Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

A deal indeed, doc. Did Nick pay the studio costs out of that or are they traditionally billed directly to the label? The advance to Nick and the studio/production costs would have to come out of any future royalties before Nick saw any residuals, correct?
    Just imagine The Beach Boy's production costs for "Good Vibrations" alone; of course, they had a sales track record to back them up.

alexpop and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  2. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

I'm not even sure, given the way this album was conceived and created ("the first we heard of it was when it was finished"), that there was an advance. Nick just had his weekly allowance up til some time in '74.

It seems odd that Nick would be invoiced by Sound Techniques then get the money (in cash?) off Island to pay for it but I guess this was the chaos of the Record Business ca. 1965 - 1985..?

3. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

Pink Moon came after the sale of Joe Boyd's Witchseason label, so might it have been the case that Nick (or perhaps Rodney) paid for studio time upfront - that way circumventing any need for label approval of Nick's plans from anyone at Island?

lemonade kid, alexpop and the_doctor like this.
  4. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

Yes, if you want complete control that'd be the way to go about. I did wonder myself if it could have been a Rodney-conceived pro-active approach.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must have been a bit of a comedown after the champagne supernova party atmosphere with BL.. to get the cheaper after 11.00 pm slot. With Pink Moon which had no commercial potential compared with his previous 2 efforts. Was Nick on Pro plus during the PM sessions, over the counter students used for exams .. kept them awake.. I wonder ?

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Pink Moon
    Recorded during Sound Techniques "down time" with only John Wood as engineer & later acknowledged as producer
    John Wood strongly believed in Nick
    So sounds like a "freeby" to me, the only real cost being the reel of tape

Chris Blackwell asked Nick what the recording costs were
    "500" was the reply.
    Blackwell wrote out the cheque, which Nick duly cashed

Desolation Row and lemonade kid like this.
  7. Elmer McMuffin

We don't know whether John worked for free. It sounds unlikely if Nick incurred £500 of costs. Being acknowledged as the sessions' producer would have earned him extra points, which, had the thing sold, would have given John more money. If the traditional EMI roles were observed at the time (think George Martin's role with the Beatles, as opposed to Geoff Emerick's), Nick was responsible for the production on Pink Moon, with John acting strictly as engineer.

Ellen1014 and lemonade kid like this.
  8. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

lemonade kid and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

Time Mojo did a Nick Drake special!!!!!!!!

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. alexpop

Positively fourth album ..
    Was their any indication of a follow up to Pink Moon... from Nick Drake‘s perspective?

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. alexpop

Like stories like that!!!!

lemonade kid and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Cheers! :righton:

There haven't been any this year!

13. alexpop

All the good stuff is been online for the past 20 years. Nice when you find a remaining bricks and mortar store with at least one record ya want.

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm lucky in that I got most of the rarer records I wanted back in the 90s when records were cheap. I also like a lot of stuff that isn't incredibly collectable or fashionable (60s girl singers, Motown LPs, 60s and 70s soul, 80s synth pop, 50s rock 'n' roll, 7" singles etc) so I do still find affordable and cheap records I'm happy with. If something is too rare then I go for the CD and am content with that. There's always some way of getting cheap music!

15. alexpop

Got the 1979 (Black inner) Bryter Layter about 10 years ago for £20.00. But .. if you’ve just discovered Nick Drake, cds are a great buy.. n‘ cheap.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A friend has one of those. A superb pressing.

17. alexpop

.. Analog?
    The 1979 pressings are the ones to get.
    Don’t know what they go for now .. guess about 40.00.

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think it uses the same stampers as the early 70s one I have. Yeah, analogue of course from that era. Is it the one with blue labels and the inside gatefold artwork on the inner sleeve?

alexpop and lemonade kid like this.
  19. alexpop

My Fruit Tree is also from 1979. prefer the 1986 ( digital) beach cover though. Should have been the cover for Pink Moon.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    lemonade kid likes this.
  20. alexpop

Yeah! The nineties the last decade for buying the goodies in record shops. I bought Scott Walker‘s“ Til The Band Comes In“ for £20, then a few days later I seen it in a market for 3.99,,ha! Typical. Got my LOVE USA album pressings that decade as well. Plenty record stores+ Tower / Virgin ..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  21. alexpop

What make was Nick‘s RTR tape machine?

22. Elmer McMuffin

A Beocord 1500 that was either given away by Rodney or was 'picked up' by Joe Boyd alongside sundry tapes after Molly's passing, depending on which story you read.

23. alexpop

Bang & Olufsen.
    Nice deck.. not high end like Revox 36 series though.

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. alexpop

Look great as a Pre recorded RTR tape.

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I have the three albums on LP and CD each one of them, also I have Time of no reply LP and Heaven in a wildflower LP.

Having the three albums, maybe Heaven.. is unnecessary to keep, isn't? I think I will sell it