New/used CD stores in Sacramento?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by RandySchimka, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll be up there on a business trip for a couple of days soon and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for any new/used CD stores that I should visit? Thanks very much, Randy

2. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

First, I'm sorry to hear that you have to come to Sacramento :laugh: Second, this post contains specific store information, and I just want to caveat that this is not intended to be an endorsement nor advertisement for a company's product or services. I'm am simply trying to help a fellow music lover.

Probably the best CD store in Sacramento that caters to new and used music would be the Beat. Aside from CDs they also have a selection of used vinyl. Rumor has it, that they are actually owned by Tower records and that the store is used as a test market to predict what's hip and happening. They are also open later than most CD stores in Sacramento. Their information is as follows:

The Beat
    1700 J St
    Sacramento, CA
    (916) 446-4402

Another rather large store with a decent new and used selection would be:

Dimple Records
    2433 Arden Way
    Sacramento, CA
    (916) 925-2600

They cater more or less to rock/pop... If blues, country or classical music is your scene, this store is not for you.

If you are a metal fan, then Dynasty Music is worth checking out. It is a small little shop far from downtown, but they have some cool stuff there. If you are looking for the latest WASP or Doro Pesch or used copies of Shotgun Messiah's CD, this is your nirvana :D

The original Tower Records is also located in Sacramento. I'm sure that you are familiar with them. It's a cramped store, but almost worth a visit from a historical perspective.

Tower Records
    1618 Broadway
    Sacramento, CA
    (916) 448-8872

The best Tower in Sacramento is a little ways away from downtown Sacramento. They have the best overall selection in town - especially classical.

Tower Records
    2514 Watt Ave
    Sacramento, CA
    (916) 482-9191

For completeness, Sacramento also has the absolute worst Virgin Megastore in the world. This store is two stories, yet they recently moved all their inventory to the first level. If I recall, they don't carry import discs anymore. This store (pardon my language), sucks butt.

Virgin Megastore
    1715 Arden Way
    Sacramento, CA
    (916) 564-0414

I hope this helps! If you let me know the general area that you are staying in Sacramento, perhaps I can offer you a little more assistance! I can even make food recommendations! LOL

3. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the good information. It's always nice to know what the "locals" think of the different outlets...I did some web searching this evening and found some good summary information, so I think I'm set to do some shopping in the evenings when I break free....

I'll be staying in Folsom at the Lake Natoma Inn on Wed. and Thurs. evening, leaving mid-day Friday...

Thanks again!

Randy

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I think I've been to "The Beat" a few times when visiting Sacramento. IIRC, they had a lot of vinyl. I purchased some used laserdiscs, myself. I haven't been to Sacramento in about 4-5 years, though. IIRC, along Broadway, they had separate physical buildings for Tower Records music, books, and videos as well as a movie theater. It's been a while and my memory may be shaky, though.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.