Obama's List of Favorite Movies of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Socrates, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Socrates

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Bummed that Tarentino's "Hollywood" didn't make his list!

Socrates, VU Master and Ghostworld like this.
  4. I binged Unbelievable last week. Very good.

Socrates and forthlin like this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

ssmith3046 and Socrates like this.
  7. Socrates

If people don't understand that Robert De Niro kicking somebody's face in isn't "real cinema," then I don't even know what their problem is. Of course it's real cinema! It's Robert De Niro kicking somebody's face in. What more do you need to know?

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. Socrates

Remember that Robert Klein thing, "I can't stop my leg"? Now it's Robert De Niro's " I can't stop kicking your teeth in." There's no Iron Man or Scarlet Witch involved. This is "real cinema." This is Robert De Niro kicking your teeth in over and over again. If you don't get it then I don't know what your problem is. This is Robert De Niro with his foot in your mouth, and this is "real cinema." Nothing else is. Kick it again, right in the teeth. No superheros are needed when Robert De Niro is there to kick somebody's fing teeth in. And of course that's real cinema. You shouldn't even have to ask if that's real cinema. It's Robert De Niro kicking somebody's teeth in. What more do you need to know?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

You mean digitally enhanced 70-something-yr-old RDN channeling his inner gangster in front of the cameras for the umpteenth time, reliving his glory days in front of the cameras? It's real something. I guess you could call it cinema.

Scott222C, 0ne.eight, rod and 2 others like this.
  10. Socrates

Are you kidding me right now? It's the only "real" thing about movies! The old guys are always writing about the mob, the movie directors are, the songwriters are, they can't help it, that's "real" to them.

The old masters probably don't even realize that the younger masters don't write about the mob anymore.

Then, suddenly, in a startling artistic move, to finally spite the dude on the internet, Taylor Swift releases her 8th album, and the title of it is: "Robert De Niro Kicks Some Dude's Face In."

And then Robert De Niro launches his own non-comedy tour, in the spirit of Robert Kline's " I Can't Stop My Leg," and it's Robert De Niro, on the improve circuit, literally pulling dudes out of the audience, one-by-one, and kicking their faces in. And old dudes everywhere rejoice, cheering, "this is real!" And then they cheer again when every scene of 'Meet The Fockers part 25' is Robert De Niro kicking dude's faces in. Picture a scene, where it's Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller setting up the premise for some comedy-gold, and then there's a knock on the door, and it's the Fed Ex guy or something, and Robert Dr Niro hauls him inside, and just starts kicking his face in.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope Obama starts an obloga.

Socrates likes this.
  12. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Does he wear those ridiculous lifts when he's kicking someone's face in? :p

[​IMG]

13. misterjones

I already was not inclined to watch the Irishman (and I can see the movie for free - yes, legally). You’re not helping! Maybe DeNiro needs to threaten to kick my face in. Hey Bob, where can I get a pair of those stylish platforms? The Humphrey Bogart store?

14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Odd that "Richard Jewell" didn't make it onto the list...LOL.

Karnak, GreenDrazi and GregM like this.
  15. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Kicking faces in, now that's entertainment!

[​IMG]

Socrates and GreenDrazi like this.
  16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

First movie that came to mind when I saw the thread title is Queen & Slim. I haven’t seen it, though.

Socrates likes this.
  17. misterjones

Someone needs to post the scene from Goodfellas where Pesci and DeNiro kick that guy’s face in in the bar. Scorsese at his finest! Acting! Brilliant! Thank you!

Socrates likes this.
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I saw a still from a Clint Eastwood movie set, and his love interest [sic?] was walking on a path of milk cartons so that she was reasonably within talking distance of the much taller Eastwood.

Socrates and misterjones like this.
  19. misterjones

DeNiro at his best at about the 3:30 mark. They need a special Oscar category for best mobster facial expression while kicking, punching or whacking.

Socrates likes this.
  20. misterjones

I think that heavy-handed mobster stuff disappeared in the 1990s. At least it did in New York at about the time Giuliani cleaned up the public wholesale markets and trade waste industry. (I mean, I can't remember the last decent mob hit they had around here.) Unlike when some of the earlier movies like The Godfather were made, it's now something of an historical curiosity. Breaking Bad-type scenarios are more current.

Socrates likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife is a huge Obama fan, sees more than 700 films a year...and she didn't like some of his picks. Hated a couple.

Ghostworld and Socrates like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

The FBI crushed the Mob with good old-fashioned police work.

Sadly, all the Mobsters were replaced by corporate types, and they're worse.

23. misterjones

True. I asked someone many years ago in the wholesale market regulation biz what the mobsters were doing these days (since they no longer were strong-arming food sellers/retailers, shaking down garment district truckers, stealing cargo at JFK airport, etc.), and he said something about stock market shenanigans. Nice, white-collar stuff. No more traditional wise guys, I guess.

Socrates and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

If I were given a choice between a few mobsters pulling down a few hundred K a year and merchant bankers getting million dollar bonuses, I think I'd rather have the wise guys back.

Socrates likes this.
  25. Socrates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.