New Wolf Alice album. Blue Weekend announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blair207, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Warszawa

Warszawa Forum Resident

This album is Rumours for the 21st Century. Beautiful.

mschrist and stever like this.
  2. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Green vinyl variant is very noisy, though. 3rd coloured vinyl that’s arrived in the last 24 hours and all are pretty noisy...

3. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Cracking album on first couple of listens.

im sure it will get to no 1, given that it’s go so many vinyl variants. I’ve got a couple of personally signed versions coming next week, so might send back my HMV 1921 copy - it’s come without the obi strip, so a valid return.

4. damien

damien Forum Resident

It was baffling how the last album got hyped as much as it did (Mercury prize etc) , there were a good 4 or 5 tracks on there in the second half that just went on forever and were indistinguishable from each other. Had some obvious bangers but it was a real wobble after the fabulous debut IMO. This one has some of the best things they've ever done; that opening three-song-run is something else! It feels like a long time since there was a really great London/UK rock band who improve dramatically over the years but this is one of those for sure.

Also cool; reviving the long-dead 80s idea of 'Video Albums'! Which is to say, a separate video filmed for each song;
    Wolf Alice to show 'Blue Weekend' short film in London with live acoustic performances

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Desperate Journalist are worth a look. Female fronted, London based rock/ post punk band that have been getting better and better. Nowhere near as big as Wolf Alice - but they have their 4th album coming out next month.

TexasBuck and mschrist like this.
  6. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I liked Visions of a Life nearly as well the debut. I think it's pretty solid from start to finish. I don't see Blue Weekend as being all that different - Blue Weekend is maybe a bit more refined and more commercial sounding. Both are stylistically all over the place. (In a good way)

7. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Favorite song so far.
    Lipstick on the Glass

Dreamy Pop

CrombyMouse and Vox78 like this.
  8. brownsound2112

I can't see where the download is supposed too be redeemed from. The card suggests going to their site - I can't see anywhere there that this is possible. Anyone?

9. damien

damien Forum Resident

brownsound2112 likes this.
  10. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

Glad I listed to this first. Not in my age group. Sounds like a soundtrack for Sleeping Beauty.

11. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

JNH Sterling in the dead wax..

Anyone know who this is?

Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling in the liner notes.

Don't know JNH

12. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Joe Nino-Hernes ... Joe Nino-Hernes

13. brownsound2112

damien likes this.
  14. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Enjoying this album - talented band!

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Absolutely love the chorus on "Smile." Perhaps my favorite moment in all of their music.

This band means something to me, and I'm glad they've come up with another great album.

Thorpy, Gary7704 and TexasBuck like this.
  16. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

The new album is very good, maybe a little too slick...only listened to it twice. Still think the debut is brilliant and on another level to the new one and the last one. A bit baffled by the 96 score on Metacritic, to be honest.

TexasBuck likes this.
  17. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I love all 3 albums but still slightly prefer the charms of the first one as well. The 96 is odd. Its a very good album but that's the highest score I've ever seen other than reissues. It's almost like the press is trying to test their hyping abilities to see if it's even possible for a rock band to be huge these days.

Vox78 likes this.
  18. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I saw the Metacritic score. Blue Weekend is sandwiched in between Black Sabbath, The Who and CSNY Deluxe Editions

Weird

19. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Not sure about this at all. Reminds me of a glossier Garbage. Will have to give it a couple more plays. The production is almost too much, unless it’s the usual brickwalled mastering.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As someone noted above, this is not my age group, and I had listened to Wolf Alice’s first two albums and been ambivalent about them, but this is the best new rock album I’ve heard in quite a while. Maybe some of the production is a little much, a little too Pro Tooled, whatever, but a lot of the production is very creative and the songs are mostly great. This deserves to be huge.

CrombyMouse and Thorpy like this.
  21. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Yeah - this ‘wall of sound’ vibe with wailing vocals on top is used once too often…

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Excellent album, it's a shame the mastering of loud passages are compressed to ****. Let those peaks breathe a little, why is this so hard to understand for some mastering "engineers" and I use that term very loosely.

Vox78 and TexasBuck like this.
  23. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I'm music first and audiophile a distant second. I usually don't have any problems with what others say are "Brick-walled" but this album just sounds awful: Particularly on headphones.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Deuce66 likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's not demo quality that's for sure, at least not on my rig.

25. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

That’s how I’ve listened to it. Not a fan at all.