New Streaming Service On Way: NBC Universal/Peacock

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by LilacTeardrop, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here" Thread Starter

brownie61, MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  2. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

IMO, these individual networks creating their own streaming services is getting to saturation point, if not past that. Then again, I hardly watch much mainstream network TV anymore. A lot of it doesn't hold my interest, and with their own streaming services that have exclusive programming, it's even more that doesn't hold interest for me!

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

:doh:
    By the way, Hulu just called, said, "Ummm, didn't we already do this...?"

4. There isn't a single streaming service yet that has enough stuff I'm interested in, that I'd paid $120/year for. (I'm assuming they're all at least $10/month.)

So much so, that I've never subscribed to a one of them - not even Netflix, or Amazon (though I signed up for Prime a couple months ago, for other reasons, so I guess I've got access to their stuff if I wanted -- though I'm thinking of cancelling my Prime now, cuz the need for it is largely gone now, having to do with getting stuff sent to my 92-year old father quickly, and he's 1,000 miles away).

Anyway, my big point is that I've pretty much never streamed video content enough to ever even worry about trying to figure out how to have it show on our real TV. We just have a laptop over on the far side of the room, and running cables all the way over there seems like such a pain. I'm guessing there's some way to do it wirelessly, but I've never had any great urge to try and figure all that out yet.

One things for sure, I'm definitely not going to watch stuff on our laptop, or on our phones. That's fine for gifs off Reddit, and YouTube clips. But for actually watching real content, I'd really much rather see that on a real TV.

Our wireless router and cable modem aren't so hot, and our cable TV box is like 8 years old, so you can tell keeping up with technology isn't our highest priority.

The cable company sent us a new modem about 4 years ago, and said we had to upgrade to it because the old modem had speed issues. But I never could get the new modem to work as reliably (it was crazy fast, but then it wouldn't connect at all half the time), and I finally gave up, and just re-installed the old one. It's probably not as fast as the new one was supposed to be, but that was the only way I could get it all to work with my limited technical knowledge (and not wanting to spend probably $100 on some service call).

It'd be nice if I had somebody to figure out all this stuff for us, and really get us up to speed, but I'm not even sure our wireless router is really what it ought to be, and Comcast probably is only gonna bother messing with their own equipment, and won't really do anything with the equipment that's ours.

None of this stuff is seamless, and I haven't got time -- or won't make time, is more like it (yes, I'll confess) -- to really mess with it. I keep telling myself I'll get around to it one of these days, but then before I know it, it's like 2 years later, and it all still kinda-sorta works, and the devil I know isn't as bad as the devil I don't, so I just don't ever bother with it.

I see all these ads with their voice-activated remotes, while practically all the Comcast equipment we have is the same stuff we got when we moved here back in early 2011. Maybe eventually I'll get around to it. (And poof, another 2 years goes by.)

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Some tech guy on youtube , said all this streaming stuff could fail
    as most people have short attention spans and don't want to waste a lot of money
    on a streaming service for on a few shows.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    raveoned likes this.
  6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. I'm thinking about starting a service that will put all these channels in one place for one payment. I'll call it Cable.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hard pass. I got enough.....if they did it the right way, include everything in the nbc vaults, every failed sitcom, tv movie etc.... but it reads like cbs all access (a smattering of favorite shows)

9. LilacTeardrop

Hope you're right...I've done w/out CBS All Access just fine, w/out any feeling of missing out on anything. I'm more bummed about USA shows, along w/NBC's going there, as in the last 10-15 years, USA's had quite a bit of programming I've enjoyed. I still frequently catch re-runs of Psych & Monk on other cable networks - I don't remember which ones they are. But, since they still make me laugh, & I find them more entertaining than a lot of current programs, I would miss them & am bummed the Psych movie has been moved. :sigh: Oh well.

