New Turntable Suggestions - Vinyl Beginner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TDLP, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDLP

TDLP Active Member Thread Starter

I’m relatively new to collecting vinyl. I currently have an Audio-Technia LP120-USB that I’ve been using for about two years, and I would like to upgrade it. I find the sound has a veil over it.

I upgraded my old speaker set up recently to try to help with the problem, and it improved the sound, but I still think it could be better. I’m now using a Sony STR-DH190 receiver that has a phono input and two Sony SS-CSR bookshelf speakers.

I’ve read about removing the built-in preamp, but I’m not really electronically savvy that way... plus, I think the attached USB cables have some kind of short in them. Sometimes, sound doesn’t play from the left speaker, and if I switch the red and white cables, it doesn’t play out of the right speaker instead. Then it will turn on and work for a while, but it’s giving me problems. Anyway, I think at this point, I would just like a new turntable.

I’ve been looking at Pro-Ject Debut Carbons, Rega Planar 1s, Orbit U-Turns, and Fluance RT85s.

I have gotten into this Internet rabbit hole of reading reviews and opinions, and I think I’m more confused now that ever.

Do you have any suggestions of something that would work well with my setup? I don’t see myself becoming a super audiophile, but I would like something that sounds nice for now that I could possibly upgrade components later. I’m open to suggestions, and I’d like to spend around $500, but I’m willing to spend more if something is going to be way better sounding.

Thanks!!

2. TDLP

Ok interesting update... I got home and played some music, and now I'm thinking it may be the left channel phono line in the receiver instead of the RCA cable in the back of the turntable that's causing the sound not to come out of the left speaker. The "bad RCA cable" didn't play through the left speaker, but it played through the right when I switched the input. Since I can't really isolate the problem, I'm going to return the receiver since it's still in the return window.

Should I get the same receiver, or is there another one you would suggest for the Sony SS-CS5 speakers? I will probably still get a new turntable, so any receiver that will work with an upgraded turntable will work. I'm not opposed to purchasing a separate pre-amp, so the receiver doesn't have to have a phono input.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Id take this as an opertunity to get a stand alone pre amp and a new amp. The Schiit Mani should be a very good point to try from.

As for tables, any of the mentioned will do you great Im sure. Getting away from the built in pre amp will do good either way, it does veil the sound somewhat.
    Remember that the cart is also important, I would say even more so. So remember that when balancing the budget and keep askin questions.

Welcome to the forum ;^)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Oh and if I had to make a personal recommendation it would be the RP1.
    Reason being, its the older Rega model, but not too old, so buying used which might be scary should not entail too much risk. And you still get the big discount benefits.
    Also, the RP1 has adjustable anti skate unlike the new model so if you do change carts you will be able to better install it on that one.

The Carbon is nice but I dont quite think the cart it comes with is price worthy. And if buying used there you might run into the older models hum problems.

myles and CCrider92 like this.
  5. TDLP

Thanks for the suggestions! So if I get a Schiit Mani, I will still need an amp or receiver to hook the speakers to, correct? Does the pre-amp make more of a difference in sound quality than the amp? Or are they equally important? If I get the same Sony receiver and plug the Schiit Mani into the aux input instead of the phono input, would that work? Or should I be looking for another kind of amp?

6. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Try removing the AT-LP120's built-in pre-amp. It does make a noticeable improvement in sound quality:

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A channel shouldn't be dying on you that early in the ownership phase. Try a different brand/model is what I would do. What is your budget for a new receiver or integrated amp?

8. TDLP

I’m still not 100% sure if it’s the receiver that has a bad channel, or if my turntable has a bad wire... but I figure I might as well return the receiver since I still can if I’m not sure.

I haven’t really thought much on budget for a new receiver... The Sony was $149, but I could spend more than that since I know that’s on the lower end of things. I’d say around $300 for both the pre-amp and amp to connect my speakers to, whether those are separate components or I get another combo receiver.

I want something that would be able to capture the better sound of an upgraded turntable/cartridge without totally breaking the bank.

9. TDLP

Do you think this is a better option than a new turntable? I’m kind of nervous about messing with all the electronics and breaking it...but I guess if it’s the wire that’s causing me problems, it’s already on its way to the electronic graveyard. Lol

10. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

If you prefer to keep it unmodified, then just use the built-in pre-amp -- I think it actually sounds fine. The problem is when you turn off the built-in pre-amp and use an external one, or a receiver with a phono input -- that's when you'll notice the degraded audio quality, because it is unable to totally bypass the built-in pre-amp's circuitry and ends up negatively affecting the sound of an external one.

So in your case it might actually sound better with the turntable's built-in pre-amp turned on and connected to one of your receiver's line-level inputs (aux, CD, video, etc.). And note that this applies to many turntables with a built-in pre-amp, not just the AT-LP120.

Also, your problem with intermittent channel dropouts might simply be due to dirty contacts on the pins that connect the headshell to the tonearm. So try removing the headshell, cleaning the four pins on it with isopropyl alcohol, and reattaching it firmly. Again, a common problem on many turntables, not just the LP120.

misterjones, Aftermath and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Leonthepro

You need an amp yes. And I think most agree that pre amps matter more. You could use the old Sony for now I suppose.

