Next Jeff Bridges film: Bad Times at the El Royale

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Exactly my thoughts. It was a very fine movie until he and his crew showed up.
    Still an entertaining movie but not great. The colors, the hotel and music was top notch. But this was suppose to be set in 1969 I believe. I don't know, could as easily take place in the 90s. Except for Hamm and the Hotel itself, I didn't get the 60/70s era feeling at all

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Me too. It felt to me like they clevered themselves into a corner and didn't know where to go next so they tacked on that awful cult leader ending. I was actually surprised how bad this was. I figured at worst it would be a bit hamfisted like Hotel Artemis, but it turned out to be a real stinker for me.

vince likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Of course, we agree!:agree:

4. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

This is on HBO this month. There are some films set in the past where you actually forget you're watching a contemporary production. This felt like a violent classic car convention.

5. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Anybody think it odd that the jukebox was playing 78's of songs made long after 78's ceased production in the states?

7. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I was really looking forward to seeing this based on the trailers and knowing Drew Goddard (director of Cabin in the Woods and writer of a couple of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes which still hold up) was making it. The trailers gave a breezy Tarantino vibe to it. And the movie starts off that way. But as it goes on it gets darker and even nihilistic. At times it's unpleasant to watch. But I don't mean that in a bad way or as a commentary of the violence. Overall the film works for me. I found myself thinking about it a lot in the days following and realized how carefully crafted it is. There's definitely some thematic parallels to Cabin in the Woods, but that film is more easily digestible within its genre. I definitely get the split opinions in this thread.

Mark

The Panda and Silver Surfer like this.
  8. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I am a massive fan of JB. Right from thunderbolt and lighfoot(he should have got the oscar) to Hell or High water(oscar robbery again) he is generally brilliant.
    I felt sorry for him getting the sympathy oscar as thats the ultimate insult to a great actor.
    As barry norman once said of JB
    "he is never less than good."
    Aint that so!!
    I absolutely love hell or high water. BTW, the 4k bluray looks super, whilst the bluray looks pretty awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.