New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crosscatch

crosscatch Forum Resident

1/100? That's a pretty high ratio in my estimation. I've had three different Classics that were bad for one reason or another. One I hadn't opened for six months after I bought it and when I complained I got a surprising amount of flak for a manufacturer defect. This happened to be the third incident. So, I'm hoping for the best of everything here. Should arrive tomorrow. I'll be up late
    I have.
    I didn't wash my stereo copy and it was largely dead quiet. I don't think cleaning would've improved it and possible would've made it more noisy.

2. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

1/100 would be 50 defective copies out of 5000. That’s actually pretty decent IMO...

3. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

There was nothing petty going on about the high defect rate with Classic Records back then and people voicing their thoughts about it. How was anyone being sort-sided or selfish? Yes, their releases were top notch but sadly they reached a point where they were having serious technical issues tied to their very specific 200g requirements which produced many dished/noisy pressings. People hurt Classic Records? They went out of business for other reasons. No one was stopping you from buying their records.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

You mean record buyers actually moan about minor issues, that can't correct ;-)

I know, there is one listed on my web pages [BoG] and it knocks all the other copies [not just Classic Records] out the park.

Did you not read the other posts? I clearly stated that if any existed they would do as TP's etc. Did you not cotton onto my teasing the information out? Yes, bit like getting blood out of a stone but we got there in the end, all's good.:wave:

7. Gordon Johnson

I'm sure it was quiet without a wash but that's not the whole story.

It will protect and add a longer life to the stylus and will help look after your records long term as you are playing records on a cleaner stylus.

The manufacture of records is a dirty process after all.

But how would washing a record make it noisier?

bluejimbop likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is a surprising post. I bought every single pop/rock Classic Records pressing I could get my hands on, and to say the griping was “petty” is generalizing from a very limited experience. According to Discogs, I have 73 Classic Records titles including the Zeppelin 45 rpm box and a number of multi-disc sets. The early 200g 45-rpm discs I bought were about half “dished”. Many of the 200g 33 rpm disks were also dishes. I kept them all (tough to return fron japan) and have since fixed them all with a Vinyl Flat, so they are all fine now. I sometimes wonder if Classic would still be in business today if they could have flattened their records before singing them out.

I also have a handful that are noisy, including a number on “Clarity” vinyl, but I can live with a little noise.

But, I still have quite a few that aren’t fine or fixable. A Suzanne Vega title that is gorgeous except for a spot on Side 2 that no tone arm could navigate without skipping. A Dylan 64 box, with records that look like they were placed on the floor and danced on. Two copies of Who’s Next 200g, with literally dozens of tiny sandpaper-like scuffs on both sides (Finally gave up and bought a used 180g on this Forum, but still have the 200gs). And, no less the three copies of the Who’s A Quick One in stereo - and on all of them the center spindle hole melted to be about twice as large as it should be, making the album impossible to play unless you take the time to center each album on the turntable and clamping it down before playing. I did finally buy a mono and that was fine.

Their problems were in many cases pressing-specific. So depending on what title you purchased, you were likely to get a nice pressing. The Led Zeppelin 200g pressings were quite consistent - I bought the entire set and extra copies of Physical Graffiti, TSARTS and ITTOD, and all have been fine (some still sealed). So it depended, but I wouldn’t be so quick to ridicule those that complained back then.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Copy 730 made it to Tokyo unscathed for $43 shipping.

rxcory, warpig, jhm and 2 others like this.
  10. murch

murch Forum Resident

Ordered my UHQR stereo on May 8, arrived yesterday on May 15, not too shabby! #1364. Will open it on the weekend :)

11. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

You ordered May 8th this year or last?. If this year I ordered before then and paid via PayPal ain’t heard anything at all although the money went out to their PayPal account, mine says “on hold” contacted the company via email and was told no stock as yet and that was last week?.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  12. murch

murch Forum Resident

This year. Last week.

13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

What the HELL is THIS????
    beave

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

I ordered April this year and nada.....

15. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Wow. Good for you, terrible for others.

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

Mono landed, #377.

Just checked how off centre and how warped it was :)

Perfect on both counts thank you very much AS.

Tremaindous and jhm like this.
  17. murch

murch Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not sure what their process is. I do live in Canada so maybe they prioritize international orders?

18. Gordon Johnson

Mono landed, #377.

Just checked how off centre and how warped it was :)

Perfect on both counts thank you very much AS.

19. Gordon Johnson

Nope!

I ordered a stereo last week and it is On Hold. Lovely lady replied to my mail enquiry and was told the same, No Stock!

Gives me plenty of time to sit and enjoy the mono and get a review done soon after.

20. Gordon Johnson

Given that I see a copy of the mono on offer in the UK at £599.99, buy now and one in the US at £1165.95 [$1500.00], buy now, maybe I should simply flip this and bin the review!

You think I'd do that, to quote Jimi?

dvcarrick likes this.
  21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I would...

ssmith3046 likes this.
  22. crosscatch

crosscatch Forum Resident

Are we speaking of the MONO? I have the opposite impression. Almost to the person, the 2010 Classic is preferred. I've read where some say it is close and others clearly prefer the 2010. I stopped feeling sad about missing out on the UHQR Mono. I have the 200gram and found it excellent, even made a digital transfer.

23. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

It was in reference to the STEREO

24. murch

murch Forum Resident

Oh no, what about the poor flippers hoping to 10x their money on the UHQR mono! Won't somebody think of the flippers ;)

25. Gordon Johnson

As much as the I know the quick turn over would make, I don't buy records for this intention. Maybe when I get fed up of getting out my chair every 20 mins [or 10 min with the 45rpm's] in a few years I'll cash my vinyl lot in. But for now, I'm intending on enjoying what I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.