Nicest / most personable musician you've met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Neal Morse. Super nice and very accessible.........Stayed after a show in Seattle and signed and took pictures till about 1am, he never said a negative word.

DTK likes this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That would be a sin!

Catcher10 likes this.
  3. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Great----Ray/Dave Davies (both sign my orginal Face To Face and Village Green LPs),
    Peter Wolf (always grest)
    Bowie (signed some cd booklets)
    John Fogerty/Kenny Aranoff (both very chatty when we met them/signed whatever we wanted signed!)
    Steve Tyler/Tom Hamilton/BradWhitford (same as above)
    Gene Simmons (signed stuff but refused to posed for pics with his tongue sticking out without makeup on!)
    Mitch Mitchell (very approachable whe he played with a Hendrix tribute band in 1985)
    Tina Weymouth (absolute sweetheart!....upbeat and posed for pics....even sang a bit of Jocko Homo while talking to us/TT Club was opening for Devo)
    AC/DC: Brian Johnson and Angus were extremely nice!
    Mary Fahl (ALWAYS goes above and beyond to chat and be pleasant)
    Smithereens (all great except Pat was a bit sarcastic....but funny!)

Not so great--Joey Kramer (I referenced a drum teacher he was taking lessons from between tours and actually got huffy about it and denied it)
    Joe Perry (very standoffish and full of attitude although my wife says he was very nice to her)
    Phil Rudd (AC/DC drummer---a prick, full of attitude)

DTK and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

That's weird, Page came into the store a bunch of times with David Coverdale when they were doing that album at Criteria which is a mile and a half away.
    Page was shopping and talking to us and was a really friendly guy and would sign anything, he signed my Ampex LZII reel to reel with the "The Only Way To Fly" misprint on the side of the tapebox which made Page laugh. Meanwhile Coverdale was telling us what went down at Cal Jam '74, he was great until I had to call in Denny Carmissi's American Express card to get the authorization number for his purchase, that's what happens when your card terminal is set up for only Visa & MasterCard. He's a major cheapskate. Page came in one evening and bought $400 in Zeppelin bootleg CD's. A week later his valet brought them all back while the owner was losing it having to do a $400 refund. The valet said something to him that sounded like "you don't want the RIAA to get involved" so the owner refunded Page his $400. The next time I saw Page and his valet I was asking him about the bootlegs and he told me "Jimmy DAT'ed them all since they have things that he doesn't have and to replace things that were stolen". I told him "I'm surprised Jimmy didn't pull a Sue Mingus and walk out the door with them" and he burst out laughing. He knew about Mrs. Mingus and her antics.

A few others who slipped my mind while doing the first post

Terri Nunn
    I kept cracking her up with jokes to where she was laughing hysterically where she started wheezing, this was going on for 10 minutes, she then pulls out a promo shot of herself and writes "Michael, so are so funny, love you. Terri". She was still giggly when she left.

Barenaked Ladies
    Four out of five guys where there, Kevin Hearn was absent due to leukemia treatments.
    My friend at WEA got me backstage for the Stunt tour and we were all in the green room, me, some label people and some radio contest winners were all backstage.
    They were all great and friendly guys (even Steven). What was strange was this woman blurts out "I was a member of the US women's hockey team and I played at the 1988 Olympic games". The entire band walked away from whomever they were talking to and sat on the carpet in front of her while she sat in a chair talking about her hockey conquest, then everyone had to leave the green room. When they ushered us out, she was still talking while the band sat in front of her.

Boz Burrell
    Another WEA event at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater back in 1997 for Bad Company's reunion tour.
    I was wearing my Jaco Pastorus t-shirt at that concert which was great, Richard my best friend and co-worker was with me and was a major fan so I gave him my ticket for the after concert meet and greet. Anyway after the show I'm by the stage waiting for Richard who's in for the M&G and I hear this guy with a British accent say "how dare you come to me with God on your chest" then I realize it's Boz. The first question he asked me "is the Hollywood Sportatorium still around?", "no, it was leveled to build a housing community", then Boz shouts out "my prayers have been answered, that was one of the worse places I played at with the worst acoustics". Then we talk about basses and such, 15 minutes goes by and Simon Kirk comes out and tells us "we were wondering what happened to you, the place is full, he have to go" and leaves, Boz yells out "I want to talk to this man, those M&G's are so boring" so we shake hands and he leaves. Then Richard comes out telling me "everyone thought Boz Burrell left since everyone was waiting for him for 15 minutes", 'yeah, I know because we were talking at the front of the stage talking to him for 15 minutes. He played with King Crimson so he's extra awesome in my book". Richard hands me a fully autographed flat and we split.

tedg65, Daryl M, DTK and 2 others like this.
  5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I need to add Leroy Vinnegar. You could sit right down next to him and chat between sets or end of the night when he had his weekly gig in Portland in the mid-90s. When my brother visited and told him how much he'd loved his set, Leroy directed him to pull his gig poster off the wall and signed it for him.

Roy Haynes was/is yet another gracious soul. He stayed and greeted folks after a show we attended, and when I asked him about Eric Dolphy (he was signing my Out There cd) he kind of lit up and fondly reminisced for a minute.

6. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

Used to drink in the same pub as Ian McCulloch about 10 years ago in Liverpool. Friendly but reserved guy (though he was often there with his girlfriend at the time). Much more animated if Liverpool FC were on the telly though. Even on a rainy weekday afternoon he looked cool as ****

DTK likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think Denny Laine and Hilton Valentine we’re both extremely nice people the times I was able to chat with them.

Jerry Garcia was great to run into on the street and he really responded to me like I was an old friend he hadn’t seen in a while. I think he would’ve chatted longer if there wasn’t someone try to keep him moving.

