Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych Round Table Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Whenever I get my high-speed internet connection (which should be the 27th!!) I hope that Outsiders clip will still be on YouTube--I'd love to see it.

2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Unfortunately they're just miming to it, Alison, but it was still cool for me to see actual moving figures as opposed to still photographs.
    Their stuff is amazing.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

OK, here's the track list for the new EMI "Insane Times" compilation:

1. Song For Insane Times (2003 Digital Remaster) - Kevin Ayers
    2. Dandelion Seeds (single version) (2007 Digital Remaster) - July
    3. Real Life Permanent Dream (1999 Digital Remaster) - Tomorrow
    4. Hold On (2007 Digital Remaster) - Ipsissimus
    5. Strange Walking Man (1998 Digital Remaster) - The Mandrake Paddle Steamer
    6. Towards The Skies (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Gods
    7. Model Village (2007 Digital Remaster) - Penny Peeps
    8. The Dog Presides (2007 Digital Remaster) - Paul Jones
    9. Hurry Up John (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Idle Race
    10. Last Cloud Home (2007 Digital Remaster) - Orange Bicycle
    11. Is It Love? (2007 Digital Remaster) - Jon
    12. Nightmare In Red (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Brain
    13. The Equestrian Statue (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
    14. Sun Sing (2007 Digital Remaster) - Rainbow Ffolly
    15. Castle In The Sky - Simon Dupree & The Big Sound
    16. Monday Morning (1998 Digital Remaster) - Tales Of Justine
    17. Mr Commuter (2007 Digital Remaster) - Mike Proctor
    18. All The World Is Love (1998 Digital Remaster) - The Hollies
    19. World Of You (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Aerovons
    20. William Chalker's Time Machine (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Lemon Tree
    21. World Spinning Sadly (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Parking Lot
    22. Please Leave My Mind (2007 Digital Remaster) - Herbal Mixture
    23. Barricades (2007 Digital Remaster) - The Koobas
    24. Think About It (2002 Digital Remaster) - The Yardbirds
    25. No Good Trying (1993 Digital Remaster) - Syd Barrett

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just had a listen to this one off the iTunes store. I'm a bit wary that it says "2007 Digital Remaster" and it sounds identical to the NR'd Back To The Story version. This doesn't spell good things for the Idle Race boxset.... :shake:

5. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Is it just me or does anyone else think that George Gallagher and Andi Mulvey sound very similar? Until I actually read their biography in Urban Spacemen and Wayfaring Strangers, I thought it was the same singer on all their records.

6. oldgoat

oldgoat Forum Resident

I have "Lying All the Time" bookmarked as a favorite but it is the only clip I have been able to find. It is real cool to watch them perform, albeit the fact that they are lip-synching. Ugly Things #16 which came out about ten years ago had interviews with Wally Tax and Ronald Splinter. Both interviews are posted here http://www.popfloor.com/outsider/articles.html

Not much information published on them that I can find.

7. Clarkophile

Thank you!:righton:

8. Clarkophile

Thanks to recommendations made on this thread, I just took delivery of the Fallen Angels' The Roulette Masters Part 2.
    My thanks to Rene, Alison, and everyone else.:righton:

9. child of nature

I hope you enjoy it! Looking forward to reading your opinion.

Anyone else here familiar with the UK band High Tide (besides Jeff, who I know is! :p )? Very interesting; electric guitar and electric violin, with a lead singer (who is also the guitarist) who sounds very much like Jim Morrison--quite an eerie similarity. The album is Sea Shanties, and it's very heavy psych. Tony Hill, previously of the Misunderstood, is the singer/guitarist.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Local record store got in a German reissue of Sweet Smoke, and the dude won't sell it, he thinks the cover is too cool (which it is). Oh well, the disc's pretty trashed, and has a bar code, so another copy shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Still, if you ain't gonna sell it, don't ask me to come look! He won't even let the Dutch Focus album go. :sigh:

11. glea

glea Forum Resident

Simon House the violin player toured with Bowie on the Low/Heros tour! Also played with H'wind. I have both of these albums, and they are ok, but nowhere near as good as Tony Hill's work with Misunderstood.

