No fan of Metal - or Metallica, but...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle Al, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member Thread Starter

A buddy of my son's left his portable CD folder at my house, and seeing Metallica's "Master of Puppets" (standard Elektra CD), I thought I would make a CD-R of it and find out why Steve would bother... aside from sales. I know enough to know that this was one of their earlier lp's when they were mostly cult favorites....

Well - I think it's great! Heavy rock, coupled with prog leanings - I never knew these guys could play!

Question: should I bury this copy for a DCC? Much improvement? Sounds a little thin on my copy - but I would invest in a better one.

2. Edge_88

Edge_88 New Member

I like Metallica i have like 20 of there cds i wish i had Master of Puppets DCC i saw it somewhere for 55 bucks

Attached Files:

3. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I have been a fan of Metallica since around 1984. I don't care much for Load/Reload, but I like everything else.

Whenever I see the ALWAYS negative remarks toward Metallica on this board, I get pissed off. But, I always hold my tongue because I am such a mellow dude. ;)

It is good to see a positive post about the Metallica DCC CDs. I think both of the discs are great. If you like Master of Puppets, you should find Steve's gold cd. You will be amazed by the difference. MUCH warmer sound. I even prefer it to my much played and worn out original LP...

You might even like "Ride the Lightning" which was their album just before "Master of Puppets". It has my favorite Metallica track "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and it is a fine album, too. It is not as solid from start to finish, but it has "higher highs" in my opinion.

Rock on!

Tony

4. Edge_88

Edge_88 New Member

heh not really to bring this up but people dissed one of my older post but i not saying.
    I like metallica yea ride the lighting a great cd i been lookin for the dcc of it .

5. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

I don't think that's quite accurate. I've said good stuff about Metallica in the past on this forum. I don't like the sound of AJFA, and I can't stand anything after the black album, but the early stuff was what I grew up on. The whole Napster ordeal, and a recent Jason interview have really colored my opinion of the band members for the worse, though. :mad:

I have both the DCC Metallicas. I passed on a used Lightning for $17, then years later paid $30 for it new. Dumb. Puppets was hard to find used, but I finally got one at a good price via ebay.

Getting back to Al's "I didn't know these guys could play" comment: the answer is a resounding YES. Hammett took guitar lessons from none other that Satriani. He's a Uli Jon Roth/Michael Schenker disciple. Hetfield is absolutely one of the finest rhythm players in metal. It's either him or Dave Mustaine (formerly of Metallica) as my #1 metal rhythm guitarist. I don't know if anyone can play more wicked, fast downstroked licks than Hetfield. Lars is (or was) a god on drums. And Cliff Burton is deservedly a legend on bass. His stamp is all over the two DCC titles.

Metal probably gets a bad rap for musiscal abilities. Simple fact is, most of these guys can PLAY. Marty Friedman, Dave Ellefson, Dave Lombardo, Alex Skolnick, Steve Harris...all great musicians.

If anyone ever wants to discuss hard rock, metal, and newer prog metal type bands, PLEASE post away!

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'll join in here if you don't mind.

I have never liked "metal", based on what I heard on the radio or saw on telly. It all seemed like such a con job - like hair bands with an attitude.

But I have a complete DCC Gold collection, many of which I haven't yet opened. That includes 2 Metallica albums. I never thought I would buy a single Metallica record, let alone two. I haven't opened "Master ..." but I bought "Ride the Lightning" used, so I played it last night.

I didn't know what to expect; yes I did, I expected loud boring 3-chord guitar thrash with speed lead on top, and useless vocals talking about childish things that I wouldn't be able to follow anyway.

Ah, preconceptions - away with them. They are mental chains we must break.

I was very surprised by "Ride the Lightning". As you say, these guys can really play, and there's light and shade, dynamics and energy, decent chord structures, some incredible lead guitar. I can't say I paid any attention to what they were talking about, but I did like the music. Much, much more than I had imagined.

I'm going to play this a few times so I get a little used to Metallica before I open "Master of Puppets". Perhaps I'll dig it right from the start.

One of the nice side-effects of following the "breath of life" has been the variety of music. Elvis, Nat King Cole, and now Metallica; with much more to go. I would not have bought these artists on a punt, but knowing that I was getting top sound, I figured it would be a musical education.

And so it is. Thank's to Steve and the folks at DCC for having such varied tastes.

Regards,
    Metralla

7. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Here's some help:

Fight Fire with Fire -- nuclear war
    Ride the Lightning -- capital punishment
    For Whom the Bell Tolls -- anti-war sentiment
    Fade to Black -- suicide
    Creeping Death -- Biblical ;)
    Master of Puppets -- cocaine, or maybe drug addiction in general
    Blackened -- destroying the planet
    Disposable Heroes -- anti-war sentiment
    One -- anti-war sentiment (see a pattern?)
    Dyers Eve -- overbearing parents
    Enter Sandman -- nightmares
    Don't Tread On Me -- patriotic, pro-war sentiment (huh?)
    Of Wolf and Man -- see the movie "Wolfen"

Have fun.

