New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I bought the 9LP Indie version awhile back in a impulsive late night decision. I saw TP many times through the years including seeing Mudcrutch in Gainesville during college. Regarding Mudcrutch I have no memory of their music but do remember skinny bass player with stringy blond hair and never put it together that it was Tom Petty until the first Mudcrutch record.

Did late night dive (see it’s a pattern) playing Original Wildflowers and Live Tracks. I am still blown away as to how good this set sounds.
    I really enjoy that you get to hear the band stretch out on the Live tracks. Thinking I made right decision for me as I can see I will listen to this set with regularity.
    I am such a fan it’s almost embarrassing. But IMO , the music we like is what heals us from time to time.

bonus, warewolf95, Ere and 11 others like this.
  2. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

3. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I saw this last night too. I'm certainly interested, but I wonder how much overlap of footage there will be between this new project and the "400 Days" documentary.

warewolf95, Hep Alien and J_D__ like this.
  4. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Any recommendations for outer sleeves that would hold the 3LP version? I have a couple triple LPs that I need outer sleeves for.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

New 2XLP Wildflowers Release: - Petty, Tom - Finding Wildflowers (Alternate Versions) Gold Vinyl

[​IMG]

Disc 1
    Track
    Title

1 A Higher Place
    2 Hard on Me
    3 Cabin Down Below
    4 Crawling Back To You
    5 Only a Broken Heart
    6 Drivin’ Down To Georgia
    7 You Wreck Me
    8 It’s Good to Be King

Disc 2

Track
    Title

1 House in The Woods
    2 Honey Bee
    3 Girl On LSD
    4 Cabin Down Below (Acoustic Version)
    5 Wildflowers
    6 Don’t Fade on Me
    7 Wake Up Time
    8 You Saw Me Comin’

6. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

Is that the same as what's in the 9 LP box set?

7. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Yes, but in the 9lp box they were ‘exclusive’. Now they will be widely available for 30 bucks!

Cant wait for the live versions LPs in time for Christmas.

8. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

I just received this announcement (via promo for new single "You Saw Me Comin'"):

Finding Wildflowers (Alternate Versions)—the latest offering of Tom Petty music, curated with help from his loving family, bandmates and collaborators—will be released on April 16 via Warner Records. The tracks, which were previously released on the limited-edition Super Deluxe 9-LP version of 2020’s Wildflowers & All The Rest, will now be available on limited edition gold vinyl for TomPetty.com and indie retail, CDs and on all digital streaming platforms for the first time. A black vinyl release will follow on May 7.

Today, “You Saw Me Comin’,” a previously unreleased song and recording from 1992 and the final track on the collection, is premiering alongside a video directed by Joel Kazuo Knoernschild and Katie Malia. Reflecting upon recording “You Saw Me Comin’” for Wildflowers, Heartbreaker Benmont Tenchnotes, “There’s this kind of longing in the song, in the way that he wrote the chord structure, the melody and the lyrics. It’s wistful, and it would have been the perfect way to end the disc.”

FINDING WILDFLOWERS (ALTERNATE VERSIONS)

A Higher Place
    Hard on Me
    Cabin Down Below
    Crawling Back to You
    Only a Broken Heart
    Drivin’ Down to Georgia
    You Wreck Me
    It’s Good to Be King
    House in the Woods
    Honey Bee
    Girl on LSD
    Cabin Down Below (Acoustic Version)
    Wildflowers
    Don’t Fade on Me
    Wake Up Time
    You Saw Me Comin’

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Britt in VA

:doh:

faceinthecrowd and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Well don't I feel like a sucker for buying the Super Deluxe box to get that "Exclusive" disc.

The family is putting Tom's logo and likeness on every possible product they can sell, now they are just laughing in the face of fans who were willing to throw an extra $100 in to get "exclusive" music. Nice.

Tom Petty / Finding Wildflowers (Alternate Versions) | superdeluxeedition

11. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Indeed.

12. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Yeah, though honestly I can’t say I’m too surprised about this, tbh. Also the comments in this forum of “why couldn’t Neil do with Vol. II what the Petty estate did with the Wildflowers reissue and tell us what all of the available versions would be upfront” sure don’t look so good now in hindsight.

ARK, faceinthecrowd and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  14. IHeartRecordsAz

Instant Dharma likes this.
  15. Britt in VA

Pretty sad, actually. I'm one of the people that bought the Ultra Deluxe 9LP. And while I don't regret that decision, it's not cool that the Uber exclusive Girl on LSD 45 and now the Finding Wildflowers have been issued independent of that set.

No doubt an independent release of the demos is next.

16. IHeartRecordsAz

I bought the 9 LP set, as well, but I’m not mad because the price difference between the 7 and 9 LP sets wasn’t that dramatic. But having said that, I’d definitely be more peeved if I paid the $100 difference for the 5 CD super deluxe edition.

17. Britt in VA

Like I said, at the end of the day, no regrets. That said, on principle, I think it's a pretty crappy thing to do to say "the only way you can ever get x is to buy y" and then turn around and sell x later, independent of y. It's basically a con in it's simplest form.

18. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

+1 I just posted this on the TP website forum:

"Well they are at it again. The 9 LP vinyl ($250) and 5 CD ($150) Super Deluxe Limited sets containing the "Exclusive" Finding Wildflowers (Alternate Versions) are no longer Exclusive.

You can now get the Finding Wildflowers (Alternate Versions) as a stand alone. LP is $30 and CD is $19. So now you can buy the 4CD set @$50 and the new Alternate CD for $19 and get the same music as the "Exclusive" 5CD for $70 total. Less than half the cost of the 5CD set. It's a $50 savings for vinyl. Not cool."

19. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Probably wouldn’t be hard to sell the 9xLP or 5xCD on Discogs, if the newly-reduced level of exclusivity has somehow diminished the ability to enjoy the music...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

so infuriating to say the least.....Tom Petty's estate only care about the money and don't care about screwing over the fans apparently....
    i should be refunded the difference of the 4 cd set and this single release for the Finding Wallflowers....you know since it was like a $100 difference
    just to get this cd, but now you can get it for $19.....this is total bullcrap!

21. nerd767

nerd767 Forum Resident

yeah weird move to make the exclusives, no longer exclusives, but at least his estate is doing something

IHeartRecordsAz and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Well, so much for "You Saw Me Comin'" being a deluxe-only, physical-only exclusive track they were so careful to keep away from streaming, etc. It's now officially on Spotify and YouTube, with a faux music video (just some landscape shots mainly — pretty but nothing band related) and everything.

:shrug:

Ah well, what are you going to do. I don't know if this info would've changed my purchasing decision last year or not anyway, but you have to feel a little ridiculous for paying the extra $100 for a bonus disc that's now going to be widely available much cheaper a few months later.

At least the music's good! :D

23. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

wow - once upon a time i was so excited about the finding wildflowers set.

then it was made available WAY outside my price range, and i was pretty disappointed.

then i heard the wildflowers remaster, and realized it didn't please my ears (nice DR, but no real bottom end).

now it looks like i can get finding wildflowers on cd for a reasonable price, and i'm sad to say that i'm not really that interested.

smitquest

24. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i just emailed the Tom Petty website's customer service about my order and this release of the "EXCLUSIVE" disc being released separately and how us fans that bought
    the box sets because of this "EXCLUSIVE" disc were royally screwed over and how upset a lot of us are.

Last time i buy a Tom Petty release now....i will not tolerate being lied to and their deceitful ways.

25. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Wow, glad I held out and didn’t get the 5CD set. I can see why people who did would be upset about this but I’m glad they are releasing it for cheaper.