Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets: Live at the Roundhouse DVD/Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jɑmbo, Jan 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

Yes indeed (as others have said) - good spot. And there's the main riff from the Embryo played during Interstellar Overdrive

2. I really love all those quotes thrown in, almost like (some) jazz players do regularly (Dexter Gordon did that a LOT).

Between the two times I saw the band live, I distinctly remember hearing 2 or 3 different Who/Entwistle quotes, and that “Embryo” quote — and in the moment, catching those quotes live (in real-time) were among the highlights don the whole night for me.

Just that process of subconscious recognition unfolding into distinct awareness over about 5-10 seconds, and then finally figuring out the quote another 15 seconds later (“oh, THAT’S what that was - neat!!”)... that whole unexpected unfolding process was like a bolt of positive energy.

Like I’ve said several times before, The Saucers is one of the only rock groups I’ve ever heard, that pushes the “jazz buttons” in my head so strongly.

And what a tight, tight group!! Their interplay was just amazing. And they were CLEARLY having to listen and respond to each other in the moment, the way the best jazz groups do, playing off each other.

I haven’t ordered my copy of the release yet, but I saw the Blu-Ray material in a theater back in late February (or whenever it was). I’m sure I’ll get around to ordering a copy within the next month or so.

3. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

There's a Clash/Strummer reference in Nile also, Guy says "Gee-tar 'Ero!" , referring to Lee playing a lead.

Hattipper, StormCloud and bigdoug920 like this.
  4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

As I have said somewhere else this is five guys having a blast on stage. There appears to be no egos just fun, because they want to be there playing some cracking songs and not being precious about the arrangements if...atom ... if what a great version

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Chris Peyton at VVVoid in London was in charge of art direction

The If/AHM/If sequence was such an awesome experience live...great to relive it again

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Sigma6, Hattipper and StormCloud like this.
  6. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

So I called Music Today about my snafu. The rep said it was probably caused by "human error" due to shortage of staff. LP was ordered (again) and I hope to get it in about a week or so. They will send a return label for me to send my CD/DVD back.
    Infuriating.

fishyboots and longdist01 like this.
  7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I am so bummed I missed this show. Gonna have to at least get the CD or vinyl...

fishyboots and longdist01 like this.
  9. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Just listened to the vinyl. Outstanding release, and I do not say it lightly. Great recording, performance and pressing. The art presentation package is a nice bonus. I will go as far as to say this is probably the best live solo Pink Floyd album. It is hard to explain, but with other solo Floyd live releases you can tell who is "boss". On this one, they sound like a fully developed band having fun on stage. Highly recommended.

10. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Awesome. My bluray just arrived. Can't wait to rip the audio and give it a listen. I really do wish they had a bluray/CD bundle option, but no biggie. Just a little extra work.

11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Mine too. Mine's in the Blu Ray drive right now while MakeMKV goes about its business copying it. As soon as it finishes, i'm evicting my daughter from the television and watching it.

12. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m as far as Vegetable Man. Absolutely excellent. They sound great and look like they’re really having fun. I only hope I get to see them if the re-rescheduled tour ever resumes.

13. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

And major gripe. The concert without the interviews is literally the one with interviews with hard cuts to take them out thus spoiling the flow of the audio. What a let down for the bluray release. Now I'm even more frustrated that there was no bluray/CD option. So I'll have to do some clever editing. Sigh.

14. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

I'm not so into concert movies so I didn't get the video version, but I can see how that would be annoying. I got the vinyl+audio download, which means the issue is not present for me. Actually i haven't checked the download yet, but - aside from flipping sides - the vinyl flows from song to song (within each side).

15. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Solo section of "See Emily Play" with Pratt playing "The Real Me" underneath is something I never would have imagined working well, but it does!

Those little quotes also remind me of what Zappa was so masterful at doing with his bands...

16. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Honestly, the bluray should have come with a download code too seeing as there's no CDs. In this day and age there's zero reason why there should be a CD/DVD option, but not a bluray version with CDs. So those of us who went with the bluray now either have to suck it up or double dip for either the CD/DVD, lossless, or mp3/m4a. Just a bit lame. Still really looking forward to listening anyway. Just needed to vent :D

Sigma6, longdist01 and Echoes71 like this.
  17. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Watching the "Saucerful" segment right now....It's strange that Nick only plays snare rolls on the "Syncopated Pandemonium" section. It completely saps that section of its power, esp. when you compare it to the madness of the Pompeii version. Pratt hitting that dinky cymbal also made me laugh, esp. compared to the iconic image of Waters and the gong. Oh well...minor gripes.

The 5.1 mix of Saucerful sounds great, though! One of the highlights from the surround sound perspective.

18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Ohh. Yeah, that's disappointing.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There's not even a glitch in the transition. I'm glad they gave this to us as an option. I swear there's just no please some folks.

20. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Watch and listen to the transition from Astronomy Domine to Lucifer Sam. Sorry if my complaint annoys you, but I think they handled the concert-only movie poorly considering the bluray didn't come with CDs or an mp3 download. I'm happy with the option concert-only option. Ecstatic even. Just not with how it was done.

pablorkcz and superstar19 like this.
  21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Minor quibble... I sorta miss the between song banter that took place at the shows I saw, it was pretty much all business for the release .... even the Roger hogged the gong story was much abridged from what I can see so far

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Could this be player related? Some play fine, while others introduce a glitch?

MichaelCPE likes this.
  23. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Does the vinyl have a download code?

24. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

yes. a card inserted with the liner notes and sleeves.

fishcane likes this.
  25. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Not sure. I'm going by how the audio is when ripped from the bluray and also the video I ripped from it. Both show that it's not seamless where the interviews normally are. For the audio I ended up ripping the interview version and doing crossfades to mask the transition as best as possible. It's not the end of the world or anything. Like I said, it's just frustrating to buy an HD format and not get the CDs or at least a download code for the audio. I knew this going in and made my decision based on the idea I would be ripping the concert-only version to audio because I felt it would be more or less like owning the CD but in better quality. I have zero use for DVD if I can avoid it. Oh well.

Anyway, I don't really have the chance to check on a proper bluray player to see if it's seamless there. Just going by what happens when ripping the audio and video from the bluray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.