More about Peacock:

Launching ‘The Office’ Reboot “A Goal” For NBCU Streamer Peacock – Deadline

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The number of streaming services has become ridiculous. Every time another network announces a new service, I laugh and wonder who is going to subscribe to all these services. As things I find of interest splinter off into more and more required subscriptions, I watch less and less TV.

rockclassics and Bluesman Mark like this.
  11. Dillydipper

:idea: Heeeey, why don't we assemble all the streaming services onto one platform, and charge, I dunno, howabout, one single price for them...! :angel:

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

So much excitement, that the guy who brought us Mr. Robot, is going to be helming the new re-boot of Battlestar Galactica. Because, you know, nothing says "quality television" like using the same old people to make the same old shows we already liked when the already ended them. :shrug: Why, why, why.

13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

We could call it 'Television'!

14. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I'm soooo out of the loop on all this & that makes me happy.

TV? Unless I'm watching Adult Swim or a vintage movie on TCM, I simply don't turn it on, unless I'm watching a DVD/Blu, or I'm on my PS2 or PS3. If I catch Night Court on Laff I watch it sometimes.

The only 2 sitcoms I really care about are both vintage, M*A*S*H & Sanford & Son, & I have complete collections of both on DVD. I also have all 6 seasons of Justified on DVD. I simply lack the patience to keep up with any TV show these days, & being honest, have lacked it for decades. I'd rather read a book.

Since sometime in the 80s I've tuned out on TV with few exceptions & no regrets. Streaming? Not worth my time or money. We have cable largely for my wife who watches some shows & otherwise uses the TV for background noise. For me, I prefer silence when home alone, or I listen to music.

15. Dillydipper

We would call it "cable". Add shopping, religious, sports and 4 or 5 corporate-adgenda-targeted news perspectives, and we would call it, "expanded basic cable". :tiphat:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  16. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I've struggled to understand what you are saying here, but failed.

17. the pope ondine

get a relative to get it and borrow their password and youre in for free :pineapple:

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The way you watch streaming services on your real TV isn’t by wirelessly connecting your laptop to your real TV, it’s by connecting an Apple TV, Roku, or Amazon Fire TV box to your TV and using that to access the streaming services. I know many cable services feature on demand viewing, but since I’ve switched to streaming and being able to watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it, without commercials, I’d never switch back to cable or satellite.

19. Dillydipper

Don't feel bad, I'm struggling to understand why you pretend my meaning isn't obvious.

So, you've never seen studios spending more efforts to re-tell the same old stories instead of putting creative forces to work doing fresh new projects. I guess we're supposed to praise them because they're not doing a series called Mrs. Robot instead, or Chicago Law & Order.

20. the pope ondine

yeah, really just popping to 25 sheckles for a roku stick is the easiest cheapest, tons of free content right there, plutotv is on there and gives you a gazillion shows

21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't know, still can't understand. If you are just generally lamenting the idea of reboots and so on, fine. But you mentioned "same old people", and I wouldn't put Sam Esmail in that category. Mr. Robot is a fairly recent, progressive and complex show, at times rather experimental, so it's not like they dug up Aaron Spelling here. Sam Esmail has put out a few very original, non-reboot, pieces of entertainment out there, have you seen them?

And as far as specifically a reboot of Galactica, that franchise still has many fans, of multiple generations now; it's not apples to apples but it's not dissimilar to me as the idea of launching yet another Star Trek or Star Wars show. If you look at any channel or services offerings, I think you'll find reboots of old TV shows are in the great minority. There are too many new creative shows coming out every week these days for anyone to even keep track of.

There's something odd about your phrase "we are supposed to praise them." I don't think anyone is "supposed to praise them." People are either excited about a new version of Galactica, driven by a guy who is well regarded for intelligent television, or they aren't. We're excited and/or surprised, or not. There's no praise involved, until the show airs.

22. LilacTeardrop

:wave:Thank you for posting thoughtful, useful information. I'd never heard of plutotv. :tiphat::righton:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I feel some streaming services will collapse especially network tv ones
    When most people have abandoned network tv for netflix amazon pbs etc.
    This is too fast too soon.
    I will buy it on dvd if there something I want.

24. the pope ondine

No problem :righton: watching the 24 hour poker channel right now! :-popcorn:

25. LilacTeardrop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.