NOS (New Old Stock) and current production Vaccum Tube - Valve Seller Recommendations for SH Forums*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for NOS tubes for my Mcintosh MC240, who do you recommend for buying authentic tubes?

MGW likes this.
  2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've asked the moderators to sticky this thread and change the thread title to include current production tubes.

People, you are the experts. Tell us where to shop safely.

I have a few trusted sellers but it has been a while since I've needed to shop for tubes (a long while, actually).

So, help us out. Who is good in the USA? Who can be trusted? Who has the best stock? And so on.

Realize that a trustworthy tube/valve seller is going to have higher prices than some dude on eBay.

HELP US OUT, TUBE NUTS!!

4. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I do shopping at Evay from dealers with positive rating and return offer.

I paid 65$ for pair of Raytheon Vt231(6n7) tubes made in 1940''s.

It was the best bargain with excellent sound.

It could be hit or miss but it is fun.

Another thing is that during dispute Ebay tend to be on buyer's side.

5. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Madlove, Jvalvano and apesfan like this.
  6. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

thanks for translating and communicating much better than me!

Three quid likes this.
  7. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

And the rest of the world, please!

Garthb likes this.
  8. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

DrZhivago and MGW like this.
  9. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

10. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Just got another set of tubes for my monoblocks from Antique Electronics in Phoenix. They are pleasant to deal with, have modern and NOS stock, and are now back open. Their will call system leaves a lot to be desired; better to use mail.
    Antique Electronic Supply

SteevG and GLYNSTYLER like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Antique Electronic Supply. I thought they were in Tempe? In the 1990s we dropped $3,000 with them and got in return hundreds and hundreds of priceless NOS vacuum tube types. I'm surprised they have anything left..

fortherecord likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

I've bought some tubes on eBay recently, now that I think about it. My Philips rectifiers, some bunches of 6U8's, my Amperex "Bugle Boy" tubes (7119 and ECC82) for my Audio Note Jinro..)

It's important to do your research when you buy tubes on eBay. Only certain sellers can be really trusted. Find out who those are, count positive feedbacks, read fine print, etc. Make sure the tubes are TESTED properly. You know, common sense..

My Dutch Bugle Boy 7119 (Peter Q.'s favorite for the Jinro) cost me 24$ on eBay, NOS, tested. Still working fine. So eBay is not the devil, just do your homework..

13. Steve Hoffman

Does UPSCALE AUDIO still sell tubes? I would assume so. Kevin Deal can be trusted and he hears the tonal differences in tube brands the same as I do, almost exactly.

TUBE DEPOT still around?

mds, hi_watt, noladaoh and 4 others like this.
  14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

15. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

hi_watt likes this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Jim McShane all the way - never had any issues with his tubes.

Jim McShane Home Page

My first encounter with Jim - 6-8 years ago - I had a buzzing microphonic issue driving me nuts - I tracked it down to my EH driver tubes - Jim recommended some GE NOS that he personally tested - they solved the issue. I've been a loyal customer ever since.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Henley, tnsmnichols and grx8 like this.
  17. AudioAddict

Tempe is right next to Phoenix -- about 2 miles from my winter place. Have checked their prices and they seem very competitive. A set of matched 300Bs (Gold Lion) Mullard GZ34s and Tung-Sol 6sn7s was less than $400 shipped. They've got a 10% sale on right now.
    BUT THEN, they really don't seem to like local traffic. Went there the first two times to pick up orders and it was not so much frosty as downright bitter (LOL).

18. Steve Hoffman

I must have called there a hundred times. Poor guy in the back, we had him search for what we wanted, sometimes had him read off tube brands, look at dates, etc. Never complained. They didn't have much in the way of international tubes but man, they had every North American tube type going back to the 1930s. Still in original boxes, containers. We bought everything good, RCA 5U4's in original RCA shipping cartons, 12BH7's 12AU7's, 6922s, great stuff and I'm sure they still have some good stuff...

fortherecord and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. AudioAddict

They just had a 25% off sale for NOS tubes so, maybe, they have a bunch lying around. Am new to the tube world and do not know a lot so am just buying new tubes that are reviewed well. The Gold Lions seem slightly better to my ears than the (old) JJ Teslas they replaced but the JJs have better bass fullness.
    Have looked at the thread describing your $140,000 amp and congratulate you on what must be a life changing experience. Hope you are keeping the kids to their lava lamp (now one of those I could buy...)

20. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

21. Steve Hoffman

thanks. Remember, it's not my system, just a generous loan from Audio Note UK.

I can say that I have a current make VAC amplifier that has all new GOLD LION 6550s (made in Russia) and TUNG-SOL 6SN7's (also made in the former USSR) and it sounds damn good. These tubes have to be a lot less expensive than NOS. But, matched is important in power tubes. Also remember, as tubes age, their matching starts changing so don't overpay for matched tubes. Ain't worth it. Just in the ballpark will do. And don't cryo your tubes..

Over to y'all!

showtaper likes this.
  22. AudioAddict

Thank you el mucho.
    Want to pass along my thanks for your site. Those of us just getting back into vinyl and tubes benefit tremendously from the knowledge and information your site makes available. Bill Hart's recent thread Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records is an example of the site working for all concerned -- and you to be praised for making this a reality. So please know that your expertise and skill is appreciated.

23. Steve Hoffman

Thank you very much. The goal is to make our hobby fun and fulfulling (and to not get ripped off..)

24. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I’ve had good experiences buying new tubes from Upscale Audio. Tube Depot was hit and miss for me and I quit buying from them after I received a microphonic tube in an order and was out of pocket shipping it back to them to get a replacement.

fortherecord and Steve Hoffman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.