Nick Drake ~ Pink Moon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crevice, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crevice

Crevice Active Member Thread Starter

Hello, I'm new and have just a few basic questions. I should say I don't have a 30K sound system with reel to reel and a state of the art turntable pumping into 200K Wilson Audio speakers... but maybe one day. I'm 52 and just getting back into vinyl with limited knowledge of the best way to approach it.

I guess the easiest way for me would be to inquire about vinyl. I've heard the debates people have on whether it matters if a vinyl LP was produced from a digital source and as for me I think it absolutely does matter. I bring that up because I'm looking to find some records and I'd like to be able to know how to know if the record I'm about to buy came from an analogue source or was put through a digital converter. I'd like to know if there are publishers or pressing companies to avoid. I haven't started shopping yet. I like to try and do my homework before spend money on just about anything really.

As an example, one of the first records I want to purchase will be Pink Moon by Nick Drake. For those who may not be familiar with it, just trust me on this one. Buy it and thank me later.

What is the info you look for when purchasing a 180 gram vinyl record?

Thanks!

Electric Sydney and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Crevice

Wow, kinda surprised that no one has thoughts on this.

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Probably because we have had multiple Nick Drake vinyl threads in the past. It is always best to do a quick search before starting a new thread.

Welcome to the forum :)

unfunkterrible likes this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I suspect, if you're interest in general shopping advice about what to look for in a 180-gram vinyl re-issue of an old album, that you'd get more responses posting a more general questions with a relevant heading, and maybe in the equipment forum vs. a thread the music forum with a title specific to Pink Moon.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Welcome. I fully applaud your wish. Part of doing your homework, thoroughly at least, would be using the search function here and reading through the large number of threads here devoted to the very topic you wish to explore.

tug_of_war likes this.
  6. Crevice

I was going to edit the post to be more specific to keep it simple but editing your thread is not an option here apparently.

7. Crevice

Hmmm, maybe editing the original post wasn't an option. I see edit option for my reply. Could have been because it was my first post.

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

There’s a window of 30 minutes for editing every post. After that window closes it will no longer be possible to edit the post.

9. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Pink Moon (along with ND’s other two studio albums) was officially reissued on vinyl a few years back. This new pressing was pulled from the original tapes and, especially considering the price of originals, sounds just fine. It’s pretty common online and in brick-and-mortar shops. Unless you want to go for originals or the expensive Antilles represses from the ‘70s, getting good Nick Drake vinyl isn’t difficult at all.

10. Crevice

Did that... but didn't see this very large number of threads you refer to devoted to what I wanted to discuss.

How long is the window?

11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Yeah folks here need to quit acting like the built-in search function is a user-friendly thing. It isn’t.

If I want to find a thread for something on here, I actually go to Google, put my search query in quotes and then add “Hoffman.” 9 times out of 10 I find the thread/info I’m looking for. The actual search function here is trash.

abracax, Gonzo-a-gogo, AaronW and 9 others like this.
  12. Crevice

Thank you for your relevant response

cwd and overdrivethree like this.
  13. Crevice

I agree completely and I just got here. I'm sure there's more responses on the way though telling me what I should have done while offering zero information about the topic.

cwd and overdrivethree like this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Get the Back To Black version on UK Island for like $15.

The Acid Mouse, zither and Crevice like this.
  15. Crevice

When your 1st post is in limbo for moderation, meeting that window is not very likely.

16. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Careful or you'll wind up in the ignore pile like me ;)

tug_of_war and stepeanut like this.
  17. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just get the reissue from 2013.
    It's good

Crevice likes this.
  18. Crevice

Haha, I have no concern about that. If someone or the entire forum wants to ignore me, that's honestly fine. My life will continue.

I seek individuals that aren't afraid of words, conversation or deviation

sekaer and tug_of_war like this.
  19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Done! :edthumbs:

Crevice likes this.
  20. Crevice

Awesome! You rid me of you.

sekaer, cwd and tug_of_war like this.
  21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

@Crevice Discogs is a reliable source of this kind of information. I suggest you always check it out before buying records.

I don't usually do it. For some, I'm an inconsequent collector because it's not always that I care to know what kind of reissue I'm buying. But I know that Discogs can be very helpful.

Blank Frank and Crevice like this.
  22. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Man I skim read that... thought you’d written brickwalled shops! :D
    I sometimes check the dynamic range databases eg. Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Crevice likes this.
  23. Crevice

Thanks!

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I am lucky because the stores I buy from usually have the good reissues, the BG, KPG, etc...

I didn't know all those things when I started my vinyl journey again and realise now that the hundreds I bought were good pressings.

But now I tend to look at discogs and Hoffman forum first.

Crevice likes this.
  25. Crevice

That's what I'm talkin' about, thank you! Bookmarked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.