Non Keith Moon drummer on Who By Numbers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Pete quoted on Wikipedia, source given as Grantley, S. & Parker, A.G. (2010). The Who by Numbers. Helter Skelter. pp. 138–150. ISBN 9781905139262.

The Who by Numbers - Wikipedia

"Recording the album seemed to take me nowhere. Roger [Daltrey] was angry with the world at the time. Keith [Moon] seemed as impetuous as ever, on the wagon one minute, off the next. John [Entwistle] was obviously gathering strength throughout the whole period; the great thing about it was he seemed to know we were going to need him more than ever before in the coming year"

An odd thing to say if Keith was not present.

Tim

2. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I think if The Who needed a drummer for a specific session, that drummer would not been chosen by Keith Moon himself. I think that Pete or John maybe would have chosen a drummer.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

This kinda stuff happens all the time. I mean, if the record is being recorded in London and the drummer is living in L.A. and the band decides they need one more drum fill to complete a song in final mixing... why fly the drummer back in from L.A. when someone local can do it?

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Slip Kid, at least to my ears, does not sound like Keith Moon.

J_D__ likes this.
  5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The looped percussion at the start doesn't, but that first proper cymbal crash and onwards is unmistakable Moon to me.

Herman Schultz, mw1917 and izgoblin like this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And the percussion of course is from the demo.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's not denial to point out that the facts do not support Nigel Olsson's claims. There is no evidence that Moon was replaced on any part of the By Numbers album, and there are lots of reasons why this claim is implausible.

lukpac, Herman Schultz, 2141 and 6 others like this.
  8. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Gave a spin to my copy of ..By Numbers:
    There's a lot of hi hat on this album,not the usual Crash/Ride cymbal moon stuff,some songs sound like two drummers sometimes,one keeping the beat on the snare and Hi hat and some typical moon tom rolls here and there,maybe there's a bit of that?
    Could be Moon as well on the hi hat; sounds closed(no pedal used)like in Who Are You.
    WHO knows?:)

9. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Not to be a contrarian but I remember reading in a couple different Who biographies that Glyn Johns really discouraged Moon from (over)using his cymbals. I think Glyn may have actually limited Moon to just one crash cymbal and one ride cymbal when recording.

10. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I agree,it could be Moon all the way.

11. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Yeah, how bogus is that!

12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

You know that's a great story. It would be even better if there was any truth to it.

An unnamed hardcore fan from 1979 is hardly a reliable source.

Now if you made up a similar story for Who Are You album from 1978, & added a sincere sounding detail like " Moon only played on 2 tracks" because ________(fill in blank)

Illness
    Drugs
    Passport
    Arrested in Soviet Union
    Bermuda Triangle
    Really died in 1972

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Autism maybe? I was reading an interview with Daltrey where he said that Moonie was "slightly autistic". Of course, Mr Daltrey is not a qualified psychiatrist, but perhaps it could explain why Moonie was not very capable of playing on demand in the studio.

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I prefer anyone's drumming to Kenney Jones effort!

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, now you gone and done it...breaking @Baba Oh Really 's heart like that...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

....and the show was delayed by a day, due to Keith not feeling too well. I was there too. From where I was sitting I wouldn't have picked up on a pre-recorded drum part......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.