Nick Drake remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Not by Simon Heyworth. They sound pretty un-tinkered with.

2. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

One more comment to muddy the waters further:

The Fruit Tree box has been issued with the original Rykos AND then remasters (HDCD-labeled). Both of these editions were available in slipcases and carried the same catalog number for the box (and, of course, prior to those you had the originals in the 12 x 12 box).

What I'm uncertain of is whether or not the most recent individual releases are the same masters as the most recent Fruit Tree.

3. markl

markl Senior Member

I just obtained a copy of the original Hannibal Pink Moon HNCD4436 pressed in Canada by Disque Americ (likely early 90's edition).

I've listened to it twice-- it's excellent, likely a flat transfer, which can be good but can also mean less care was taken. It sounds drier than the remaster, and flatter in EQ, but also like it's at a slightly lower resolution (i.e. earlier A/D converters). It also isn't as black of background as the remaster.

Still, it's quite different than the remaster and well worth having, I think preference is purely a matter of choice and not black and white where clearly one out-performs the other.

Neither of them, however, can compare to the versions presented on the SACD Treasury.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Pink Moon

recently, i've found orig. Island 'Made in France by PDO' and US Hannibal discs of Pink Moon. i prefer both to the remaster, although the remaster is not bad (unlike Simon Heyworth's Kinks remasters, which leave much to be desired, IMHO). the originals sound less 'futzed-with' and, as markl stated above, like a flat transfer. also, the volume can be turned up without irritation. these discs satisfy.

just my $0.02. :)

5. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

hey eddie,

are the two pre-remasters (the France PDO and the US Hannibals) the same?

thanks

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Yep :agree:

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How are the Hannibal (Ryko) CDs thought of here?

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I prefer them.

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Cool--you can get 'em literally for the price of a cup o' coffee. I just got Five Leaves Left for $3.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Forum member Mal turned me onto them.

deege3000 likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How does the 1979 Island Nick Drake Fruit Tree vinyl box
    set compare with the 1986 Hannibal Nick Drake vinyl box for sonics ?

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:righton: :wave:

13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

*A word of warning regarding the current Bryter Layter Simply Vinyl pressing with the small round sticker on the front not the older rectangular sticker*
    I recently picked up a copy and it was the worst pressed new vinyl I have ever heard, deep scratches, noisy vinyl, off center and severe warps. I took it back to the store for an exchange and the second one was even worse and had a torn label! Nothing like the pristine Pallas pressed Simply Vinyl of yore.

14. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

I prefer the Ryko Hannibals too but the remasters are not bad as well... the Rykos are more natural sounding IMHO :)

15. alexpop

Are all post 1980 Nick Drake vinyl/cd releases from a digital source ?

16. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

The 'Heaven In A Wildflower' comp is analogue - released on vinyl early 80s. That was my intro to Nick, summer of '86.

Tim

17. alexpop

What label is that ?

18. alexpop

Just checked discogs Island :thumbsup:

Looks like for analogue source ...one has to go back to a pre 1980 source for his solo albums.

19. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

So, this thread is a little confusing. How many different masterings of Pink Moon are there on US CD? It sounds like 2, with the old Hannibal/Ryko disc being the first and then the 2003 being the remaster? Were the HDCD versions (that werent HDCD) remastered too? Or were they just Island reissues because the Ryko contract had expired?

20. alexpop

Update

Just got the Island 1979 Fruit Tree vinyl box
    recently, one happy camper :righton:

21. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

Are you sure about that? I thought they'd gone over to Umatic for the archives by then. I'd be surprised to learn it's analogue sourced, although it certainly sounds decent enough.

22. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Sure, no. But why do an A/D conversion of the analogue tapes to Umatic for an archival vinyl-only release?

23. butch

butch Senior Member

Williow, why would there be digital transfer tapes for such a cult artist anyway in the early 80s? That would have been pure analog at that point, so point well taken. I read Alex's post about thet 1980 Island releases BUT is he 100% sure that the tapes for the Nick Drake catalog were transferred to digital then? And why would Island transfer the tapes to digital in 1980 for? That sounds extremely strange to me........ I had heard that Roger Nichols transferred the Steely Dan catalog unto digital BUT Nick Drake who had a small cult at best being transferred unto digital sense makes no sense. I wonder if anyone knows someone at Island or even talks to Joe Boyd , this 1980 thing sounds like BS to me.......

24. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

Gosh, I'd love to know how much money those three lps have earned since Drake died. 35 years ago now wasn't it?

25. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

And aren't every label who buys those masters contracually OBLIGATED to keep them in print at optimum quality? Otherwise, why keep buying them? I had the combined 1st 2 lps comp on Antilles (list price $2.99!) circa '75 and I stupidly gave the thing away cos I had the other lps (except "Pink Moon" already) Sounds like he's losing it on the last one. Too short, too.
    The sleeve is a stunner, tho!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.