‘Northern Exposure’ Revival Starring Rob Morrow In Works At CBS From Original Series Creators, Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not the point - they threw it away, now they're running back into the alley to see where they threw it. Like Magnum, Murphy, MacGyver, Hawaii 5-0...

Solaris likes this.
  2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

That's a pretty cynical outlook, I see it as a proven quality product. Why would you not want more? Maybe it'll work and maybe it won't, but it has a headstart...

3. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The only running plotline throughout the show was Joel and Maggie. No way she is dead and Rob's tweet is the capper. Loved this show in its original run. I was thinking of replaying all of it again. I will be there to check it out.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes, the same thing we always want: originality. You know, that thing where you don't keep doing the same old thing because somebody on the Board remembers it working way back when (but somehow can't recall why it was canceled in the first place)?
    Tell me, how were the ratings on Northern Exposure Season Six, after Dr. Joel walked through the dimensional opening back to New York, Chigliak went to film school, Peg died, and Janine Turner became a Conservative media figurehead?

The thing Northern Exposure going for it in spades was originality. The one thing CBS does not...is the same thing. Eighteen years of night after night of police procedurals named after the same anagrams will do that to ya.

Waiting for the Gilligan's Island reboot in 3...2...

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  5. dirwuf

Yeah, the series lost steam when Morrow and the orignal showrunners were ready to move on....but for whatever reason, they are going to give it another go and I don't see the harm. Between networks, cable, streaming, etc, there has never been a more varied palette of quality television...now year-round. So why not let some names from yesteryear give the people what they want? These revivals usually do only 13 episode seasons, so there will still be plenty of time for new series....think of them as taking the place of reruns.

wayne66 and kevywevy like this.
  6. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

This is a great prompt to start a full re-watch. Probably my favourite show of all time. Hopefully Chris is back as he was my favourite character. And Marilyn too...and Walt....and Shelly....and Dave...and Ed....and Bernard.

Very exciting news. I hope the quality of the initial run is maintained. As many has said there was a drop off after Joel left the show but, at its best, it was a total blast.

carrick doone likes this.
  7. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

My two dogs are called Cicily and Juno. :)

8. dirwuf

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I still have all my VHS tapes that I recorded off TV.

I proposed to my (now) wife during the episode where Marilyn goes on the trip to Seattle.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I will agree that the only constant was the bickering of Joel and Maggie. There was chemistry there.
    Many of the secondary characters had run their course..........the young woman/old husband was Ok but that was obviously not a long road. They ran Ed into the ground with his visions and dreams. The rich guy never had any inreresting plotlines, IMO Joel's native American asst was really annoying and her storyline was uninteresting. That leaves the dj. And, my favorite, the couple in the wilderness--the woman who looked like an 1870 schoolteacher and the husband in the stocking cap who always had a Don Rickles insult for Joel.

The original writers may be able to find a slew of quirky characters, but giving them too much air time will leave me disappointed, like I did the first time around.

I think what needles me at this point is Joel's departure was handled so well, so totally surreal and Twin Peaks-ish, yet so emotional. Now they're picking up the threads again. I had closure, but now...........

11. Hope so.
    Really enjoyed this back in the early 90's.

12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My only fear would be that they try to cram too much 90s style zaniness into one stand alone episode.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Although he’s still acting, I’m guessing John Cullum (Holling) might not want a big commitment to a tv series at age 88, so it may be his character whose funeral brings Joel back there. Barry Corbin (Maurice) is pushing 80 as well.

14. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I keep asking why Northern Exposure is not available to stream from anywhere.

poe_man and carrick doone like this.
  15. dirwuf

Music rights

16. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I just bought this, seems to be slipping in and out of stock very quickly. I just paid £78 with shipping about a week ago.

17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

18. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Just hope Shelley is back. I found her way hotter and sexier than Maggie.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great show. I hope it works out.

20. Not against this (in the slightest), but hasn't CBS been doing more reboots than just about any other broadcast network in recent years?

Though I guess NBC and ABC have each had one (each), or have there been more?

21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

That is sad for Mr. Falsey was a youngish man. It apparently was just a fall and he hit his head. I'm hoping they will continue on with the show but it has to be a major setback. He was coming in as executive producer.

22. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Apparently he was not involved in the series return, his title was in name only.

23. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

The real - life Janine Turner, who I (and probably everybody else) loved as Maggie, has soured me on revisiting the original series as well as this planned reboot. I know - like we do with Sinatra - we should be able to separate the artist from the art. But it sometimes gets hard -

Gems-A-Bems and somnar like this.
  24. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Just watched S01E01 off the Blu-ray. Looks fantastic! I hope they do bring the series back .. it was one of the best from the 90s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.