Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 3, 2018.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This is an older son from a previous relationship.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm sure it's no less painful

3. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Just returned home from the screening of This Much I know to Be True. Well worth it to see the songs performed “live” (actually somewhere between a live and a quasi studio setting). For me the best part was the first 10 minutes where Nick shares his “Lockdown project”, a side project that most of us would lack the creativity and genius to achieve even with a lifetime of opportunity and skill.

Nick and Warren are on quite a creative musical journey at the point of filming. Nick seems grounded and well too. I hope the loss of Jethro doesn’t send Nick too far into the abyss. Strength to him.

4. mark winstanley

I'm looking forward to this.... our screening is tonight!

I certainly have the same hopes in regards to that last part.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

This Much I Know To Be True was excellent...
    It starts slightly oddly, but soon moves into variants of the songs.
    My wife and I both thought it was second only to the concert

Marc 74 and Putrifiers II like this.
  6. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

I assume the song Carnage is included?

7. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

By the way, it's 30 years since Henry's Dream was released.

8. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

My wife couldn't stand the circling of the camera during the songs. After the break in the movie I had to watch the second part on my own...:shake:

9. mark winstanley

I thought it added to the atmosphere, but each to their own

10. mark winstanley

I know they did White Elephant and Hand Of God ... I can't remember if Carnage was in there as well.

Ernold likes this.
  11. Br3tto

Br3tto Forum Resident

Does anyone have a set list for the film? I’ve been scouring the internet but cannot find a thing. Can anyone confirm if Bright Horses is included?

I’m really hoping for a blu ray/cd release very soon

Adam Bosman and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Bright Horses is the second song I think. Like the concert.

It is essentially Ghosteen and Carnage material.
    I can't recall it all, and I couldn't find anything online either.
    Last night I was just enjoying the movie, I wasn't taking notes lol

Br3tto likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

14. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ show from Montreux Jazz Festival will be streamed live on 2 July at 11:00 PM CEST via Qello Concerts. To watch the livestream visit here.
    The show will be re-broadcast on 2 July at 11pm EDT, and for a final time on 3 July at 11pm AEST.

(Berlin,last Wednesday)

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Anybody know who is in the Bad Seeds these days?

16. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Warren Ellis - guitar, violin, synth
    Martyn P. Casey - bass
    Jim Sclavunos - percussion
    George Vjestica - guitar
    Larry Mullins - Drums
    Carly Paradis - Keyboards
    Also, the three back up singers from the recent Warren Ellis & Nick Cave tour are with them. Lots of great footage on YouTube and a live stream of their show at Montreux took place today. Looks to be a killer tour! Wish I could make it to the EU go to one of the shows.

17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The Montreux live stream was excellent. Top-notch performance!

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

Nick Cave - Seven Psalms.

[​IMG][​IMG]

A1 How Long Have I Waited?
    A2 Have Mercy On Me
    A3 I Have Trembled My Way Deep
    A4 I Have Wandered All My Unending Days
    A5 Splendour, Glorious Splendour
    A6 Such Things Should Never Happen
    A7 I Come Alone And To You

B1 Psalm Instrumental

This is a limited release 10" record.
    The sound files are available though, from cavethings, and discogs.

Presented somewhat like a bible, and with the biblical image I am imagining this to be one of Nick's reflective type albums, and it is a mini-album of sorts.

The cover presents well, and we have a sort of minimalist aesthetic going on with it.
    I prefer the plastic sleeves, to the paper sleeve provided, but that's fine, I can live with that.... I'm not sure this will be an album that will get a lot of spins... perhaps if it was on cd.... records do get spun at my house, but infrequently.

So what have we got here...

The record sounds clean, and the frequencies are solid, low through hi.

The somewhat ambient keyboard opening, with some "ooo" backing vocals.
    Then this spoken word poem.
    Short and sweet.

We open with gentle effects, then the keyboard. Then the spoken, reflective poem.
    We get the Warren backing vocal.

A few little crackles, but it probably needs cleaning.

These are short little vignettes of reflection from Nick. I get the impression they are part of his searching yearning for inner peace, and the Christian tilt some of his reflections have taken, seem part of his searching.

