Nick Cave releasing a 7LP B-side volume I and II box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

Yeah, for me too. I probably go for the standard release, since I’ve got the re-release of the first set and this period of Nick Cave is my least favorite.

humpf likes this.
  2. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

Definitely! A love a slab of vinyl when it's a curated work, with thought into the tracklist, which song to open and close the sides etc.
    When it's a dump of material I only see trouble: pricy, quality control, lot's of turning records, harder to play certain songs...

CriticalMaasCollectibles and obi like this.
  3. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

The Duet with Debbie Harry is great. Debbie sounds wonderful on it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  4. Vapour

Vapour Forum Resident

Well, I ordered from JPC & they charged my card straight away which they didn't do last time I preordered an item, so not sure now about their policy.

The 7LP Box is now showing up on local sites at the same price anyway, so I'll cancel the JPC order - I'd rather give my hard earned cash to local businesses & returns are much easier if there are any issues.
    The Box may be *Limited*, but initial availability doesn't appear to be an issue.

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

That's from the Jeffrey Lee Pierce projects compilation ; great song

Echo and Jmetamatic like this.
  6. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

Shimmy Disc artist The Blue Whale has a self titled CD (also called Congregation) which is inexplicably linked as the CD version of the forthcoming boxset.

7. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I’m in the UK and I’ve ordered it from the always dependable Norman Records. Good price (£155 inc postage) and they have a good returns policy. Which, obviously, I’m hoping to not utilise.

Callahan likes this.
  8. capt.co

capt.co Forum Resident

9. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I am not sure on whether this is supposed to be so, but a good chunk of Vol II is available in Tidal. Listening now.

Not showing in Spotify, just checked.

Weird.

J

Adam Bosman and Callahan like this.
  10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I think the "Volume I" was fine and it surely had it's moments (haven't actually listened to that one in full for some time), but as I recently listened to some songs (7 of them) from "Volume II" available on Tidal here, I think there was even one lesser song.
    Anyways, as the boxset is being released this friday I have to think really is this really worthy to get on vinyl? Im not actually sure, is this anyways so good material that it should be owned even if you got collection all the albums, live's and stuff on both lp and cd.
    Im affraid will this even be near "Volume I" and it's finest moments? Good old cd or even streaming might provide good option to listen to the b-sides. Hope that the rest songs on "Volume II" are outstanding and great b-sides.
    Still got the preorder locked from Amazon.fr but might have to think this more soon. I might keep it though..

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

This one:

I don't think I've heard this one before. Pretty good.

Jmetamatic likes this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Whether this will be worth it depends what you think of St. Nick’s recent output. Personally, I prefer the years covered by the first set, but that’s just a matter of taste.

The macerator likes this.
  13. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

I was on the same boat, with the same reasoning and everything... then I just canceled the order for the vinyl set last week.
    I finally was convinced by the fact that it would be safer and sounder to wait for the first reviews to start coming up.

I have had far too many quality control issues over the last year or so, including Cave's records (Carnage and Idiot Prayer).
    Yes, amazon allows for easy returns but I just can't be bothered. Not anymore.
    I have no time nor desire to deal with it plus negative experiences really kill my enthusiasm.

I am sure I will at the very least pick up the CDs at some point, as I have all of his official releases already.
    On the fence for the records.

mikemoon likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm kind of in the same boat. My order with Amazon France is still open. Oddly enough, I keep getting fraud warnings from my credit card saying a suspicious charge of $57 keeps appearing from Amazon France. I've gotten three of these but no actual charge on my card. It's strange because the box set was about double that plus shipping and tax.

Also the fact that they are using the same pressing plant in Poland where other Cave lp QC issues have been reported isn't encouraging.

I have most of Nick Cave's catalog on vinyl but not all so not sure if there a bit of a completist mentality going on here.

15. blewmaearsout

Uhm, hate to break it to you, but you've probably signed up for Amazon France's Prime service.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Oh wow. I swear I thought I just didn't a simple purchase check out. I'm going to have to fix that. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I'm glad I made that post even though I feel a little dumb for how that transaction happened. That was tricky. Luckily, today was exactly 30 days from the creation of that order. I cancelled both the Prime and the lp order. I can order it from Prime US if I really want it after some reviews come in. Again, thanks for pointing out my error.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    blewmaearsout likes this.
  17. blewmaearsout

If it's any consolation, I made the same mistake. :biglaugh:

Beechlander and mikemoon like this.
  18. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

I just canceled mine from amazon.fr. There is zero chance I would ever listen to the whole thing even once, and only a few sides more than that in the time remaining to me.

I feel great.

joe1320 and mikemoon like this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Hopefully I did the cancellation correctly. They sent me an email but it was in French and seemed like it was just trying to sway me back in for the Prime benefits. I thought I was going to have to contact customer service and explain my error. It looks like I was just signed up for the trial. It never got a chance to charge me at least and said it would refund me but that is not necessary since the charge didn't go through.

I feel the same way about it. Sometimes with vinyl I think I need things that I don't need.

rubberhead and Electric Sydney like this.
  20. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

The battle against FOMO is long and arduous, we should organize a walk

Electric Sydney and mikemoon like this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I thought this for while today and now I have cancelled the preorder. I feel that I don't need this set..even if I like Cave's whole catalogue and works through the years.
    Im gonna wait for the reviews (of pressings and songs etc) and also I wanna check some more songs from the set and then see if I wanna still get it. It might be good set but I don't always need to have it all on vinyl.
    Besides, at the moment I have wealth amount of cd, lp and boxsets in my collection anyways. And I feel that even if I like certain artists and bands, I don't have to be completist for all the b-sides or stuff like that.

stefane, Electric Sydney and mikemoon like this.
  22. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Gosh, there’s not much fun to be had in this thread is there?

My copy of the vinyl box has arrived from the always reliable Norman Records and it’s a thing of beauty. I’m looking forward to playing some of it over the weekend. Glancing through the tracklisting, I can see there are some fantastic songs on it.

Turbo2k, Dreaddazzman, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  23. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

My CD set is arriving today and I can't wait! Volume 1 is one of my favourite compilations ever, and I'm expecting to enjoy this set even more as I prefer Cave's later work generally.

24. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I look forward to what you guys think of these.

25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Two tracks in and this is already utterly gorgeous.

The deluxe CD set is lovely. Heavy card slipcase, booklet, and each disc in its own white card sleeve with black die-cut inner sleeve that reminds me of old 5" floppy disks.