New Turntable In the House: Thorens TD-309

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dividebytube, Dec 3, 2019.

1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Not a detailed review since I just got the Thorens 309 with Ortofon 2M Bronze cart in yesterday and have only spun a dozen records so far. It's an upgrade to my old workhorse, a Dual CS-5000 which was starting to get outclassed by the rest of the gear.

Initial impressions: bass response is tremendous with shades, timbre, and a serious foundation (well - as serious as a pair of 5" woofers can produce!) versus the old unit. I'm reminded - at least bass-wise - of my old VPI Aries 1 table. Of course that was in a waaay different system so grain of salt and all that.

The Thorens has a lot more detail overall, with better soundstaging depth and width. It bests the Dual/Shibata tipped OM20 cartridge in that department, making the old turntable sound like a lower end cassette player (or as my wife said, AM radio). So much quieter in the background with less rumble and analog "dirt".

Overall effect is a more engrossing musical experience. The Aleph J amp and Classe Five preamp are now shining and sounding better than I expected.

More later - it's always easy to gush with a new piece of gear!

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Congrats! Nice! Do they come with a dust cover or do you have to order one?

3. dividebytube

New - doesn't come with a dust cover, that's a separate item. Mine was bought used and thankfully came with one. It's just a plexi-bit that slots over the spindle, covering up the plinth and tonearm.

Slippers-on likes this.
  4. dividebytube

Another pic: DC motor belt drives an aluminum subplatter which has a thin ridge on top. The glass platter sits on top of that ridge. Additional fet mat on top of the platter.

[​IMG]

5. Jay Kepps

Jay Kepps Active Member

Wow. Truly beautiful. A work of art.

SandAndGlass likes this.