Nick has seemed to feel a need to lean into positivity and messages that encourage and lift, hence his concert recently being so stunning.

Here we have a logical culmination of his recent work and his direction.

Ambient soundscapes with the occasional backing vocals and minimalist piano, with searching words of hope.

To some degree it leads me to wonder if this release will signal a change in direction, or if we are here now.

I guess this release may not appeal to everyone, but it works for me. Lyrical themes and musical backdrops that suit me, I could see me playing this on cd in my car, as a soothing balm against the war outside the car windows.

Side two, starts the same, and it seems like it is a meditative continuation for the listener to perhaps add their own thoughts and prayers, after pondering what Nick was saying on the other side....

Moving along it appears to be a musical reflection of side A, and it is good to listen to in my opinion.... not pop hits, but engaging little soundscapes that will paint mellow pictures in the mind, if that kind of thing takes your fancy.

This isn't going to compete with Ghosteen, Carnage, Skeleton Tree or Push The Sky Away, but I doubt it was ever supposed to.
    This isn't going to compete with The Good Son, Henry's Dream, No More Shall We Part or Abattoir Blues, but we have entered another world with Nick at this stage....
    The addict struggling to find a place, has recovered, and even in the face of great tragedy hasn't fallen back into self destructive ways..... like the universal therapy of the Red Hand Files, we find someone who is holding tight to sanity, and all the things that may be possible through it.
    Reflecting, rather than rejecting, hoping, rather than despairing, moving forward and looking for a light, in an ever more dark world..... and even more importantly offering light and comfort to any who would seek it out.

In light of all that, I can live with and enjoy this.
    We've heard Nick explore the darker and more violent facets of life, and now we sit back with a tone of reflection and let some light shine in.

20. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

the black crow king has traveled quite a distance

Callahan and mark winstanley like this.
  21. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

I like all of them by default, even the ones I never play.

(Ghosteen still grows with every listen. And I really liked it from the very first time I heard it. And the vinyl is beautiful)

22. mark winstanley

Messing around with Ranking Engine...
    These were the results for me... with some really difficult choices

1 Higgs boson Blues
    2 Bright Horses
    3 Magneto
    4 Hollywood
    5 Jubilee street
    6 Papa won't leave you Henry
    7 Mercy seat
    8 Hallelujah
    9 John Finns wife
    10 Lavender fields
    11 There She Goes My Beautiful World
    12 Jesus alone
    13 Girl in amber
    14 Into my arms
    15 Straight to You
    16 Ship song
    17 When I first came to town
    18 The good son
    19 The Carny
    20 Weeping song
    21 Ghosteen
    22 Your funeral my trial
    23 We came along this road
    24 Push the sky away
    25 From her to eternity
    26 Get ready for love
    27 Stranger Than Kindness
    28 Long time man
    29 15 feet of pure white snow
    30 Foi Na Cruz
    31 Hiding all away
    32 More news from nowhere
    33 We call upon the author
    34 Henry Lee
    35 Do you love me
    36 White elephant
    37 Wide lovely eyes
    38 O children
    39 Red right hand
    40 New morning
    41 Hand of God
    42 Babe I'm on fire
    43 Breathless
    44 Wonderful life
    45 People ain't no good
    46 Curse of millhaven
    47 Thirsty dog
    48 God is in the house
    49 Deanna
    50 Knocking on Joe
    51 Long Train Suffering
    52 Tupelo

23. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

that's quite a list
    only thing that i can say is jubilee street live and in person is a transcendent experience and one of the highlights of any bad seeds performance, can't wait for the new album
    wonder what mr cave is up to this time around

mark winstanley and jonnyhambone like this.
  24. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Always a good song but I’d never imagined it reaching the heights it reaches live. The version on the Distant Sky ep is amazing (and then ‘Distant Sky’ just obliterates me everytime).

crazy eights and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

Saw Nick and Warren in Dallas last year... the whole set was transcendent...

The main thing I noticed with the list is lean towards the ballads... I knew I did, but not that hard... if you know what I mean.

Going to see Nick solo in Dallas in October... really looking forward to it

crazy eights likes this.