NEW vinyl do most people Wet Clean or Dry Clean them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IR66, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Many thanks! I shall try this

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ve got a Nitty Gritty machine. Before that I did it by hand with the excellent Disc Doctor brushes and cleaners, and still use them to supplement the RCM for seriously trashed LPs.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Wet Vacuum Clean

Mine is a "Nitty Gritty" brand manual machine

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This is exactly what I do as well (except that my machine is a Nitty Gritty)! :righton:

fmuakkassa likes this.
  5. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What do you think of the bath type RCM similar to the spin clean but automated like the ultra sonic?

6. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

On all records that are reasonably clean and don’t need the Spin Clean, I do a few spins with the carbon fiber brush. Then I spritz the brush very lightly with a spray bottle of water, push the brush guard past to work the water into the bristles, and do another pass or two. Most records are then immaculate.

7. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I own a Loricraft too.

You are right, no problems with static.

Pricey, but built like a tank and gives excellent results.

fmuakkassa likes this.
  8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

If a new LP doesn't sound new, i'd return it not clean it. Not that cleaning it will make much difference....

9. IR66

Does this method you use make them static free? On old album inner sleeves they had instructions on how to clean it ,they used to say use a barely damp cloth to wipe the record,of course these days it would be distilled water used.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just play new records, don’t clean them.

11. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

always wet clean all new-to-me vinyl

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

Ya, I should have said simply wet clean to be more clear. I built my own vacuum-based cleaning machine, which obviously dries my records after I've given them the wet clean. It's become the most important part of my enjoyment of vinyl. I love it because it's quick and really effective. It saved albums that I thought were destined for the landfill.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

All LPs get a Spin Clean before first play, not cleaned again unless it looks like it needs it. Most inner sleeves replaced with new poly sleeve.

bluejimbop likes this.
  14. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I think it pretty much does make them static-free. “Barely damp” would describe what I do. The water gets rid of the line of dirt left by the brush.

15. IR66

I'm glad you have a cleaning method that costs nothing,the manufacturers of cleaning products are making a lot of money on the resurgence of vinyl records,and people are spending too much money on it.

Bill Larson likes this.
  16. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Why would cheaper price bother you ?You said you already have a ON RCM and they are much better than the spin clean.:help:

17. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Companies have been making quality RCMs since the late 60s early 70s.
    You just have a few more options today.
    It's nothing to do with the vinyl resurgence.

F1nut likes this.
  18. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I wet clean all new LPs.

I used to use a Keith Monks Classic Discovery One which gave great results. I now use an Audio Desk ultrasonic RCM which has been a revelation and one of my best Hi-Fi purchases.

Richard

19. IR66

I'm in the process of selling the OKKI NOKKI,I don't like it, I buy New records and most play well with a few zaps with a zerostat gun followed by a dust with a carbon fiber brush and a stylus cleaner.I am thinking of an ultra sonic type cleaner next or I would use a Loricraft or a simple spin clean for used Vinyl.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  20. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

But you already have an Okki Nokki that’s a far more effective record cleaner than the Spin Clean or Knosti. Why do you want take a step backwards now when you already have a very well functioning solution? DIY is sometimes a nice solution but in this specific case you’re beyond that point since you already have a semi automatic vac RCM.

F1nut likes this.
  21. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Why don’t you like your Okki Nokki? If the main problem is static build up then you maybe have to take a closer look at your record cleaning flow chart- IMHO I believe you’ll find the answers there. I’ve had my Okki Nokki for more than 7 years and I’ve during this time improved the cleaning procedure considerably. In the beginning I sometimes had problems with static build up during the cleaning but I then experimented a bit with the number of revolutions during the vacuum process until I found the ideal number of revolutions. Since then I’ve rarely had any problems with this and if I sometimes get problems it’s because of me and not the machine. IMHO the Okki Nokki (and similar RCM’s like VPI 16.5 and Pro-Ject VC-S) is an effective machine that really gets the job done with excellent results.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    F1nut likes this.
  22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Wood glue for me if I am not happy with the sound. Otherwise just play.

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

However, I only use distilled water to clean records. No tap water or harsh chemicals.

24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I always bring my new clothes and new vinyl to the dry cleaner.

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I only wet clean when new vinyl requires it. Mainly for static control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.