NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini-Monitor Speakers in a Second System

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by townsend, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have a pair of these speakers?

Amazon.com: NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini-Monitor Speaker (Single, Gloss Black): Home Audio & Theater »

I am thinking of building a smaller, second stereo system, consisting of a CD player (I got a mix of digital formats, but ~95% are redbook CDs, so my Teac CD-P650 will handle them), small integrated amp, and small, bookshelf-size speakers. In a sense, the smaller the better the speakers, but of course, when you get too small, you sacrifice sound. I like that these speakers are not sooooo deep as many others, which means if I set them on a desk or small table (placed against wall), they won't stick out as far and take up too much real estate on the piece of furniture.

In this price range (< 250.00 per pair), anything else you would recommend?

Finally, do some of you feel like me.:sigh: My main system is hooked up to a plasma TV/abbreviated home theater set up. I kind of like having something just for listening to music, that is more at eye level (instead of in a cabinet below the plasma TV). I think I would enjoy listening to music more.

2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't have the NHT speakers and haven't heard them, so I can't comment. Years ago, I had a pair of NHT 3.3, but those were another kettle of fish (large floorstanders).

As to alternatives, there is always the Audioengine P4 at $249 direct. I have not heard them, but I did have a pair of Audioengine A5+ in my second system. The A5+ are active (powered) speakers, which meant I could feed them directly from the DAC connected to my computer-based system. If you have only one source, you could use powered speakers and wouldn't need a separate amplifier. I liked the A5+ very much; they have a rather smooth sound.

And yes, I (for one) do like having a music-only system, arranged to give the best music reproduction.

SandAndGlass and townsend like this.
  3. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I have owned the original Super Zeroes for some time and they are great backup speakers that image extremely well. I actually like them better than the old Super Ones which are the bigger bookshelf version. Thought many times of selling them but they provide more value to me as backups than what I could probably get for them on the secondary market.

The name Super Zero 2.1 is confusing as it kind of implies that it is a 2.1 speaker setup complete with 2 speakers and sub...

Today I rock Classic 3's on the daily and I like their neutral tonality and non ported means less issues with placement.

In case you can't tell I am a bit NHT fan.

SandAndGlass and townsend like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I heard the SuperZero 2.1 at NHT's showroom. They were hooked up to one of Marantz's combo stereo receiver/CD player units. And I was really impressed with the sound quality. Keep in mind that I heard the SuperZero 2.1 without a powered sub to reinforce the bass frequencies. Just amazing sound quality.

However, if you can get them on sale at $250/pair, you can upgrade to the SuperOne 2.1. In a small room, I doubt you will want a sub with these.

I am actually going to build a system very similar to what you are proposing....the NHT SuperOnes powered by (possibly) an Onkyo A-9010 integrated amp. Source would either be my Onkyo C-7030 CD player or my Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi universal player.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    townsend likes this.
  5. townsend

Thanks for your replies. I already have a small, integrated amp, and I mean small as in "small footprint". It is no longer manufactured, but here is a pic of the front end:
    [​IMG]
    From L to R, knobs are 1) selector (CD, tuner, phonograph, aux?), 2) on/off switch (in middle), and 3) volume knob on right. The volume knob has just the right taper on it, without getting a huge volume jump anywhere in its ~270 degrees of range.
    Another pic to provide a better perspective on its size:
    [​IMG]
    So whatever I get, I don't want powered speakers. (I have some for my computer, and I hate turning them both on (switches on back), so I plugged them in a power strip, but power strip is out of sight on ground -- just not convenient to get to).

I still make stick with the SuperZeros, though the Audioengine P-4 is a nice alternative. I have stored the amp in a box in my closet. I did dig it out and took it over to a tech to be checked out. Now I just need to fire it up with some speakers at home before committing to purchasing bookshelf speakers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. townsend

I am looking on pulling the trigger on a set of bookshelf speakers. I know I started this thread some time, but my need for a second system is driven by my soon moving out of state, where I want a second system in a room other than my room with the plasma setup.

Now I am comparing these NHT SuperZero 2.1, with the Klipsch R-14M Reference Bookshelf Speakers:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MGQAH2M/ref=psdc_3236451011_t3_B00CKNOYWK
    (Having some trouble with Amazon link, which links Amazon.ca, but I have U.S. supplier in mind.)

The Klipsch are less money (145.00 for the pair), anda they are roughly the same size in terms of height and width, but are 2.5" deeper. I am beginning to think that extra 2.5" will do more justice to the low frequencies.

Anyone hear got the Klipsch and can comment? Thanks.:)

7. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Klipsch are rear ported. Nht are not. Both will lack bass. If placement is important...

I am a fan of nht but not heard the klipsch.

townsend likes this.
  8. beep

beep Senior Member

I wouldn't hesitate to build a small system around super zeros, but they don't have much bass nor do they try to sound like they do. I use 2 pairs of them in my main system which is really a dual purpose HT/Music system. I use them as my surround and height speakers powered by my Marantz receiver, my fronts are 25 year old NHT 2.5i's with a matching NHT center. They work great when playing 5.1 SACD's.

Before I put the in this system I used them in the garage with an old 3D acoustics bass module powered by a 40 watt NAD receiver and they sounded great.

townsend likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have some Era/Peachtree DS 4.5's and they are hard to beat as a desktop system.

[​IMG]
    Believe it or not, this speaker has stupid bass for a speaker of it's size. The woofer, to give you a point of reference as to their size is 4" and has a long through. These speakers are priced ($299), reasonable to their excellent SQ.

And they weigh 5.3 pounds each. They are heavy little suckers! The piano glass (High Gloss Black) is shown above, that is what I have and the finish is flawless. But, you can also get them in Rosewood or Dark Cherry. The warranty is five years P+L.

Check them out!

townsend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.