New U2 DVD on it's Way

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobo U2, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

Word is that on Nov 18th Island/Universal will release "U2, Live from Slane" The complete 2nd show from Sept 1, 2001. No details as far as widescreen or audio but here is the set list

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Out Of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wake Up Dead Man, Stuck In A Moment, Kite, Angel Of Harlem (full band), Desire, Staring At The Sun, All I Want is You, Where The Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, With Or Without You, One, Walk On

I hope a 5:1 mix is in order.........

p.s Universal/Island.....let's get out Red Rocks, Zoo TV and POPmart on DVD

2. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Isn't that pretty much the same setlist as on the "Live from Boston" dvd?

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah not very interesting. They filmed it for TV broadcast so they probably figured what the heck they might as well release since it was already in the can.

Their back catalogue of home videos to be released on DVD have been delayed forever. I'm ready to snap those up when they come out. I'll pass on this new one.

4. Bobo U2

There are seven songs that are not included on the Boston DVD. And from all reports this show was one of the top 5 of the tour, so it isn't that bad, but I do agree that some of the video back catalog should have been moved to the fore-front.

5. Matt

Matt New Member

Is Slane considered to be the better show? I'd totally go for it.

From what I've heard, the ATYCLB tour (with the heart-shaped stage) is one of their best in terms of performance, perhaps just behind the Zoo TV Tour and the famous Red Rocks concert.

6. Bobo U2

Bumping this with some good news.......:D

Press Release Source: Interscope

U2 Go Home: DVD Live From Slane Castle, Ireland
    Tuesday September 16, 8:53 pm ET

NEW YORK, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Filmed on the 1st September 2001, U2 Go Home is the first ever release to feature U2 playing to a home crowd in Ireland. Following an 80 date sell-out world tour, U2 headed home for two extraordinary outdoor shows at Slane Castle in Ireland, where the band played to a total of over 160,000 people. This homecoming concert will be released on DVD by Interscope Records on November 18th 2003.
    (Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030916/NYTU200-a http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030916/NYTU200-b http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030916/NYTU200-c )
    U2 Go Home charts an emotional return for the band. In 1984 Slane Castle was the venue for the recording of their landmark fourth album, an event which was captured in The Unforgettable Fire documentary also available on this DVD re-mastered and re-graded for the first time. The Elevation shows also marked the 20th anniversary of the band's first appearance at Slane supporting another legendary Irish rock band Thin Lizzy at the inaugural Slane Castle Festival.

The DVD includes a bonus track, DVD ROM and special features that include: a U2 calendar, screensavers and weblinks plus three songs shot on 'Spincam' allowing the viewer an interactive, 360 degree view of the concert. U2 Go Home is presented in PCM Stereo, DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound Aspect ratio 16:9.

Tracklisting:
    - Performance from Slane, 1st September
    1. Elevation
    2. Beautiful Day
    3. Until The End Of The World
    4. New Year's Day
    5. Out Of Control
    6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    7. Wake Up Dead Man
    8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    9. Kite
    10. Angel Of Harlem
    11. Desire
    12. Staring At The Sun
    13. All I Want Is You
    14. Where The Streets Have No Name
    15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    16. Bullet The Blue Sky
    17. With Or Without You
    18. One
    19. Walk On
    - The Unforgettable Fire documentary

:D

7. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

It's disappointing that we're getting another Elevation Tour DVD before all the old stuff, but this will be worth it for "Out of Control" alone.

Looks like the plan is to chop up The Unforgettable Fire Collection by putting the documentary here, and, I assume, the videos from that release on an eventual Best Of 80-90 DVD (let's hope).

8. japes

japes Senior Member

Picked up the DVD today at Best Buy and to say that I'm a little disappointed would be an understatement. Being that U2 is my favorite band ever you can imagine how I must have been looking forward to this release. Let me start by saying that this is a GREAT performance, one of the best that I have seen on DVD/video and in person. However, this is possibly one of the worst sounding surround mixes I have EVER heard.

For one thing, the rears are almost useless. Bono's voice is mixed WAY upfront and the Edge's guitar is almost completely burried in the sonic mud that comprises the drums and bass. When I popped in the DVD I could hardly believe my ears. I am seriously pondering if this disc is defective. Where in the hell is the guitar!? In addition to this, there has been a haphazard attempt to muffle some of the crowd noise and in doing this there are some serious drop outs in the sound (especially "Until the End of the World" and "New Year's Day"). I tried to listen through DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM stereo and each are really subpar. The guitar seems a little better in stereo but there you have a lack of bass. I taped the portions of the show when it was broadcast on CBS last Thanksgiving I have come to the conclusion that my SLP TV dub sounds better than some of these mixes. If it weren't a stellar performance I could almost dismiss it entirely but I think this fact makes it all the more frustrating.