12. oldgoat

oldgoat Forum Resident

The nerve!! How do they expect to make money if they won't sell the good stuff. :eek:

While perhaps straying a bit from the thread, I love Focus and have all of their early albums. My favorite is Focus 3.

13. child of nature

Recommendation Time:

For those of you interested in international psych, I can't say enough about the Chilean band Los Mac's and their album Kaleidoscope Men! Well-crafted songs, studio experimentation with limited resources--it's all here. Fans of UK psych in particular will enjoy this album; it's obvious influence is Sgt. Pepper/"Strawberry Fields Forever." The songs are mainly sung in English, though some are in Spanish. The more I listen to the album, the more I enjoy it, and the more there is to discover. Here is a link to more information about the band--an interview with member Willy Morales:

http://60spunk.m78.com/losmacs.html

14. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Just curious - for one of the songs on The Wimple Winch Psychedelic Years CD, is the title "Sagittarius" or "Saggitarius," as I've seen listed?

15. child of nature

I've been listening to July's self-titled album a lot lately. Tom Newman often sounds like Syd Barrett when he sings, and his song lyrics are also reminiscent of Syd's style. (His voice is most like Syd's on "Jolly Mary," imho.) The music is in the same vein as very trippy early Pink Floyd. I love the distorted heavy guitar solos, the cello, sitar ("The Way"), and all the great psychedelic effects employed. I've read criticism that every song hasn't aged well, but I tend to disagree with that statement. This album is one of the best within the psych genre, to me anyway. "Crying is for Writers"--what a great title, and the guitar is fantastic on this.

Has anyone noticed Newman's repeated use of the term "paper head"?

Any comments?

16. glea

glea Forum Resident

I only "rediscovered" this album which has been sitting on my shelf all these years. It's a good one. Much better than most "lost classics". It is very dirivitive of Syd, but that isn't a bad thing, is it?

Just listening to the reish of the first Blossom Toes.. Very surprised to see that an original sold on eBay for 675 pounds... Gack, good $1.69 investment. The new issue sounded great. I'll be spinning it on my show tomorrow... and part 3 of the Christopher Hjort inteview... Luckily my deluxe reissue of Bluesbreakers was also in the ModLang parcel... I did a quick re-edit to get one of the BBC tracks on it. My old tapes didn't sound nearly as great..

:goodie:

17. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Earlier in the thread, Tages/Blond were mentioned with a brief discussion of Blond's album "The Lilac Years". I couldn't see it mentioned, so I just thought I'd pass on that it was (fairly) recently rereleased in Sweden with some bonus tracks, and seems to be still in print or at least in stock.

18. child of nature

Thank you for this information! I really need to get that album. :wave: Welcome to the board!

19. child of nature

Yes, it is derivative of Syd, but like you say, that's not a bad thing at all. Unfortunately, as we all know, there's a limited amount of Syd material for us to love and enjoy--I welcome any opportunity to hear music influenced by him. :)

I think those Blossom Toes reissues sound great, too.

Can anyone recommend other bands/albums like July?

20. Clarkophile

Sorry, I missed this. I know for sure it comes up as "Saggitarius" [sic!!!!!]on iTunes, but I can't remember right now whether it's listed that way on the cover. I'll check when I get home.

I like the July stuff too, Alison. I'm going to assume that you already know "Flight from Ashiya" very well, as far as obvious Syd-ishness goes.:laugh: I'll give it some more thought and try to come up with more.

21. child of nature

I love Kaleidoscope/Fairfield Parlour--I think I have everything they ever recorded that has been legitimately released, including the BBC stuff. :) There might be some unlicensed recordings I don't have, however!

22. Clarkophile

Frankly, Alison, this doesn't surprise me in the least.:righton:

23. Clarkophile

Yep, it's listed as "Saggitarius":laugh: on the CD cover.

24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Don't think there is much, if anything else by the band that hasn't been issued.

25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

That great Shapes & Sounds...Orange And Red Beams From The BBC Archives CD was a swell treat.

As for July, am I correct in thinking that the only currently available CD is the Japanese import?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.