Nirvana...In Utero..."Steve Albini mix": the definitive thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Oct 15, 2017.

1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Was that before or after he penned the letter quitting the business?

2. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Why would that matter?

Cokelike- likes this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Of course, all I’m saying is who knows which he’d prefer today? I’m not at all concerned whether the 2013 is approved by Cobain. Krist spearheaded the new mix and Steve Albini was responsible for the remix, so if anyone was qualified to do it, you’ve got those two right there. If anyone knows what Kurt Cobain would have dug, those are your guys.

This is no different than stuff getting done for Hendrix, etc. I trust Eddie Kramer to bring a level of integrity to the table.

James Bennett likes this.
  4. PlushFieldHarpy

Just saying that something obviously did not meet with his approval.

5. soniclovenoize

But it's a logical jump to say In Utero was the source of that.

6. PlushFieldHarpy

It most certainly addresses it.

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

You're confused, and I offer this in hopes of straightening this out, since no-one appears to have said it to you plainly:

When you talk about "the Albini mix," you are talking about the remix Albini did in 2013. When others talk about "the Albini mix," they are talking about the original album that Albini in fact mixed, apart from "Heart-Shaped Box," and "All Apologies."

When you say the cello part is missing from "Dumb," you are talking about the 2013 Albini remix. The cello part is there in Albini's original mix.

In other words: there are two Albini mixes. The original, and the 2013 remix.

8. soniclovenoize

...if you jump to conclusions without evidence, sure.

GentleSenator and Cokelike- like this.
  9. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

The 2013 mix is by definition a remix. Albini mixed both the original (aside from 2 songs) and the entirety of the 2013 remix.

Cokelike- likes this.
  10. PlushFieldHarpy

The Albini version is listed as 2013 mix on the cover. Not "remix". Black cover.
    The remaster is listed as the Anniversary Edition. Normal cover.
    Why such distortions? And I'm getting tired of playing with the trolls.

11. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Nobody is trolling you. Based on what you have written it seems that you don't realize that there are two Albini mixes. Whether you know this or not, I can't say but that's the way you are coming off.

Cokelike- likes this.
  12. PlushFieldHarpy

So I'm "confused" by calling it what it's called on the cover? Sounds like someone is trying to make it sound like I am.

13. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

If you call it the 2013 Albini mix I think it would have confused less people as many think of the original mix when you say THE Albini mix.

I don't know why you think everyone is being antagonistic when they are trying to clarify something that it isn't clear if you understand. I'm not seeing any animosity.

Stormrider77 and Cokelike- like this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, I have it. Many of us do, I assume. It says 2013 Mix on the cover. You are right that it says that and that Albini mixed it.

Here’s what you don’t seem to grasp. Albini mixed the original album, too.

When you say “the Albini Mix” you are talking as if he only ever mixed it once. In fact, he mixed it twice. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

Cokelike- and George P like this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I suggest that everyone go put some version of In Utero on your stereo, turn it up loudly, and stop analyzing and arguing with each other.

It is art for crying out loud, just go appreciate it. There is no definitive mix or consensus.

16. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

If they had called it the "New Albini Mix" or the "2013 Remix", I don't think there would be nearly as much confusion.

Blame it on whoever's stupid idea it was to call it the "2013 Albini Mix", when there is a 2013 remaster of the original Albini mix right beside it.

Laservampire likes this.
  17. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

As I wrote in an earlier post, the 2013 mix was just a new mix to highlight stuff in the mix and for example unused parts like guitar solos. Check serve the servants, it has an earlier recorded solo that wasn't so good and wasn't used on original release. This 2013 mix is just a bonus for fans. Doesn't replace anything or correct anything or represent Kurts wishes or anything like that. This was all made clear during the PR stuff 5 years ago. Same type of deal as the Lennon Double Fantasy Stripped release, a bonus alternate view.