You'd think if they screwed up the sound that they might have gotten the picture right....WRONG. I knew from the grainy, VHS quality, opening that it was going to suck. Artifacts and edge enhancements galore. This is 2003 and we are 6+ years into DVD technology, but why do I get the impression that I'm watching one of those test discs from 1997. Oh BTW, for those of you who own the Unforgettable Fire collection on VHS, keep it, there is no improvement in the quality of the documentary here.

I know I may sound a little harsh, but I'm not friggin' kidding about this DVD. I was really impressed with the quality of the Live In Boston DVD that came out last year so I'm totally mystified as to what happened.

Enough of my rant. I guess I'll just look forward to seeing them live next year.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My reactions to the DVD are very different than Japes'. I thought the audio was terrific and the video MUCH improved from the ugly "Elevation". If forced to choose between the pair, I'd definitely pick "Slane" over "Elevation".

I thought the surround mixes were involving and appropriately active but not overwhelming. Plenty of guitar to be heard on my disc, and tight, warm bass as well. The picture could be erratic, but it mostly looked good - definitely better than VHS!

Anyway, here's my full review...

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

how many friggin concert dvd's do these guys put out??????

11. japes

japes Senior Member

Based on Oatsdad's review and others I've found elsewhere, I'm starting to wonder if my disc is indeed defective. The guitar is almost completely buried in the mix with no distinctiveness whatsoever. About the only things coming out clearly is the drums and Bono's vocal which seem almost disconnected from the rest of the mix. I think I'm going to try it out on a friend's system to see what happens. Is this kind of defect possible on one or maybe a few discs? I myself find it hard to believe. I could use some help here.

12. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Bought this on Amazon for $13.99. Can't really complain about that price. Worth it just for the great Unforgettable Fire doc. Nice bonus! Hopefully it will arrive in the next day or 2...great show.

13. Oatsdad

I've never heard of that sort of defect for specific disc. If one's bad the way you describe, ALL of them should be bad.

Are you sure your system's set up correctly? It really sounds like something's up there...

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I don't know but it would be nice to see "Live From Red Rocks" or "Zoo TV Live From Sydney" out on DVD rather than another live video from the Elevation tour.

15. japes

japes Senior Member

I've tried other concert DVDs and there is no problem. I think I'm going to take it back to Best Buy and exchange it for another one. Hopefully the next one will sound more like the DVD that everyone else is describing.

Upon further listening I've noticed that the guitar is cranked more during a solo (unless Bono is singing). Other times it seems like the channel is missing, kind of like a speaker not being connected and the other speakers trying to compensate for it. This is the most obvious at the beginning of "Angel of Harlem" where the guitar is muffled in the background and Bono's voice is coming through clear as day through the center speaker. I've also noticed that during "Walk On" the drums are very distinct in the beginning but suddenly disappear into the mix halfway through the song.
    I could go on and on with examples.

I've taken back discs that freeze or pixilate on me in the past. Maybe this is a new glitch that I've never encountered before.

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Here's a quick question: the DVD is available in two packages - a regular sized DVD case and a CD jewel case sized package. This is similar to the new Coldplay live CD/DVD packaging option. I looked at both of the U2 packages and the content looks the same (assuming though that the booklet is bigger print and pictures in the larger DVD case). I bought the jewel case DVD for $15.99 CDN, while the regulation size DVD was $25.99 CDN. So, does anyone know if there's a difference?? (before I open the package)

Cliff

18. japes

japes Senior Member

At this time I would like to revise my original take on the DVD since I have recently come to the realization that my system was out of adjustment. After a little tweaking with the center channel and a few other options, the sound is now a little more to my liking. This is no "Led Zeppelin," but I'm really starting to dig the DTS mix. I apologize if I discouraged anyone from purchasing the disc because of my initial rantings. I should have double-checked these things before I posted.

I'm still a little disappointed with the picture quality, but it is now my understanding that most of the budget to document this tour had already been spent on the Live in Boston DVD. U2 had no original intention of releasing this concert on DVD but because it was so good they decided to anyway, warts and all. Boston may have been better recorded and produced than Slane, but the performance blows it out of the water. From "Elevation" to "Walk On," they nailed every song.

19. Oatsdad

Glad you got it working better...

I disagree, at least for the picture quality. I thought "Elevation" looked TERRIBLE, whereas "Slane" - though erratic - was generally clearer and tighter...

20. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Just got the DVD & it's great so far. What a high energy show! The band & the crowd are really feeding off each other.

I did have one question. In the Unforgettable Fire doc, does anybody else's copy have an occasional digital line pop up periodically? I just found it a little strange because the rest of the DVD seems fine. Beyond that it is a great show and the music sounds fantastic.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.