New Tom Petty box set “An American Treasure” (September 18, 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Yeah but there are people in the world who don’t buy every record but want a a full career overview and more than just a hits collection.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. So the vinyl box set looks exactly like the design style as the Live Anthology. Beautiful.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Even the whiners get lucky sometimes

5. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

No 'Gator On The Lawn'? Seriously?

6. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I'm happy and going to buy this but when I read "This box set will include 4 cds of previously unreleased live, studio and demo recordings!", I understood that all the tracks will be previously unreleased.

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's also nice that there aren't too many "hits" on here. The album tracks that are highlighted are more obscure, especially to the casual fan.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, Lost in your eyes, I Don't Belong........I had heard about the alternate Damage and Apartment Song--wow!

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Any ideas what the petty website is counting down to? 14 hours to go.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

True. The only small quibble I can have now is a Tom vocal on Never Be You--but somebody 'with knowledge' years ago claimed Tom's vocal was wiped and not saved.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Probably the track listing and formats available.

12. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I think Playback is near perfect in that regard for anyone who wants to go a bit further than a single cd Greatest Hits collection without diving into Petty's complete and fairly large discography. Plus, it's pretty easy to find used for around $25.

13. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I love Petty....anything that is put out is a real treasure! Can't wait to buy this! I just wish he were here - I miss him. Are they ever going to put "Girl on LSD" on any new offerings? I like that song.

14. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I will be picking this up. It is an odd collection that is neither fish nor fowl. It isn't an unreleased set nor is it a straight compilation of previously released stuff.

I am not even sure how to classify it.

The only disappoint to me is they seemingly didn't fill the discs to the 80 min max with at least 3 tracks being introduction, stage banter and a radio spot.

Finch Platte and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

I'm no mathemagician, but I count 63 songs on the posted track listing, while the announcement only said 60, right?

EDIT: Oh, I guess they're not counting the two live stage announcements or the radio spot. That makes sense.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    theMess, Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  16. This box set. :tiphat:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I don't think there is any way I can't buy that 6xLP version. Not with how good the previous vinyl releases have been.

18. That’s a great set but it’s what ? 20 years old ? Not his entire career

theMess and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But isn't "The Apartment Song" demo with Stevie Nicks on this new box likely to be the same one that was previously released on Playback? It doesn't claim to be previously unreleased, so :shrug:

Actually reading over the Playback tracklist there's also an alternate version of 'The Damage You've Done' included on that and the one on this new box isn't listed as previously unreleased either...

So moral of the story is don't get too excited about what this new box *really* includes, since so far they're keeping the specifics of what is actually exclusive to it quite vague.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I am almost certainly in for this - most of what's on it will be new to me and most of the tracks I already have that they did include are deeper cuts so that's cool - and more live TP and outtakes is fine by me.

I do get the critique that they could've either fit this onto 3 discs or added more tracks.... of course, I would prefer they add more tracks - great live band like those guys, there's probably another lifetime of tracks to be released. But that's a small quibble.

And if it's anything like the other releases with TP, at least one of the versions will be very nice sounding.

And @MYKE that's super cool what your son did for you with the Playback set. Excellent.

Matthew Tate, Hep Alien and Myke like this.
  21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think timeline wise it stopped in 93 when he switched record labels.

Love that collection.

22. Myke

He bought me the avatar album too ! He really is a Blessing.

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

They probably aren't counting these three tracks:

Radio Promotion Spot (1977)
    Concert Intro (Live introduction by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)
    Clear The Aisles (Live concert announcement by Tom Petty, The Forum, Inglewood, CA—June 28, 1981)​

24. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The box that was announced today and available in September is doing what in 13 hours? :angel:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Myke

Getting an OFFICIAL American announcement.

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.