James Bennett likes this.
  18. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Steve Albini isn't an authority on anything. If anything, he is a lousy mix engineer who doesn't, or at least didn't, know how to mix low end - and he sure doesn't appear to actually like bass guitar, which seems strange. Certainly been dining out on Nirvana ever since, it's not like he received praise for his work on the Page & Plant or Stooges albums - quite the opposite.

19. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

If you think the only thing he has been "dining out on" is Nirvana you are kidding yourself.

20. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I dunno — I think the 2013 AAA vinyl remaster sounds amazing. Also think the Page and Plant sounds good. As does the Cloud Nothings record he did.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Exactly this.

Original 1993 CD: Albini's original 1993 mix of the album, with two songs replaced by Litt's remixes (Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies), and all mastered quite loud by Bob Ludwig

20th Anniversary 2-CD set, Disc 1 is a new remaster of the original 1993 mix (a bit less compressed and harsh), with the original 1993 Albini mixes of Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies tagged on at the end.

20th Anniversary 2-CD set, Disc 2 is a brand new mix done by Albini in 2013, representing a different way to listen to the album.

22. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

You know what's funny about Steve Albini, his approach to bass is exactly the same as Buck Owens records. It's true it's true.

radiofreedavis and Laservampire like this.
  23. Kerm

Kerm Forum Resident

There quite literally IS a definitive mix. It was released in 1994 and approved by all members of the band, especially their lead songwriter, Kurt Cobain. That is definitive. Today that is still the case. This definitive mix was remastered and is the first disc in the 2013 collection. This is “In Utero.”

This collection also included a NEWLY CREATED “reimagining” of the record, commissioned by Krist and done by Albini.

Krist Novoselic and Steve Albini Discuss Nirvana's 'In Utero" Reissue

The notion to offer an entirely new mix of In Utero came from Novoselic.​

"Y'know where I got the idea for it was listening to a Doors greatest-hits record," Novoselic says. "The Future Starts Now I think it's called? So, I'm listening to these Doors songs that I've heard my whole life and those songs were mixed in 1970, 1969. They just remixed them and, if you're a fan, you know what to listen for and you can hear things. That's what gave me the inspiration to think, 'Y'know, maybe we should do this with In Utero.' If the Doors can do it, we can do it."
    Again, I’m not being antagonistic and am certainly not trolling. I’m just clarifying quite real and definitive facts. Of course people can prefer this REMIX of the album. But it has literally nothing to do with what Kurt wanted and nobody, including those who commission and mixed it consider it definitive. It’s bonus content. As mentioned elsewhere in the interview. To move more units.

24. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I'm usually against redoing albums, and although I like the 2013 mix, I still prefer the original album, Scott Litt mixes included. There's no way you can go back to undo a decision the band made for whatever reasons.
    I find this very interesting:
    "Take, for instance, his pedantic rants while recording Nirvana. “Steve got into these big lectures,” says Bob Weston, Albini’s second engineer in the studio and the bass player for his band Shellac. “Kurt [Cobain] would say, ‘I want to do a guitar overdub,’ and Steve would explain to him for a half-hour why it wasn’t a good idea, using all these weird technical terms. And Kurt would say, ‘Well, that may be so, but I still want to do a guitar overdub.’ And Steve would explain to him again why he shouldn’t do it, and it would go back and forth. Steve does that a lot to bands. He figures that they hired him for his expertise and they like the way records that he’s done have sounded and he’s going to tell them what’s on his mind, but he’s really pedantic about it and really talks down to people, well below their level of intelligence. The last line of any of these lectures is always, ‘But you’re paying me, so I’ll do what you want. I have to put in my two cents because you’re hiring me.’ But his two cents turns out to be, you know, five hundred dollars.”
    That said, I like the 2013 mix. But it's additional material, like someone said. It doesn't replace the album at all.

Chris M likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes that is what I always thought. Just started reading this thread which looks an interesting read.

dobyblue and DTK like this.