BTW, I thought people didn't buy stuff they weren't really interested in just because Steve mastered it (?). Didn't someone say that once? :rolleyes:

8. Mike

Mike New Member

OK! Let me be contrarian. I'm a metal fan from before Metallica was around and I like some of their songs. I also think For Whom The Bell Tolls is their best tune. But I won't buy a Metallica album (and yes I have listened to them) and the reason is Kirk Hammett. In my opinion the guy just can't play - totally annoying in every way. I have all the Schenker and Ulrich Roth from back in the day, in fact Schenker is one of my faves even to this day. I like Marty Friedman too if that is the guy who has been playing with Megadeth the past few years. (I'm pretty sure that's him)

On the plus side, I think Metallica's songwriting has been getting better over the years. Bob Rock taught them to cut to the quick and make their points in a more simple, direct fashion. I really like the the live version of Four Leaf Clover with the orchestra. But you will notice there is no guitar solo, just a guitar part. I also really liked the song with Marianne Faithful and the song from the MI soundtrack. But still, I don't consider Metallica in the same class as the great metal bands.

For nu metal I am impressed by the Disturbed album - first 5 or 6 songs. No guitar solos, but a very cool rhythmic sound heavy on the pounding tom toms in a very Peter Gabriel - Security era way. And they write good songs (at least the first half of the album) That's what it's all about in any genre of popular music, for my taste.

Did anyone hear the Metallica rap song is coming out soon? I kid you not. :D

If you want to check out some hard rock. here's a few to sample
    before buying more Metallica:

Black Sabbath - 1st 6 albums
    Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
    UFO - Phenomenom
    Scorpions - Lovedrive
    Trouble - Manic Frustration
    Love/Hate - Blackout In The Red Room
    Clutch - The Elephant Riders
    Monster Magnet - Dopes To Infinity

Anyone else want to list some of their faves?

9. Andy

Andy New Member

Why not?

10. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

correction

Ok,

...almost ALWAYS...:)

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My first experience with Metalica was in 1989 when a bunch of the guys I had to work with brought the "Kill "em All" CD and played it at full-screech on a cheap boombox played in a building with lots of hard, metal surfaces. It sounded like metal grinding together! I went home with earaches and vowed never to listen to that band again!

Then I heard "Enter Samdman" on MTV and decided they weren't so bad. Then I bought The "Black Album". I liked it. Then I bought the "Load" CD. Excellent! I did buy and then sell "reload", and thought the symphinic CD was over the top, But I can respect them now.

Maybe i'll give a listen to DCC's CD if I find a copy.

I'm done.

12. Mike

Mike New Member

That is the album when they hooked up with Bob Rock and became more mainstream.

I do respect Metallica, I just don't know why Kirk Hammett is in the band. And I can't wait to hear that rap tune! Maybe it will be good! It's sure to tick off a lot of people and that's cool - to shake things up.

13. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Interesting. I like his earlier lead work, and some parts of the black album. I'd rate the "Blackened" solo way, way up there -- one of my all time faves. The "One" solos are also excellent.

I don't like the direction he's taken for the last, oh, decade or so. Lots of wah, and more of a heavy blues vibe.

To this day, I still have not heard the original "Sails of Charon." I'd love to. I've heard Yngwie and Testament cover it. That riff just sticks with you and won't go away.

Yup, he started with "Rust in Peace" in '90 and left after the "Risk" album ('99) and was subsequently replaced by Al Pitrelli.

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

And Sad Wings of Destiny, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, etc etc etc.

Trouble - Manic Frustration

I don't have any Trouble, but I have Supershine (Doug Pinnick + 2 members of Trouble) and I love it.

Megadeth -- Rust in Peace; so far, so good, so what?; Peace Sells
    Iron Maiden -- Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Live after Death
    Death Angel -- Act III
    Slayer -- Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Regarding my DCC Gold collection, the bulk of which I've not yet listened to:
    I just counted the open ones, the ones I've heard - 33.

I just bought them too fast to get around to listening to them. But I sure have a lot to look forward to, don't I. Hey, when I was a kid and we'd get those giant chocolate eggs for Easter, I'd spin mine out over a couple of months; a little treat each day.

So when I read a discussion here over a DCC Gold I haven't heard, I'll dig it out and have a listen. No hurry; they're not going anywhere. Maybe by the time I've heard them all, DCC will be back in action.

Regards,
    Metralla

15. Mike

Mike New Member

Supershine? Doug Pinnick and Trouble? Woah! I'm there! Thanks!

Manic Frustration is out of print. I recently found out about these guys and picked up the cd and said: damn these guys should have been bigger! Produced by Rick Rubin btw. I'm going pick up something else by them soon. MF sells for 5 to 20 on ebay, so if you check it out don't pay too much. AMG calls Trouble's guitar players: "the top lead guitar tag team in doom metal history". Maybe that got your attention. :D

Sails of Charon - that's definitely a good one! Glad to hear people are covering it. The album Taken By Force was out of print and selling for big bucks on ebay for awhile, but it has been reissued in the UK or Germany. But a better bet is probably the out of print "Best of Scorpions" from RCA in the US. It collects mostly all of the killer Ulrich Roth era songs on one handy disc. I don't know what that sells for on ebay or half.com, but definitely worth tracking down.

16. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

17. Mike

Mike New Member

Thanks! I know davesmetal - very nice guy. Once I bought 3 cd's from him and never received them. I sent him a form from the post office and he sent me another set of cd's (Renaissance Records stuff - the company is apparently out of business so everything is oop) - now that's a good seller. I noticed he changed his lost shipment policy though. Thanks again - I am definitely going to check out Supershine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.