New Talk Talk Vinyl from EMI announced?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

I may have missed it but there was some speculation earlier in the thread that these were to be 45rpm. That would be too good to be true, but are they? :angel:

Keen to hear your comments vs. UK first pressing.

Cheers,
    mondie

2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

They are regular 33rpm LPs. The speculation early in the thread came from the fact that these were listed as 2 disc sets. But soon later they turned out to be LP+DVD sets, not 2LP sets.

3. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Ok, thanks for confirming, new it was too good to be true :)

4. BeeJayDeeJay

BeeJayDeeJay Disque Jockey

The DSD remasters were done in 2003 while the CD layer is sourced from the 1997 remaster. (Both Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden)

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Based on this, what's the sonic value over the original CD release? It's not like the original CD master was lacking in dynamics.

This is Phill Brown's (engineer for Spirit of Eden) info on the recording process:
    http://users.cybercity.dk/~bcc11425/IntWWpb1198.html

6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

What are you waiting for! Get comparing! :)

What exactly are on these DVD's?

7. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Well, the CD is limited to 44.1K sample rate while the Mitsu could've been run at 48K, doesn't say. The SACD rip I have does seem to be limited to just over 20K (execpt for the DSD noise shaping) and the spectrum looks pretty similar to the CD...

8. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

Just bought these releases but only need the DVD. If anybody wants the Vinyl we can split costs. Please PM me.

Please note, as I'm living in the Netherlands shipping to the US is expensive ($25 for both albums)

9. krenzler

krenzler Forum Resident

So how does the new 180g The Colour of Spring compare to an original pressing - anyone?

10. I picked up a copy of the Spirit Of Eden LP/DVD today. I haven't listened to the LP yet, but the hi-res audio on the DVD sounds fantastic. Much more detail and dynamics compared to the 1997 remaster. Limited to redbook audio or not, this is an excellent reissue of a great album. I guess I'll pick up Colour Of Spring as well.

11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Fairly please with the one I have but please share the lp feeling once it happens. :)

12. Progger58

Progger58 Forum Resident

I'm also curious to read impressions about these new vinyl reissues. :righton:

Demetrio.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It is posts like this that empty my wallet!!!

14. englishbob

so, what is on the DVD's again?

15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

The album plus one bonus track each (It's Getting Late In The Evening on Colour of Spring and John Cope on Spirit of Eden) in a 96KHZ/24 bit stereo mix.

16. englishbob

Oh, "In the Evening" is a classic!

Do the DVD's just play without a menu (i.e. you can just put the disc in to play without turning on the TV?)

17. You have to navigate through a very simple menu. First you have to select the regular album (instead of the bonus track), then you have the option to select a track or to play all. I believe pressing Enter twice after the menu has loaded will do the trick if you don't want to turn on the TV.

18. Yovra

:righton:It is one of their key-tracks and it deserves a lot of attention! I don't know yet about the DVD...it may depend on your hardware...

19. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Amazon.ca now has Spirit of Eden LP/DVD at $19.56

20. englishbob

These have ramped up to over £22 now on Amazon UK. :(

Still no word on the (quality of the) vinyl then?

21. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

What happens if you stick it in the player, let the menu load, then hit the play button on the remote and/or player?

22. Yovra

On my player (a Denon SACD/DVD/CD-player) you have to press play twice after loading, I didn't find a way yet to acces the bonustracks yet...
    I just had a guick listen and the DVD-A sounds great indeed, I'll add the text/explanation that was written on the back of the Spirit of Eden-DVD tomorrow! (And I'm sorry; didn't test the vinyl yet...)

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Is it the expalanation about the resolution? someone posted it in another forum

They probably wrote that so nobody accuses them of a fake hi-rez release, after doing a spectral analysis of the DVD-A.

24. Yovra

Which makes me quite curious about the vinyl source...is it an analogue transfer from the analogue album master or something else?

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes, but the "analogue album master" contains a digital mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.