Crimson Witch and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Already mentioned and I'd agree.

Peter Wolf very easy to meet and chat like normal music buddies. I wish he would tour on the west coast again as it has been a long time and I missed it last time.

Angus Young - gave me some advice on electric guitar setup and when unclean chords are fine and good enough. Then gave me some picks too.

9. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

b 52s
    doobie brothers
    Doug and Stu from Creedence
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Chris Squire(just months before he passed/we had front row seats on his side/seeing him do Starship Trooper ending burned in my memory)
    Devo(spent much time speaking with Mark and Bob 1 and 2)
    Foghat with lonesome Dave still around at a music store
    Loretta Lynn
    Gordon Lightfoot
    The original War band
    Dickey Betts......bitter and grouchy as always
    Terri Nunn....still very nice and looks fantastic
    Elliot Easton of the Cars........always loved his playing with the Cars/Creedence
    Original Atlanta Rhythm Section

and many others.......

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Bassist Richard Davis. I took his jazz history class three times (1978, 1981-82) and he kept up friendly, personal communication with me for over 35 years after that. I am not a musician. He is just a very nice man.

11. DigitalL.A.

DigitalL.A. Forum Resident

Dion DiMucci
    Gerald Wilson
    Anthony Wilson
    Little Anthony (what is it with Anthonys and Wilsons?)
    Roger Kellaway
    Freddy Cole
    Jackie DeShannon
    Bill Medley
    Johnny Rivers

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. DigitalL.A.

DigitalL.A. Forum Resident

I forgot to mention Scott Kempner, always kind and thoughtful, and Linda Hopkins.

13. Mandocello

Mandocello My irritability keeps me alive and kicking

I bumped into Richard Ashcroft one day when he was making a video. ;)

landerstnkb likes this.
  14. GuvnorsWhiteJacket

GuvnorsWhiteJacket Lord Julian's Consort

Ray Davies from the Kinks stood next to me at the bar at a local event I attended. Didn't get to speak to him but he seemed decent enough.
    Andy Taylor from Duran Duran is one slice of absolute brilliance! He is married to the daughter of my ex boss and I sat next to him at a party given by aforesaid boss. Great sense of humour, very intelligent and down to earth. We discussed politics and he told me his honest opinion of Britain's then Prime Minister Tony Blair.
    My avatar Tomas Ledin is another nice guy. I have interacted with him on his website and Facebook. He calls his fans his 'dear friends' and treats them respect.

fishcane and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  15. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

Eddie, Sammy, Mike and Alex
    Paul Simon
    Nathan East
    Matt Sorum
    The Edge
    Bobby Ellsworth

Fullbug and Jarleboy like this.
  16. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

I had positive interactions with:
    Cassandra Wilson
    Pat Metheny
    Daniel Humair
    Tony Levin
    Steve Hackett​

17. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I used to help do the catering for the artists that played the Fillmore in San Francisco for a short time in the early 2000’s. Our job was to feed the artists after their sound check and before the doors opened. I got to serve some cool acts and some that were not my cup of tea. Out of everyone I served the nicest guys were Matchbox Twenty. Not a fan of the music but they were a band on the rise and they were clearly having fun with it all. They were self deprecating, and had wonderful manners. They had a long day of interviews and the band and their girlfriends (also so nice) were given the room to relax before the show. Immediately they had us stop serving the food, sit with them, smoke cigarettes and just talk and have fun. Rob Thomas was one of those people that made you feel at ease right away.
    Another nice band was Travis. They were touring their first album and were just super dorks, but just nice Scottish guys. I remember they invited me and a coworker to hang with them backstage before the show. Those Billy Bass toys were really popular at the time and they just sat around laughing too much at the dumb fish.
    I met some jerks too but no need to tell their stories.

18. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

We're going back a bit (in the later case decades) but that would be a dead heat between Nona Hendryx and Julee Cruise

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I met Charlie Sexton a couple of years ago. I flew to Barcelona to catch one of the shows where he and Chuck Prophet were doing the Some Girls album (I was working on my biography of Chuck at the time). Hung out at soundcheck, then we all went for dinner. On the way back to the venue, as we approached, Charlie goes, "uh-oh, Bobcats!". He had spotted some familiar Dylan fans waiting to catch him. We took a detour and found a back way in.

He seems like the sweetest guy. A friend of mine who spent a few days following the tour doing some filming endorsed my impression 100 per cent. Occasionally, a Dylan story would pop out. Always fascinating. I came away from that evening thinking, it is entirely possible to epitomise rock'n'roll cool and be the total opposite of a rock'n'roll ###hole at the same time.

DTK and All Down The Line like this.
  20. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Neil Innes - genuinely nice person and generous with his time. Met him twice and he was wonderful on both occasions. Such a sad loss.

BeSteVenn, linklinc, anth67 and 2 others like this.
  21. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Great
    Mike Dirnt
    Eddie Money
    Bruce Johnston
    Bret Michaels
    Neil Perry

Not-So-Great
    Kenny G - Prissy prima donna
    Mike Love - The rumours are true - He's kind of a jerk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    javilu77 likes this.
  22. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

John Doe from X.

Beamish13 and Nightfly68 like this.
  23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

David Gedge

MadMelMon likes this.
  24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

BRIAN AUGER

25. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Yes, I met Charlie (and his son) after one of Dylan’s gigs at RAH a few years. We had a nice relaxing chat outside the venue. Funny thing, the following night I got into conversation with one of the guys in the Lost Brothers who was very keen to meet up with Charlie. Unfortunately, Charlie was no where to be seen. On a side note, Tony Garnier produced The Lost Brothers sixth album.

windfall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.