New TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave B, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally broke down and ordered a VPI Aries Scout and Benz Micro Glider from Elusive Disc a few weeks ago. I'm still waiting for delivery (the Scout was backordered). I'm excited about getting a new 'table but a little concerned about setting it up properly and getting the cartridge burned in correctly. I was wondering if any of you have either of these units and/or any sugestions on optimizing them.
    Please, don't tell me I've wasted my money. On second thought, if you feel strongly about either of these let me know. I still can change my order. I actually value the opinions of the members of this forum.

2. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Dave, I'd love to hear about your new Scout. I'm curious, because it seems like a heckuva lot of analog bang for the buck.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a How To Set Up Your Turntable video? Does anybody know if such a thing exists? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You wasted your money!

Just kidding

I like the Benz family of cartridges. They are nice and warm and not to bright.

I have a suggestion. I use the Aurios 1.0 as isolation for my Forsell. It works wonders. I'll bet this would help the new Scout when it comes in substantially. Maybe under a maple wood block since the folks at VPI don't think acrylic under their tables is such a good thing.

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Congratulations Dave B - hope it is everything that you want it to be :) i have always liked the look of the VPI turntables - but once again they are another of those items that are about as common as unicorn droppings over here. Let us know how it shapes up when it arrives. I think I am going to invest in some Aurios on Scotts recommendation - now all I need is the Forsell for it to go under :)

All the best - Andrew

5. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Dave B,
    I think you'll be very happy with your new TT. I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago and purchased a used VPI HW 19 mk III. I had never setup a turntable, arm and aligned a cartridge in my life. But the VPI along with some helpful tools, was a snap to put together and get running. It took me probably about an hour but I went real slow unpacking and setting up. I think the VPI's had a good reputation for good sound and straight ahead no-nonsense installation.

I also understand the Benz cartridge is a winner. Let us know when you get it setup. I assume you have a Shure stylus gauge and some tonearm alignment tool. If not, I'm sure Elusive Disc or other retailers can suggest some inexpensive tools to make the setup quick, accurate and painless.

Good luck

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Dave B,

I'm sure there's a reason the Scout is back-ordered almost everywhere. I think Harry Weisfield has done a great job on the Scout, and I imagine you will be in for a treat. I think you are going to get a lot of the performance of the more expensive VPI 'tables for a lot less money.

You don't list your system, so please tell us your current LP spinner and what phono stage are you using?

Regards,
    Geoff

7. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

Geoff, I'm currently playing vinyl on a Technics SL1400 mkII that I bought new in 1977. Think it's time for upgrade? Me too. Actually, the turntable was boxed up and in storage from sometime in the late eighties until about a year ago when I started getting the itch to see what everyone on this forum and elsewhere was praising as the "superior sound" of vinyl. I bought a low priced (Audio Technica 440ML) cartridge and set the ol' turntable back up. I have to agree, I prefer the sound of LPs to CD's in general. There are the obvious surface noises and the occasional tracking problems but all and all the sound is much more warm and engrossing. I find myself turning up the volume a notch or two more over the course of a side to bring out the little extras on the disc whereas with a CD I often turn down the volume due to listening fatigue.
    As for a phono stage, I am currently running the rig straight through the phono section of my Denon receiver. I hope to get a separate phono pre-amp at some point. My ultimate dream is to buy a Manley Stingray integrated amp and set up a pure analog system for vinyl listening but that may be some ways off.

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

As Roy Orbison sang "Go, go, go!!!" Dream about that rig and get there someday - I now have a tube Dynaco system with a pair of 40 watt MK IV's and a PAS 3X preamp; I'd been thinking about tubes for a few years (our fearless leader's gentle words of encouragement helped tremendously). The dreaming and wondering make it worthwhile as each piece of the puzzle falls into place. When I hook up the tubes, the bass notes ride along in a relaxed way, not with the start/stop cycle I notice if the transistor equipment is used. I've even gotten some vinyl out - it's an interesting change, and the ticks and pops still drive me crazy (one plus for the digital drink coasters) - the analog sounds neat, but the trades between music and vinyl nasties rank up there with digital's quirks.) I'll start dreaming about a good record cleaning machine and a new turntable/cartridge. I'm hoping that those Creedence SACD's will even things out sonically versus the vinyl experience so I can rebuild the old rathole fund - that record scrubber and TT ain't cheap...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.