I'm done.

Shawn and glennzo like this.
  2. It will be interesting to see what they do with season two of Picard. On the whole, I liked it but Agnes as you pointed out murdered someone. Under mind control or not, there should be consequences in some form. I also didn’t buy the whole,’mind control’ aspect of it. It seemed too contrived to me.

As to Discovery’s quality, the first season had it’s moments and some nice twists. The second season despite some uncertain moments was cool and I enjoyed seeing Pike intersect with Discovery but the third season was largely a snooze.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  3. I’ll try season four to see where it goes. Season three had some promise but I found it underwhelming.

Shawn likes this.
  4. Reportedly (if the rumors I read some time back are true), they will go in that direction although I’d be fine with three episode story arcs for the right stories.

eddiel likes this.
  5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I haven’t come close to watching all of the Deep Space Nine/Next Generation/Lower Deck spinoffs, but, to me, Saru is the best Star Trek character since Spock. Again, I haven’t come close to watching all of the “canon.”

SJP and Shawn like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Certainly one of the best alien characters.

SJP, Shawn and Spencer R like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I was surprised to see her in it as I had no idea she had been cast and it's not something I would've expected anyway. But she is great in it. Definitely would like to see more of her character in S04.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

9. I feel the opposite. But maybe if they fleshed her character out more she wouldn’t be so one-dimensional and having such predictable dialog.

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

This is true about most of the leading characters. They seem two dimensional. Once in a while someone will laugh like real people or show emotions that you can actually see they feel by their body language.

sunspot42 and Shawn like this.
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The last season was a bit..hohum. See what season 4 brings.

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I have just finished watching the 3 seasons of Discovery and liked it very much.

It was nice watching how the characters evolved from the first episode to the last one, especially Michael and Saru.

The final scene was a fitting ending to the series, but if there's more to come... let's fly!

BeatleJWOL, MikeJedi and SJP like this.
  13. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The 4th season has already been filmed, and the 5th is rumored to be in the cards.

5th-beatle and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

any news when season 3 is coming to bluray?

15. BeatleJWOL

fitzysbuna likes this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Star Trek is like Keith Richards: it will outlive us all.

AudioEnz and Rachael Bee like this.
  17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Even if DISCOVERY goes 5 "seasons", that will still only be about 75 episodes, just under the original STAR TREK's 79 episodes.

BeatleJWOL and Curveboy like this.
  18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Dr. Pepper, misterdecibel and Bink like this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

Well that's just rude.

This is actually really crappy on Paramount's part. When this show was first coming out everybody knew it was going to premiere on CBS All Access at the time. Doing this now to their non-US customers the week of the season premiere is also just plain rude.

And of course now the actors are taking crap for it on social media, as if they were expected to know any of this. Anthony Rapp put out a great sort-of-apology on Twitter that he shouldn't have had to make:
    https://twitter.com/albinokid/status/1460811969053745158

Curveboy, Shawn and Bink like this.
  21. HGN2001

Essential Plan
    $4.99/month or $49.99/year

• Stream with limited commercial interruptions
    • Watch 30,000+ episodes and movies on demand
    • Access Paramount+ Originals and more exclusive programming
    • Stream NFL on CBS and Champions League live*
    • Get 24/7 national news with CBSN
    • NO LOCAL, LIVE CBS CHANNEL

Sorry, but those of you who are holdouts in the US might want to actually subscribe. For the cost of just one extravagant Starbucks coffee per month, you could have access to all of STAR TREK on Paramount+.

I admit to not being aware of the cost in other countries, but it surely cannot be too much more than that. I've been a subscriber since day one - and at a higher cost than that without commercials. Everyone wanted streaming dammit, now live with it!

Curveboy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

a la carte channels? We're there.

23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's not so easy outside the US. Paramount + simply isn't available.

Curveboy likes this.
  24. HGN2001

I suspect that it soon will be.

25. BeatleJWOL

No suspicion needed! From the article:
    So yeah, sometime next year. Not in itself an issue, just the announcement literal days before the show starts is really bad.