[NRBQ] A "Big Al" Anderson Wild Weekend June 25-June 27

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

This sounds like it will be a great celebration of NRBQ's 40th anniversary. Hopefully, Terry Adams and Tommy Ardolino will be able to make it. The Iron Horse, in Northampton, MA is a wonderful venue. Every seat (only about 200) is a good one!

http://www.iheg.com/schedules_main.asp

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I wish I could be there!:cheers:

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

wow! my man Big Al-gotta see if I can get there. thanks for the headsup

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Wow. What a concert this'll be.

What happened to NRBQ?

They broke up, obviously, but why, oh why?

I've seen Terry and Tom in concert -- wonderful. Terry's band is GREAT, even if they are ringers for the Q. I'm seeing The Spampinato Brothers in a couple of weeks.

This world *NEEDS* NRBQ.

5. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

It's good news that they are doing the reunion shows again this year.

If the clips on youtube are any indication, Joey Spampinato plays in a group called Link Montana & the Rough Riders these days.

Btw, has someone of you audiophiles on this board listened to "Big Al"'s most recent solo album "Pawn Shop Guitars"? Musically, it's pretty good, but they must have done something wrong in either mixing or mastering because it sounds pretty flat and a lot seems to get lost in the mix. Did that happen in mixing or mastering?

6. Mike Dow

Technically, they aren't billing these shows as an NRBQ reunion. So far, there has been no mention of Terry Adams or Tommy Ardolino taking part though I certainly hope they will be there. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend these shows but it sure is a good feeling to know they are happening.

As for "Pawn Shop Guitars", I think you are hearing lots of compression and limiting in the mastering. It's a very compressed record which is a shame because the songs and musicianship are so good. It sure would be nice to hear it with the dynamics intact.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My only problem with Al's recent solo album is that the band he uses (The Balls --- yuk, yuk) is so similar in style to NRBQ -- but obviously not as good as NRBQ -- that it's ridiculous. Terry's band is also very similar to the Q, stylistically.

I repeat: Why did NRBQ break up? It's hard for me to fathom ...

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Nice to see Fergie on the bill. How's his health been?

9. Mike Dow

I don't think any of them have actually come out to say "we broke up because ...." I also don't know if they have formally broken up, they just haven't played regularly since 2004. As for the reasons, this is only speculation but I think dragging themselves around the country playing to increasingly shrinking crowds in bars and clubs for little money might have had something to do with it. In a way, their fan base took them for granted. Though they may have still loved "The Q", the band was "always there."

On Bob Brainen's WFMU radio show, Terry answered the question by saying something like (I'm paraphrasing), "it was about commitment" and suggesting that part of the band was no longer committed.

The two reunion shows in 2007 showed the band that there is a lot of love for them and I was hoping it would lead to an annual event.

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I saw NRBQ about six months before the "hiatus", and they were just as wonderful as ever, though the crowd was sparse. There have been a lot of rumors and speculation as to why they haven't played together in recent years, from Terry Adams being treated for tendonitis, to differences in opinion about politics among the band members. The 40th anniversary this year seemed like a good time to put it all behind them and fire up the engine again, but who knows if it'll happen. They did give us all a good long chance at seeing and hearing them, though. I dunno if we can really ask for any more.

I do know that Terry Adams has put out a bunch of cool albums over the last couple of years that shouldn't be missed.

11. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Thanks for the heads up! Gosh - what a great way to start the summer. I soooooo want to go to one of these shows. I sure hope Steve Ferguson is feeling well enough for it to be enjoyable for him. Man, do I want to go to this!
    ------- Chris

12. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

Terry has a gig here in Louisville with Tom Staley that same weekend. I would think it's on his website. I'm looking forward to it as Tom and myself have recently issued a few CDs under the "Thenceforward" moniker. Shameless plug. Why not?

Rick Harper

13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

i am happy to see these guys are playing together and hope all 3 shows sell out. i am a huge Q fan (typing this message while wearing a Wildweeds t-shirt), but tickets are way too expensive for me to afford.

14. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

Ughh. Shameless. :wave:

www.thenceforward.org
    www.tomstaleytoday.com
    www.rickenharper.com

15. Mike Dow

The shows have turned into a tribute to Steve Ferguson. It breaks my heart to read that his health has taken a turn for the worse.

[​IMG]

Tribute to NRBQ's
    Steve Ferguson
    featuring Al Anderson,
    Frankie Gadler, Joey Spampinato, Johnny Spampinato and other musical guests...

Opening sets by The Spampinato Brothers,
    plus opener Robbie Fulks on Sat. June 27th

Live at the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton, MA
    Thursday, June 25th • 7:00 PM
    Friday, June 26th • 7:00 PM
    Saturday, June 27th • 7:00 PM

Al Anderson, Frankie Gadler, Joey Spampinato, and Johnny Spampinato, along with other special guests from NRBQ's colorful past will play a one-of-a-kind three-night engagement in honor of original NRBQ member Steve Ferguson, whose illness has taken a turn for the worse. NRBQ formed in1967 in Miami but eventually migrated to the Northeast where they became a vital part of the New England music scenes of the 70s and 80s. Their live shows were notoriously great, their fans loyal, their set lists non-existent. Original guitarist Steve Ferguson, and lead singer Frank Gadler were with the band for their genre bending Columbia Records debut in 1969, as well as their second, Boppin' The Blues (with Carl Perkins), Scraps, and finally Workshop. Al Anderson came on board for Scraps, Joey Spampinato has been in since the first note, and his brother Johnny Spampinato joined the band when Al left in 1994. The Spampinato Brothers will open the Thursday and Friday shows. Delightful American alternative country artist Robbie Fulks opens on Saturday. Join us for 40 years of great music by NRBQ and beyond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.