Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Gangster Glam"
    1-8
    2-4
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0
    Average: 1.7941

Our votes for "Clockin' The Jizz"
    1-3
    2-6
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0
    Average: 2.0893

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Call The Law", written by Prince, Michael B, Sonny T., Levi Seacer, Jr., Tommy Barbarella, Rosie Gaines, Tony Mosley, Damon Dickson, and Johnson and produced by Prince (both credits attributed to Prince & the New Power Generation.)

Recorded circa December 1990, this was originally included on the tracklist of Diamonds And Pearls but was dropped later. It was released as a B-side on the Money Don't Matter 2Nite single.

Tony M: vocals
    Prince: all other instruments except:
    |Levi Seacer Jr: rhythm guitar
    Rosie Gaines: vocals, keyboards
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Sonny T: bass guitar
    Michael B: drums

This song was later re-released on the New Power Generation album Gold Nigga.

3. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Call The Law

that was a letdown, after buying the MDM2N 7" , finding a song without Prince vocals on the b-side…

because of the great groove & guitar I am tempted to give it a 3/5, it is one of the better tracks on the NPG album...

okay, 3/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

Clockin the Jizz: 1/5 some interesting little bits but have to hear the jizz part over and over..
    i like the idea of working a track over to see if it can turn into something else but i think this was a bust

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

WFT is this?

1/5

Call the law? Call The Revolution and replace this mess.

Why did this crap get videos?

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

All of the above.

Is this the worse Prince-associated track so far? Quite possibly - 0/5.
    I can't believe that he thought it was good enough to later put on an album!

7. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Call The Law - I guess it's got a nice groove, and I like the drum breaks and guitar solos - but that's not enough to ever make me want to spin it. Not sure why this was a b-side to a Prince single to be honest, given it appeared later on the NPG album. Given there is a video I wonder if it was originally planned as an NPG single?

Believe it or not, I actually saw him play this live a couple of times - once at the infamous Bagley's aftershow (more on that at a later date - partially released on The Sacrifice Of Victor video) and once at the end of one of the D&P London shows - most of the audience had left, but 20 minutes after the show ended P and the band came out in pyjamas and played this one. It was kinda fun at the time, everyone who was left in the building rushing to the front, and a trick he pulled a few more times in his career (eg during the 21 nights)

Call The Law - 1.5/5

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Call The Law
    Everything about this is great except the tedious rap vocal. Great groove, catchy chorus and Rosie shines as usual. Neat guitar solo.
    2.3/5

9. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Of course there was a video for Clockin’ The Jizz. :D

It was part song, part band interview:

Prince & The NPG - Gangsta Glam + Clock 'N The Jizz - SAPO Vídeos

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  10. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Call The Law

I’d like to think the version that was slated for D&P had Prince written/sung non-rap verses but when he scratched it from D&P he took his vocals off and gave it to Tony to rap over.

This is a 0/5

11. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I really find "Call The Law" an astonishing track. It's not Prince trying to ape other rap songs he's heard - as in many of the other examples so far - but him marrying rap with his style and creating something totally unique. The guitar playing is exemplary and adds interest and excitement at every break. It's a nice bass driven groove. The drum breaks are well timed and add frisson and propulsion. No, nothing is going to make Tony M a great rapper, but he doesn't get in the way of this song and his flow is a lot better here than on many other examples. The whole track is creative, layered, boundary pushing and (rapping aside) well-performed. I'm astonished he choose push and jughead above push this for D&P, but am glad it made Gold Nigga (love that album front to back) 4.5/5

12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"Call the Law" has some scorching guitar bits that slightly redeem a lesser effort. This is another puzzle, Prince's totally enamored demeanor toward Tony Mosley by handing the reins of entire songs over to him. It's too bad, I dig the groove on the instrumentation, but something about TM is just grating. He's a sign of things to come, of Shelby J. and co.

1/5

13. Lance LaSalle

3/5, I I am surprised to say that I enjoy it.

14. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Call The Law

I like this high energy song with The NPG. Great guitar by Prince. Tony is not too bad (again, kinda surprised myself I've been saying this a couple times now....) and it feels like an excellent party song. Pretty much like the video is showing.

"The law, they come around when everyone's having a ball.
    And by the way, that reminds me of a party y'all.
    North side Minnie, Twin Cities, mid-summer on the scene.
    And my people get busy fryin' up the bird (Get the chicken, baby).
    "

Prince performed the song a couple times on the D&P tour and in 1993. I too remember running back to the stage after the show (in Rotterdam) seems to have been finished. It felt kinda special, because a lot of people had already left the building.
    The best known live performance is of course the one from London 1993. That live performance always reminds me of Jump Around by House Of Pain, that was released in May 1992. 'By coincidence' that song is rumored to include a sample from "Gett Off" (the scream, about 66 times in the song), so it must have caught Prince's attention and probably some inspiration. BTW, there's a debate about this sample. Some (like Questlove) say that House Of Pain denied that the sample was Prince, to avoid paying royalties... But the band denied that in return, but couldn't tell what sample was used. It does sound like Prince to me, though. Here's the song for those who don't know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhzpxjuwZy0

Anyway, here's the performance from London 1993 (from the dvd: The Sacrifice Of Victor):

"Bring it up, P."

This is a 3 out of 5

15. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Tony is even more grating live. Prince? Brilliant as usual with his electric guitar flourishes ... frustrating and fascinating simultaneously.

16. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I am not completely certain but I think that live performance may have been the last time Tony M. performed on stage with Prince. If not, it would be near the end of his tenure with Prince. It looks like he was the opening act in February, 1994 for The Beautiful Experience taping. I think they must have parted company completely shortly after that.

17. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Yep - he totally killed that show - up to that point it had been a brilliant aftershow, with Mavis and The Steeles also doing their thing... luckily P pulled it back afterwards with an end segment most of which was inexplicably was left off the video in favour of this (Johnny / Come / Endorphinmachine / Peach)

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep, that was his final performance with Prince on stage. That was around the release date of the Gold Nigga album.
    I didn't know that he also performed on Febr 14th, 1994, but Princevault confirms it (without additional info).

19. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

Call The Law 3/5

20. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Call The Law

The beat and guitar are not bad but after 1:13 I feel it ... I feel embarassed for everyone in that video. It's like Borat doing a hip hop comedy video. You ain't dangerous by sayin' you were.

1.5/5

21. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

Did I miss the totals for Violet The Organ Grinder somewhere?

22. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Call The Law is horrible but the bass and guitar really cook at the end.

Tricky By Name likes this.
  23. Lluvia Morada

Lluvia Morada Forum Resident

Call the Law:
    I too was surprised back in the day when I got this on the MDMT single. Where was Prince in the vocals dept? It was all Tony M and Rosie G. He did something similar at the end of Revolution, with Wendy and/or Lisa doing vocals on some tracks. But I enjoyed this hip hop song, especially the awesome guitar. With it finally being released on Gold Nigga, it made sense. Should’ve always been labeled as an NPG, or even Tony M, release.

4/5

24. Lance LaSalle

I guess I forgot. I’ll do it tomorrow.

thomas kozlowski jr likes this.
  25. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

I was a young child once that was super excited to get the cassette single seeing it had an unreleased song called "Call The Law"

[​IMG]

1/5