Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Are you sure you didn't mean to post that in the Roger Waters thread? :hide:

I'm not aware that there is any lip syncing in the Saucers shows.

squittolo and Elliottmarx like this.
  2. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

There definitely was at the show I saw. Strange because I thought Gary Kemp would have been capable of delivering, but he and Guy Pratt were both using vocal assistance.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No one uses vocal assistance on this tour.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

There was absolutely no vocal assistance at the shows I saw, find it hard to believe they would’ve added it later

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  5. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Well, this is the first myself, and it seems most others here, have heard about it.

Do tell! Not saying you're wrong, but the proof is in the pudding. Can you shed any light or bring forth any evidence to support this claim?

fishcane likes this.
  6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Nope. The boys play live and rough. That's how I like it too :D

PhoffiFozz and fishcane like this.
  7. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Right!?!?!?!? Totally heartbreaking, I was so ready for the big 'o' at the end. Metaphorically. But also literally.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    JulesRules, rontoon and anth67 like this.
  8. Derek Slazenger

Not really! Just what I observed. I've seen (and played) enough shows to be able to spot when a vocalist is being assisted. It's not flat-out 'miming' in this instance - just using a touch of technology, but was being used extensively.

9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

You'll have to explain better than that. If its the live vocals having echo or something similar applied, there's not many bands out there that don't treat the vocals with some effects from time to time.

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

A touch of technology like echo or reverb is worlds apart from the “lip syncing” you stated initially. There was most certainly no vocal track or any lip syncing of any sort at the shows I saw. of that I am 100 percent certain

No auto tune either

11. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The only "canned" thing I can think of is the sample of the sped-up piano on "See Emily Play". I had a front row seat and I didn't notice any vocal assistance.

Hattipper, squittolo and fishcane like this.
  12. Derek Slazenger

Not echo or reverb. Actual voices been flown in here and there. This was at Manchester Apollo. I'd be astounded if nobody else picked up on it! It was as clear as day to me!

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

So these are vocal tracks the band sang over? Not the soundscape clips that every Pink Floyd and family show has utilized since the 60s?

Which tunes should I look for?
    Thanks for the venue, I’m going to seek out some video and flac recordings of this night as this would be the first example of this at one of their shows.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Pretty sure you're wrong. Let's see what Lee has to say about this.

fishcane likes this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

From Lee Harris...

Haha! We do.
    Hans Keller,
    The crowd in Fearless,
    John Peel at the start of Let There Be More Light and
    “One Of These Days I’m Going To Cut You Into Little Pieces”.

16. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

The crowd in Fearless is a tape recording!!! I thought they were real Liverpool supporters singing into backstage mics. Bleedin’ con men those Saucers. I demand compensation from my concert tickets last summer!!!!

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’d stop pouring over the Manchester show looking for evidence now but I’m enjoying the performance so much I’m gonna keep it rolling.

Side note there are several fantastic recordings of this show out there on the interwebz

rontoon likes this.
  18. Chains

Chains Forum Resident

The show that I saw (Milwaukee), this keyboard sample didn't work. There was 2 bars of awkward silence before the band kicked back in. Dom just hung his head in shame and the band teased him about it after the song IIRC.

Scancom, PhoffiFozz, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  19. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Shock! Horror! I’ve just discovered that even the laughter after Nick’s stand-up routine is taped!

Listen closely to the Roundhouse recordings and you can hear it because Dom forgets to turn the tape off.

They are using second hand canned laughter from the Two Ronnies and you can hear part of the Fork Handles sketch bleed into the next song!

This probably explains why the live recording has not seen an official release yet.

Hattipper, rontoon and fishcane like this.
  20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I have little hopes that Nick will bring the band to New Orleans, so I'm just waiting on a live album release. Hoping there's a good psychedelic looking vinyl edition.

GoodKitty and Clucking like this.
  21. Derek Slazenger

Correct. Not Nick's soundscapes, echo, reverb :) Can you share your info that proves you're right? I know what I saw and heard. You didn't pick it up! That's fine. It's not meant to be picked up.

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I already shared info that proves that you are incorrect in your assumption about what you think you heard.

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

you are the only one who noticed, and several of us have sat in the first few rows for more then one of these shows... and a band member quoted above states otherwise... I will go with Lee's statement as proof positive that they don't lip synch one second of this show

I did go thru the audio of the entire Manchester show and its a phenomenal performance, you saw a great show performed(and sang) live in front of you!

Hattipper, Billy_Sunday and rontoon like this.
  24. Lee_Harris

Lee_Harris Forum Resident

I have decided to come out of self imposed exile for this...

Hand on heart.. further to my somewhat dry (but hopefully humorous) response to Ron at no point in our show does anybody in our band do any kind of lip synching.
    The only thing I can think of is that..for instance... in Astronomy Guy and I are in unison on the same notes as are Dom and Gary (on different ones) to us. So if I hold a note a split second longer than Guy and one is looking at Guy one might think that something weird is going on.

We have been told by various people that if you aren't looking at us it can be difficult to work out who is talking as our speaking voices are quite similar so it could be a bit of that translating to singing... and if you can't see Dom is singing but are watching Gary maybe 2 +2 = 5?!

Derek.. if you can remember specifically what song it is you think this was going on in I actually have the desk mix of Manchester and I'd go back and see if I can work out what it is that has given you this idea.
    I love this sort of stuff!

Hey.. The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about!

L

Scancom, KariK, PhoffiFozz and 28 others like this.
  25. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

@Lee_Harris for when a date in Portugal? pleeeease. It helps to say that Nick was always my favourite floyd and the era before dark side my favourite? :D

NunoBento and Lee_Harris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.