New Wharfedale Dovedale 90th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AC1, May 20, 2022.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Time to say goodbye to the Lintons?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clonesteak, HiFi Guy, Nielsoe and 5 others like this.
  2. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Woah!! What are these?! Links??

McLover and arcamsono like this.
  3. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I wonder how the sound signature compares to the Lintons (and the Dentons, for that matter)?

4. AC1

Not sure if there is any more info right now. It's a surprise announcement on Wharfedale's social media channels. Coming soon!

Login • Instagram

Toneh likes this.
  5. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Thanks, now we wait till Thursday!

Leo Tos likes this.
  6. AC1

Material wise, everything looks very identical to the Lintons, except it looks like a larger cabinet and the positioning of the drivers is more extreme. It would surprise me if the sounds much different than the Lintons.

There's one thing I know for certain, I don't think I would love to say "My Dovedales". Linton is a much cooler name. ;)

7. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

DOVEDALE – WHARFEDALE

Besides the larger cabinet and drivers, what really sticks out to me is...
    Manufactured by highly trained. vastly experienced Loudspeaker experts at the headquarters of Wharfedale, in Huntingdon. Cambridgeshire – Dovedale is built in the home of British Hi-Fi.

So this will not be another Chinese manufactured speaker? I wonder what they will cost. Will we see Harbeth or Tannoy level pricing?

8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

If made in the UK they will probably be about double the price of the Lintons

9. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Call me cynical, but after years of occupying the value end of the market with the Wharfedale brand, IAG have probably decided the time has come to extract more value from the name and the move back to UK manufacturing - for the moment let's assume for the Heritage line only? - probably reflects a realization that they could charge a lot more per unit because of it.

Sure it might add to their costs somewhat but I'm certain they'll more than make up for that with asking prices a-la Mission 770? I doubt Harbeth or Tannoy level pricing, but certainly upmarket of the Linton's. In fairness though I personally think the Linton 85th was probably under-priced for what it is.

Taken at face value, the mid driver and tweeter look identical to the Linton's? Let's hope for a more upmarket crossover design to go with the (assumed) higher asking price and these may yet prove quite interesting.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    John3655, McLover and head_unit like this.
  10. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Did you ever try the 80ths?

11. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

You mean the Denton 80th's? I was referring to Linton 85th's?

If you mean the former, then "no", I haven't.

12. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

10" woofer too... so larger than the Linton's 8". And the stands don't look at corny and dated as the Linton's either... a few design cues taken from the all black Mission 770 stands I think? Looks like a nicer grille fabric too.

Totally agree :laugh:

AC1 likes this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I could feel this was coming, but expected 12" bass driver. Let's see the price.

head_unit likes this.
  14. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

What a transformation for Wharfedale in the last decade of so.

Wharfedale were sold off in the 90's to a large group of companies.And it looked like the name was going to be stripped quickly for short profit and then disolved .Cheap chinese TV's in supermarkets and bargain homeware shops were suddenly all made by 'wharfedale'..Cheap throwaway plastic CD players and dvd players were now having the Wharfdale logo being stuck on the front of them in large numbers.The future didn't look bright as the name was being tarnished for short term profit.

The group of companies in question later purchase the likes of Quad and Leak and i think decided to also bring Wharfedale back into the real UK Hi-fi Market.And the rest as they say is history.

15. AC1

'Made in the UK' might make these just as expensive as the Mission 770. It seems that the affordable China days are over. Due to the price and quality, the Lintons are a worldwide hit. I can't see that happening with the Dovedales at twice the price, or more. ​

head_unit likes this.
  16. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I think you might be confusing the Chinese business model for that of our very own Western venture capital firms :winkgrin:

That was sort of the point I was trying to make earlier… having (in a sense) salvaged defunct, discarded or struggling UK brands - and I’ll agree things did look pretty bleak for a while - I think they now sense their moment to reposition the (Wharfedale) brand upmarket on the back of this trend towards wide baffle, retro speakers by reviving these legacy models and (possibly) making some serious coin on that original investment.

Just about the polar opposite of the western venture capital model of buy an otherwise solvent company, load it up with debt, bet on it's demise and then drive it into the ground… job’s a good’un;)

head_unit and enfield like this.
  17. AC1

I know the China plant is proud to claim that they manufacture everything in-house all the way down to the tiniest of screws. I wonder if the same goes for the UK plant ... or will they only do the assembly of the Dovedales with parts coming from China?

18. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I'm hoping for a "Coverdale", which doesn't sound particularly good but keeps playing decades after the original drivers have failed.

19. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Sensitivity (2.83V @tm) godB
    So what does gobD mean?
    Keep your mouth shut.

head_unit likes this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Giving a quick look at the upcoming Dovedales versus the Lintons, the former is definitely bigger in size with a bigger bass drive. The Dovedale stands do not appear to accommodate any 12" records, unfortunately for some who liked it such as myself.

I'll wait and see how the new model performs as it's too early to tell.

head_unit likes this.
  21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

AC1 likes this.
  22. AC1

Aston stands could be a bestseller!

timind likes this.
  23. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Wharfedale is definitely on a roll.

24. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Thanks, but I'll wait for the Daledale.:)

james, timind, Donniej and 1 other person like this.
  25. AC1

Wharfedale Dovedale:

€ 6.039,-
    £ 5.185,-
    $ 6.351,-

o_O:eek::sigh:

(I got this from facebook from de admin of the Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary group)