Nick Mason: "I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Then some buffoon will chime in about marbles and holograms, thinking that he's enormously original and witty.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Boy, those 80s/90s Pink Floyd tours must have really burned him up.

Say It Right likes this.
  3. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I don't think he's putting it ALL on Roger, I think he's just making a point. If Nick is right and Roger doesn't respect David from that angle, he's entitled to do that. It doesn't make Roger "the bad guy". There are lots of musicians, critics and fans who feel writing is the most important part of music and that guitarists and vocalists are a dime a dozen. I personally don't feel that way, but it doesn't mean Roger's wrong. But it does show how the two of them will automatically be put at odds.

I'm always completely amazed at how many people tend to see music as some sort of competition, like they have to choose Waters or Gilmour; Lennon or McCartney; Beatles or Stones. You can like them all and if you don't, it doesn't mean that others can't like the opposite of what you like.

4. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... here we go again...

klockwerk and mark winstanley like this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, I've read this thread. So what? Nothing surprising here at all. And certainly nothing said maliciously.

6. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Waters/Gilmour just like Page/Plant

Their egos just can’t reconcile how much better they are with the other, to the detriment of their fans.

A shame.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Writing songs, while critical to creating classic albums, is of course irrelevant to performing those songs in concert decades later - while lead vocals and lead guitar are the two most critical elements that a musician can contribute to such an enterprise.

Freelance_Philosopher likes this.
  8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Breaking News:

This just in, classic rock band that had their peak moments several decades ago still unlikely to reform.

Elderly gentleman states that the another elderly gentleman doesn't respect the talents of yet another elderly gentleman.

Film at 11...

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

LOL Roger is not a great singer or instrumentalist, but he's a huge egotist, so of course he doesn't think singing or playing are as important as the one thing has happens to be good at, writing. Give me a break.

10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Enter!"
    "What happened to 'come in'?"

rontoon, Rfreeman and Instant Dharma like this.
  11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

So Roger does not think much of Elvis and Sinatra. I am okay with that.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  12. Say It Right

It may also be the facade that Roger puts on. Not that long ago, he appeared on "60 Minutes." (Somebody had posted it here from YT.) This was for one of The Wall tours. Steve Croft asked if he missed David Gilmour's musicality. Roger immediately got pissed. Then it went to a clip of David Kilminster playing "Comfortably Numb." Roger emphasized, "those are the notes!"

13. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Respect..:biglaugh:

I have always been curious about what the measure of 'respect' is precisely. It's stick of measurement so often seems to come in a multitude of lengths and it's accuracy always is in question. It becomes fairly obvious that David and Roger both have quite different definitions of it. I think all parties involved garner enormous amounts of respect in the way most of us understand it.

14. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

But before that happens, someone enormously original and witty will spend his valuable time telling us that he predicts just that :D

15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Thing about Waters & Gilmour, and titanic rock bands like Pink Floyd in general, is that you don't have the band without one or the other, as proven by subsequent releases post-The Wall.

You of course need the vision that Waters brought conceptually and lyrically, and the musical tapestry that Gilmour provided. I would even argue that you need Rick Wright to complete the true "Floyd" sound of the band, post-Syd Barrett.

Jam757, Starwanderer, AidanB and 8 others like this.
  16. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Wait...there is an issue between Dave and Rog?Let's straighten out who was "Pink Floyd" in the next few hours.

17. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

[​IMG]

18. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Nick promoted his tour. Nick wins.

19. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

well, as long as this is expected...

i recall purchasing "pulse" and "in the flesh" DVDs at the same time years go. while i found "in the flesh" to be quite entertaining... "pulse" is a snoozefest.

20. Say It Right

OK, so you've done it. "Hey, kid, get off my lawn" is another one.

vitorbastos123 and rontoon like this.
  21. Isn't this where we came in?

22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Which is the reason why future music will be written by machine and performed by a face chosen by the entertainment company.

I dont know.
    My take has always been theres hundreds of singers and musicians that can play and sing this stuff, the hard part is in creating, writing and arranging it.

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That is not inconsistent with what I said. In general I would say Roger was no more involved with arranging than David or Rick. Coming up with guitar and keyboard parts is a huge part of arranging

24. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Thats really the crux of this whole fight.

Roger never thought they would continue on after he left, and they didnt believe that Roger was the one who should unilaterally declare Pink Floyd over.

So they went out, made a couple records and a ton of money touring, and Roger released 3 records, quit touring as a result, and stewed about it for over 15 years.

25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Well... yes. Which is quite succesful, mind you. I imagine he's having more fun this way than having to play 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Another Brick...' for the umpteenth time.

GoodKitty, TheKevster and ries like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.