Nick Cave: Ghosteen (New Double Album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Totally agree. Dig is great!

Callahan and Marc 74 like this.
  2. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Could almost be the title of a song on the new album. It would fit right in. Lol!

3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Is there any info on where the vinyl is pressed for the U.S. and European versions? I recall ordering all of the reissues from Europe because the U.S. pressings were not pressed as well.

4. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

I haven't seen any info on that yet. But I really hope it's a better pressing than Skeleton Tree! That pressing was a bit of a disaster.

BlackCircleVinyl and Bryce like this.
  5. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

That’s been in the back of my mind also. I think I returned 4 copies of Skeleton Tree before finding an OK one, and even that’s not perfect...

Callahan likes this.
  6. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Yeah I totally agree. I should have sent mine back. It was so dirty and had marks all over it. It is also kinda noisy. Not impressed considering how good Push The Sky Away was.

7. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

That was a weird release; they got so many complaints about the intitial (large sleeve) pressing they set up a specific email to ask for a replacement. I emailed that and got a replacement of the initial pressing, but with a poly lined sleeve, which was perfect. Meanwhile they produced an entirely different pressing in a different sleeve less than two-months later, and that received a load of complaints about quality issues too from what I remember. Hopefully lessons have been learned for this LP.

BlackCircleVinyl and mikeburns like this.
  8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

9. Listening now to the live preview of the entire album on YouTube. Blasting the gorgeous moody music through my stereo.

Stunningly beautiful.

10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

After 3rd track was already looking at ordering the double vinyl. Lovely.

11. After the interlude, part two (second disc) has a bit of the vangelis thing going. Then the haunting vocals and beautiful harmonies kick in after almost 5 minutes

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am enjoying it a lot. It is talking atmospherics to a whole other level.
    It's irritating seeing all the children commenting on the side though .....

Marc 74 and Runicen like this.
  13. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Well, I think I preferred it to Skeleton Tree but its still not really something I could see myself listening to all that often or going “man, I hope he plays x track live”.
    There were elements I did enjoy and tracks I preferred over one another but I guess I am just more into his First Born is Dead through to Dig Lazarus Dig run of albums.
    I miss a more varied vocal style being taken in each track and change ups in instrumentation.
    There wasn’t a lot of percussive elements, a lot of the backing vocals were more choir-like & I found the musical style too close to the more soundtrack like work of Nick & Warrens.

There were some beautiful moments if frailty along the way but have to conclude this isn’t one for me.
    I can see many loving what is here though & think if you like the style of Push the Sky Away & Skeleton Tree then you’ll be in for a treat.

Geordie777, SoNineties, jimhb and 3 others like this.
  14. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Listened from start to finish, really sounds like an album that will be on the record player for a long long time. Pre-ordering the double vinyl right now.

Loved the idea of the premiere, hopefully other artists will use that idea.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just returned from the Berlin listening session at 8mm bar. Woah... this thing is esoteric. Really quiet. Mazzy brought up Vangelis, I thought Tangerine Dream circa 1980. Definitely not an album for a crowded, smoky bar where American tourists want to talk about your leather jacket (I'm serious, this just happened!).

Will wait for the vinyl to listen to it alone.

16. Ignore all commenters by clicking the full screen option. i simply clicked it and the lyrics were full frame on my screen.... No distractions....

siveld and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Wow,this one needs time to sink in. Very ambient and etheral sounding. Haunting and beautiful but folks who disliked Push The Sky Away and Skeleton Tree will probably have a hard time getting into Ghosteen.

Neonbeam and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

It’s up on Spotify

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I haven't had a chance to listen all the way through, but thanks to @Marc 74 for posting this.
    When I got to youtube it was a live stream type thing and I had no idea where in the album it was. Then it finished and I was disappointed to miss it... then I came back here and clicked on Marc's link and it started from the beginning .. So that was very cool.

I can totally see that this wouldn't be for everyone. It seems to be a more finely tuned Skeleton Tree style. I love Skeleton Tree, and still consider it among Nick's best albums (and I came to that conclusion before I even knew about his son). I find it incredibly moving, and the textures although a little rough are so very effective.
    On the rough listen I have had so far, it seems to take the style of Skeleton Tree and polish it somewhat. Which isn't a bad thing at all.
    I think in reality this is an album that will need time to be digested properly. Although on the surface it seems very ambient, there is a lot going on in that ambiance. It is also seemingly very lyric based, and from what I could tell from a quick listen, well written also.

I can understand Birthday Party fans, and From Her To Eternity fans being somewhat disappointed, but it isn't necessarily aimed at them. Cave is going to express himself exactly how he feels, and that has always been one of the beautiful things about his albums. I would rather him express himself honestly through something that means something to him, than make a rawkus album to please somebody else (or any kind of album for that matter) That pandering mentality is one of the things stagnating music at the moment....
    Anyhow, I will be getting this.

20. Neonbeam

Amazingly many people left during the listening session. After this event I totally don't have an opinion. It certainly doesn't sound like any other Cave album and that alone is a success. Now I'm back home with an oversized "Ghosteen" promo postcard, listening to "Rubycon". By Tangerine Dream.:angel:

21. Neonbeam

Just one thing: Like John Cale, Cave is one of the very few people where "I love you" actually sounds dignified. Not many artists can get away with that. :righton:

Callahan, robbroncs, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I was planning on listening to the premiere. I was excited too. But after just a minute of it I turned it off. I quickly realized it was just not the right setting. The download was just released, so I'm going to give it a full over tonight. Still excited.

I like the idea of dropping an announcement, stream and download all at once. I'll grab the vinyl when it comes out.

Neonbeam and mark winstanley like this.
  23. I listened to it through my main stereo and I played it loud.. This is a recording that shouldn't be listened to through a friggen phone or laptop IMHO.

And turn it up loud!!!

24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Three songs in and it sounds beautiful. Nick has never sounded more world-weary...
    Can’t wait to listen to the CD properly.

Marc 74, Mazzy and mark winstanley like this.
  25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!