NY Area members: Spectacular Sci-Fi Film Festival Sept. 10 in Suffern NY

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

The Lafayette Theater in Suffern NY is holding another festival. Check out the web site for details and to view some nice collectibles. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Linda Harrison from Planet of the Apes will make in-person appearances.

The theater has been completely restored to 1930's era opulence, complete with a pipe organ.

Attached Files:

2. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Planning on seeing at least '2001'. It will be nice to see this film again on a large screen. Too bad that the theater doesn't have the ability to show the 70mm print. It will be the road show presentation with entrance music, exit music and intermission.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Yeah, bummer, but it still is the big screen, but like you I'm looking forward to seeing this as a film. Maybe I'll see you there, although a more appropriate forum meeting would be The Day The Earth Stood Still!

4. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I'm going to the Sat. showing of "Forbidden Planet" & "Shrinking Man."
    I fell in love with that theatre during the 3-D fest. I went back to see "Modern Times" "Wizard of Oz" and "The Last Laugh."

5. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

This was posted on another web site that I frequent called Cinema Treasures about the showing of '2001' in 35 mm at the Lafayette Theater.

No, we don't currently have 70mm capability at the Lafayette, but we do have excellent 35mm with DTS Digital stereo and Dolby SR analog stereo sound. 70mm is something we're considering, but the costs are rather high for the few prints we could get to run.

Pete Apruzzese
    Director of Film Programming
    Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.