Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. So anybody see Mandy, the ultraviolet vengeance horror movie by the director who did the sloow art-horror film Beyond the Black Rainbow? I haven't - it only played for a week at one theatre out in the sticks here so far - but it's got some good notices and apparently makes good use of Cage in OTT mode.

F_C_FRANKLIN and Rupe33 like this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

This is an amazing interview. I watched this last night on YouTube. It was recommended to me. I'm a fan of Nicolas Cage. Always have been. I think this interview really gets into a lot of his (very interesting) thought processes behind his acting. All the "over the top" and "not believable" comments may be missing what he is going for, performing in highly expressionistic/anti-realistic ways. It's a different way of acting. And he can do the naturalism thing too. I think he's really fascinating as a performer and he's been in a LOT of films I really love. Some bad ones as well, but I have to respect his ambition.

I watched The Family Man for the first time last weekend. Simple story (charming I thought), sort of predictable but it was elevated by the performances of Nic Cage and Tea Leoni, as well as their chemistry. I found it very enjoyable.

alexpop, enro99, F_C_FRANKLIN and 2 others like this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I loved that film - I was recently separated from my kids when I saw it so it hit home too. Téa is fantastic as usual - she has great chemistry with Jim Carrey in Fun With Dick And Jane too.

4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Where to begin?
    Phantasmagoria of death cult demons and drugged out psychopaths all done up with psychedelic auroras and colors.
    Cage is definitely at his Cageyist craziest.
    Very much worth the chase.

Nicolas Cage's career is an insane rollercoaster. Make sure the safety latches are secure with each and every outing.
    I very much admire this working herky-jerky artist.

razerx, enro99 and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Before I even watched the interview I was trying to draw a parallel to another actor, and darned if Cage didn't refer to himself as the California Klaus Kinski!

trumpet sounds and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Camera, iPhone ?

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and an incredible soundtrack by Danny Elfman! I LOVE THIS MOVIE...

Parachute Woman likes this.
  8. Michael

: ) I watch this often (Family Man)...I love What If movies...

Mal likes this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

He's great in "The Family Man."

Mal and Parachute Woman like this.
  10. If someone is ever foolhardy enough to remake Fitzcarraldo - and heck,I could imagine Herzog himself doing this - Cage is the only one who could play the lead.

11. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Finally got the guts to watch the WTC Movie and I thought he and the supporting cast were pretty good in it...

12. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

13. Mandy is highly recommended if you like the genre.

14. Michael

yes! we really want to see this...

15. alexpop

Still got it but the past 10 years. alimony money.
    Face Off.. :) Immortalised in Spy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. alexpop

Still not too late to give Big Daddy his own film.

17. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I recently re-watched three Cage films, and I am convinced he is one of the best actors around.

Raising Arizona, Adaptation and Mandy.

In Raising Arizona he is particularly brilliant in body movement and timing. So smooth and natural you think it's just Cage being himself, but those movements are not repeated in other films.

And in Adaptation you forget they're the same actor even though they look almost exactly alike the two personalities are played so well.

Mandy was just brilliant honest emotions and reactions in every scene.

18. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I have liked most of Nic Cage's films, including the B films. He has been in a lot of supernatural type movies, which is right up my alley. My favorites are Ghost Rider, The Wicker Man, The Sorcerer's Apprentice and City of Angels. I think people get tired of actors after a while and casting directors are always looking for fresh faces. It's hard to maintain a career in Hollywood after you reach a certain age, especially for women. Then you pretty much have to take whatever you can get.

Matt Richardson and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  20. alexpop

Dudes old now,got bills to pay.

somnar and melstapler like this.
  21. Knox Harrington

Knox Harrington Forum Resident

Casting Nicholas Cage in a movie is probably seen as akin to casting Boris Karloff or possibly John Wayne back in the day. "Nicholas Cage" is so known and has such an identifiable persona that there is a danger that the Cage persona / image would completely overwhelm the character he is playing to the detriment of the film. That may be why directors are hesitant to cast him in "serious" potentially Oscar contending films--his persona would distract from the vision of the filmmaker. B movies, on the other hand, want that Cage star power.

At the same time, I think Cage will win another Oscar at some point. His willingness to push his acting to the edge can result in cinema gold when it connects with the right material and actors. See Adaptation, Leaving Las Vegas, and Wild at Heart, among others.

Just my two cents.

22. townsend

townsend Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  23. Michael

there isn't a movie I didn't check out that has his name attached...I've yet to be totally disappointed. : )

melstapler likes this.
  24. Michael

after seeing this I have to say it was amazingly dark...

25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I haven't read this whole thread, but this is one of those rare films I can watch over and over and never get sick of.
    One of his best roles, but Michael Rappaport steals the show until
    Nic beats him to death.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    melstapler and Matt Richardson like this.