New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Hmm, I don't care too much either way on the release date for this — it's basically an extra couple of months we have to wait to hear the new song "For Real." But I hope this doesn't interfere with or push back any other 2019 planned releases. Still hoping for Wildflowers All the Rest sooner than later next year!

ARK and btltez like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A good song made better. Yeah, this is essential.

Lewisboogie and windfall like this.
  3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

It’s generally a bad release strategy to put out two multi-disc sets within a few months of each other by the same artist. Weird they would even consider that.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    bmh5879 and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Hate to pee on the campfire, but I disagree that this version of TBOE makes this box "essential". It contains just a single missing verse, and not a particularly compelling one at that. IMHO. The original 1985 version is a classic, and stands just fine on its own.
    Unlike AAT, I don't see any reason to own this collection.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Clear and black vinyl shipping 2-1-19 on TP website also.

6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

A lot of this has been discussed before in this thread, but once again for those concerned:

The Heartbreakers and Tom Petty's estate helped to compile the track listing for "The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the decisions for the track selections for this release was similar to the ones made for the "Anthology: Through The Years" collection in which the vast majority of hits were selected for the package with the remaining slots being filled by songs that were favorites of the band themselves.

As far as the overall placement of this collection on the schedule of releases? As previously explained, Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' music was spread over two different record labels. In order to facilitate music from their entire catalog being included on the "An American Treasure" box set, an agreement had to be struck between both labels. That said, it might be worth noting that the unreleased material selected for "The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" dates from recording sessions that I believe were contracted out to UM/e, the label that is releasing this particular collection of music.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Amazon UK just updated - CD release now slated for Feb 5th 2019.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

So, what happened?

9. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I agree. I'll probably buy the vinyl set, since most (although certainly not all) of my favorites are on it. And I think it would be cool to have the collection available to listen to in the best sounding format. But the CD set holds no interest for me. Most of my listening these days is either on vinyl or mp3. So, I'll just download the tracks I don't have, and be done with it.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Ok ...
    I just want to know why on all of the compiles of the best Tom Petty tracks "Nightwatchman" is always overlooked. Love Petty, have several of his albums and Playback, and Nightwatchman is my favourite Petty songs, and is never on any compiles ..... Did he hate the song? Did the record company hate the song .... Am I just having an out of body experience in my own little freak world?

Tim 2 and Who'sTommy like this.
  11. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

I can't find (or glazed over it without noticing) but who re-mastered it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

See post #236.
    @ryan de topanga

Joey Kaspick likes this.
  13. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I agree, that is such a great song. It was the lead-off track on the Live Anthology, which counts for something at least.

I would have loved to see that one live. The band did play it one time on their 2013 New York residency, but no recordings or footage of it ever surfaced. I've been waiting and hoping in vain for five years and counting!

14. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@ryan de topanga and I’d be willing to bet Chris Bellman, too.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Release date pushed back to February 2019.

Stupid thing WEA does on pre orders. EVERY week on Thursday they place a hold on the total for the pre order ($187.00 I ordered 2 copies) then they release the hold every Sunday. My advice if you pre order, put it on the CC you never use. I used my debit card (mistake) and it's rather annoying every week to see my available balance drop then go back up.

16. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Do we know who will be mastering this on vinyl? Is Chris Bellman involved again? That'd be nice...

Vinyl Addict and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered on amazon for $54! much better than the $79 msrp.

groovelocked and randy9700 like this.
  18. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Thanks! I did likewise. Nothing to lose pre-ordering from Amazon as the price may go down further...

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just caved in and pre-ordered this from Amazon...now at $51.28/vinyl...that is a crazy good price and with this being transfers of the original studio multi-track masters (has to be done by CB) and I have to have the unreleased songs. This should be one heck of a fun listen!!! Glad I came back to this thread and saw the other posts!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Are the unreleased songs from the Wildflowers era?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Just catching up on this upcoming release...and looking at what’s left off from your post, I’m shocked. A Woman In Love? Rebels? Change of Heart? Ridiculous.

22. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Amazon preorder price has dropped to $47.93. Just a heads up to those of you still on the fence!

Matthew Tate and scotti like this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Easy pass for me.
    I just got Let Me Up today, American Treasure last week, and dropped $150 for Kiss My Amps Volume One.
    Two songs ?
    I don't think so.

scotti likes this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

But "MYKE" this price is awesome and what a great party album on vinyl when friends are over and you just want to crank some cool sounding TP&THB vinyl for all to enjoy! I also have the titles you listed, and respect where you are coming from, just too much of a fan to pass this up...

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just told Ryan Ulyate the same thing. Plus that $150 doesn't come easy, I'm retired on a pension. So my duplication days are over.

scotti likes this.