12. TDLP

I tested this when I first got the receiver, and it sounds pretty much the same to me whether I’m bypassing the preamp in the turntable or using it. I might get a different brand of receiver and keep using the internal preamp unless I decide to remove it.

Also, I’ll try cleaning the headshell connections and see if that helps. Thanks!

13. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

I have taken these suggestions to heart from previous threads, am looking to buy a Schiit pre-amp, and have purchased a used Adcom 535 amp from Ebay that sounds fantastic.
    Moving my TT to this rather than to the Onkyo 676 HT receiver...
    The receiver does home theatre well, but I'm thinking that the phono pre-amp was an afterthought....

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

What part of Louisiana are you in? I'd take my $500 and start looking at the Craig's list that is closet to you. I think you should be able to work with the AT120 as a starter table for what you are looking to accomplish. Getting out of the internal phono is a good idea but I'd be more motivated to get out of the Sony business. The improvement from the 120 to the other turntables you list isn't a big as getting a decent used amp. The speakers you are driving and the size of the space you are working in makes a difference in what the best choice might be. I would also thing the internal phono on the Sony is a bad idea.

Lucca90 and Rolltide like this.
  15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

The AT-LP 120 is more than good enough for enthusiasts.

Before upgrading the table it self I would upgrade the cartridge and remove the built in phono-stage

Keep in mind

About 90% of a turntables sound is in its cartridge

But if you MUST upgrade. Look for mid 70s/early 80s technics/Sony tables. They can be had for between 200-300$ and will outperform most 400-600$ new tables

audiolistener likes this.
  16. TDLP

This is lots of great info!

I'm in Baton Rouge. Say I remove the internal phono stage on the LP120 and return my Sony receiver (and I can also still return the Sony speakers I got as well)...do you have suggestions for speakers, an amp/receiver, a phono preamp, and new cartridge that will work well with the LP120? Even just certain brands I should stick with or avoid would be super helpful. I could take my turntable budget plus what I would be getting back for returning my speakers and receiver, so about $700-$800 total (or less if there's complementary components that would add up to less than that). Should I get an upgraded Audio-Technia cartridge, or go with a different brand?

There's a hi-fi audio store I found in New Orleans that I was thinking about checking out to see what kind of speakers and amps/receivers they have, so I also might do that this weekend. I just don't know if everything they have will be super high end and completely out of my price range and needs. I'm listening in my living room in my apartment right now. It's pretty small, and I can't really put the music too loud because of the neighbors. Plus, I mostly listen to 70s singer songwriter kind of stuff, so I'm not trying to throw a rock concert in my living room.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Vintage home audio equipment FOR SALE.

Buyer beware, the thing you will not get is a guarantee of reliability. It's a gamble but this guy looks a one stop shop for a good vintage system. These polks's would be nice if he isn't asking too much.

[​IMG]

Any Marantz, Pioneer or Sansui receiver that is 60wpc or more will set you up nicely and should be about $300 to $500. There also also some Kenwoods, Technics, Rotel and Mitsubishi that can do good work and should cost less but steer clear of anything that is 30 WPC or less. IF you hear things like "recently Recapped or restored" that's a good thing. Looks like he has a stack of tables that would better than the 120 as well. It is CL, could be a crazy guy, who knows but he certainly looks like an old guy that has been in the hobby a long time and needs to move some stuff.

$700 at a new shop will get you a nice Cambridge or Yamaha amp and both would have a nice phonostage. Always a good idea to go to a shop and listen to the inventory but money doesn't go very far.

Bingo Bongo, nosliw and Rolltide like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

19. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I would look into 70s-80s receivers. Most were really good when they came out and can be had for 50-200$ and if in good shape will destroy any new receiver in that price range. Most had great phono stages too so one less thing to buy!

Speakers are really up to you. But I am particularly fond of my pair of Elac Debut B6’s

Aftermath and TDLP like this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If you can get a Nakamichi receiver, they are generally excellent sounding.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. TDLP

Thanks so much for going shopping for me! I'll take a look at these online, and I think one of the record stores in town sometimes sells vintage equipment. I'll go out there and see if they have any of the brands some of you suggested. It kind of makes me nervous to buy used/vintage stuff, but I'm definitely considering it if the sound quality will be way better for the price than new stuff.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I recently bought a few idler wheel Dual turntables and I love them. Fixmydual.com is supposed to be a great place to buy older duals.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You are not wrong to be nervous, buying 30 year old electronics is exactly as sketchy as it sounds but it’s your best option at the $500 price point by a lot. One thing I will add is that used speakers are the absolute best way to go. That technology is very durable and there isn’t much that can go wrong with them. If they sound good, they are good and will be for a very long time. new speakers lose half their value as soon as you take them out of the box.

one good thing about buying vintage is you can always get your money back, it’s not going to lose value.

nosliw and TDLP like this.
  24. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Also had a LP120. Moved up to the Fluance 85 and I'm quite pleased with results.

nosliw, TDLP and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I'll admit that I haven't read the whole thread, but you mention that your receiver has phono inputs. You're not using those, are you?

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.