Nobody (2021) Starring Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd,

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheVU, Mar 28, 2021.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Aside.

Perfect .. up to the last action piece ..assault.

ex_mixer likes this.
  2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And the Bob Odenkirk interview on Jimmy Kimmel is just as priceless and memorable.

The guy's got a great sense of humor.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought it was a perfect movie. The best part was when they tried to kill his dad and the old man unleashed hell on their asses lol.

RSteven, polchik, ex_mixer and 2 others like this.
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Saw this last night. I'm in the good not great camp.

5. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Same here. It was fine, but kind of unmemorable. Personally I'm tired of movies where the protagonist is an unstoppable killing machine. Once you realize that's what's going on there's not a whole lot of mystery left as to the outcome.

altaeria and RayS like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I prefer those movies where the protagonist is a dancin' machine or a bad mama jama.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I really don't think that's the case. The reason the bus fight was so enjoyable was that he got as good as he gave and came out of it hurting. The thugs were used to bullying people who couldn't fight back, so they never had to become particularly skilled.

Vidiot, RSteven, enro99 and 4 others like this.
  8. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Meh...

Far too many tricky cut scenes at the top, which I found heavy handed. And the overall pacing was a bit disjointed. Somehow I didnt get the ass kicking joy out of this one, no matter how hard the filmakers were telling me to care.

Me thinks the director could use a serious Tarantino revenge film primer.

My vote: good on an airplane.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Just watched this ....
    Anybody else get the feeling that after all those years, Bob just wanted to be 'Mike' from "BB" & "BCS"...once...?

10. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

I was hoping for something better, subtler and smarter from Odenkirk. "Unassuming family man who used to be a master killer" has been done to death. Typically way over the top action scenes, both hand-to-hand and with weaponry, with a ridiculous body count and "special/unusual" death for the villain.

RayS likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Time for a re-watch!

RSteven and MartyTem like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes he does! the Mr. Show years were great.... been a fan since then.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bus scene was the best bit, also was impressed with the villian( think he was in Banshee tv series)… final end scene .. father / friend helping him out, seemed a tad predictable.
    7.5/10. My real concern from BCS actor .. Odenkirk, was that he trained to hard for the film.. believe maybe the strain led to his heartache, later.

14. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

This is my favorite movie ever.

RSteven, Chris DeVoe and MartyTem like this.
  15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I liked it. It did seem like a kind of overt parody of John Wick to me. Christopher Lloyd was definitely the scene stealer and had the best lines.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

When he found the 'kitty bracelet'!...hilarious!

17. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

If it wasn’t for Odenkirk I’d hate this movie. With him its it’s just a big meh.
    American Beauty meets John Wick. Over half a movie of boring headshots and leaving opponents as bags of spurting gurgling blood is mind numbing. Leads who can’t miss or be hit from feet away makes things really boring.
    The American ice queen wife thawed finally. A mix of “I miss you” and knife wounds worked wonders.

18. Chris DeVoe

It was a midlife crisis with a body count.

RSteven and mr. steak like this.
  19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

That's just what I was thinking as well. That's what made it so realistic. This is not "Batman" where he rarely gets a scratch. Also, the beginning where he holds off whacking that girl thief with a golf club showed restraint and gave the movie it's initial view of Bob as a scared person not able to protect his family.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Christopher Lloyd's character reminded me of Terry Pratchett's "Cohen the Barbarian", the geriatric barbarian warrior.

His opponents would always underestimate him because he was a very old man... without stopping the wonder how he managed to become a very old man in one of the most violent professions.

RSteven likes this.
  21. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

I felt the same way about Nobody as I did about Pig: They were fine, but nothing I haven't seen before, and nothing to really make them stand out. Just a very linear path from beginning to end with no interesting or unique story elements.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Harry was his brother

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

OTT, but good

Still wondering why the
    bus driver opened the door
    for the thugs, rather than
    drive away.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, the bus scene was genius work -- the highlight of the movie for me. I was a little disappointed they didn't top it later on, but I thought the movie was good... maybe not great, but it had some interesting moments.

In the promotion for the final season of Better Call Saul, Odenkirk said that the doctors told him that because he trained so hard, he was in "great shape" and the heart attack didn't kill him. He said his arterial blockage -- called by cardiologists "The Widowmaker" -- was serious and he was lucky to not drop dead, and that his system recovered quickly and he went back to work in a few weeks.

RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Watched it last night. Great fun.

Vidiot, RSteven, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.