Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Return Of The Bump Squad

Love the chorus. Just an okay song in full.

3/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Big Fun
    3/5
    I love the remake (essentially, the title track of the next NPG album is a remake of this song)

3. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Big Fun... Was wondering where I heard this song before, than I realized, I know the remade, improved version "New Power Soul" on 1998's New Power Soul. It has the same "get freaky let the head bob" line and is much better sounding to my ears. Big Fun isn't as much fun as I would like it to be.
    2/5

4. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Big Fun - more old school funk, with a great bass groove, weird keyboards and flute lines, and a nice falsetto vocal. And in true funk style the groove goes on for days. Turn this one up loud for full impact. This thread has reminded me how much I like this album.

3.5/5

rilgarlurx and zipzapzopzoup like this.
  5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Big Fun

Lost opportunity! Great P-Funk verses ... this could have been a cool song - if it had a chorus :sigh:
    2.5/5

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The stripped down verses are kinda interesting, but the "chorus" is annoying and overproduced. Reminds me of the D&P and [​IMG] era. Which is not a great thing.

1/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  7. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

Big fun - This isn’t as dull as some of the others. It’s an ok album track. 2.5/5.

Why didn’t he call this Get Freaky? Is there another song by that name?

8. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “Return Of The Bump Squad” (23 votes):
    1 - 2x
    2 - 0x
    3 - 9x
    4 - 10x
    5 - 2x

Average: 3,2087

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  9. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Big Fun

This sounds like a Prince solo song. Sonny is doing some background talking and laughing, though. Eric Leeds is on horns and flute again. Besides that, it sounds like all Prince to me.
    The song is based on a drum loop, a sample ("Get freaky, let your head bob") and a sample by Ninety-9 ("Big fun") from the unreleased Three Shots. The music is re-used for Poom Poom (from: Crystal Ball '98), some lyrics on Newpower Soul (from: Newpower Soul).
    As much as I like the idea and song title, it's way too long with 7 and a half minutes without much happening besides that great loop and samples. It kinda reminds me of most of the songs on Newpower Soul and some songs on Emancipation. Great ideas, but way too long and uninspired.
    So, nice loop, vocal and feel, but way too long...

This is a minor 3 out of 5.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Big Fun
    I like the beat and the sleazy atmosphere of this one. The keyboards and the falsetto create the perfect counterpart. Some neat freaky flute in there too (or is it synth flute?) and punctuations from Eric. It goes on a little too long but it's Prince having fun and I love it.
    4/5

11. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"big fun" - 2/5

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. thomas kozlowski jr

thomas kozlowski jr Forum Resident

13. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident

14. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Big Fun:
    Another good groove with some mid-90’s high pitched synth lines that were so popular. Nice G-Funk influences. Again, meant to be played at a slammin’ party, and it works perfectly in that setting.
    3.5/5

15. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yep, this sounds like the soundtrack to a house party where you can have some Big Fun. The song is a bit long and at times a bit monotonous as well but nevertheless it works. It might be the great bass groove that's behind it. You don't mind having that continue for a while. And so the song still passes by quite quickly. It's a very good jam.
    4/5

Purple Jim and Arthur Pewty like this.
  16. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Big Fun":

You said most of what I had to say. 2.5/5.

17. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I like "Big Fun" but I didn't realise until today that it was almost seven and a half minutes long. The fact that I never noticed its length must mean that it doesn't bother me but I can understand why people might think it is too long.

Not a whole lot going on in this one, it's fairly repetitive, but I enjoy the groove. I'll go with a 3.75/5

The title reminds me of The Cosby Show episode where Vanessa sneaks off to see the band The Wretched. After she got caught Claire kept using the phrase "big fun."

18. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

Big Fun is some slinky funk. Very early 90s sounding, but in a good way. 4/5

19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Hallucination Rain", written by [​IMG], Sonny T., Michael B., Tommy Barbarella & Mr. Hayes; produced by [​IMG]. Both credits attributed to The New Power Generation.

The New Power Generation - Hallucination Rain Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

Recorded at Paisley Park on May 15th, 1994. The album/B-side version is an edit from a longer full-length studio version.

Sonny T.: lead and backing vocals, bass guitar
    Tora Tora (aka [​IMG]): backing vocals, all other instruments except:
    Tommy Barbarella: keyboards
    Mr. Hayes: keyboards
    Michael B.: drums

David Bauder: violin

TThis was also released as a B-side on Get Wild.

20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

The violin is a nice addition, but I find this too slow and the spoken verses are pretty annoying - Sonny is no Isaac Hayes! 2/5

21. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Hallucination Rain

I always thought this was inspired by a track of one of my favourite albums:
    The Beastie Boys ~ Something's Got To Give

Anyway this is a very good song. I said that Count The Days was my favourite track of that album but I'm surprising myself by rating this one higher.

I see what Prince tried there and kudos for that. It may be a tiny, tiny bit pedestrian for a psychedelic track, including the lyrics...

"Say baby, this soup tastes kinda funny
    I don't know
    My skin's crawling
    It feels strange
    Is this the same soup as usual?" o_O:laugh:

A strong 4/5

22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

"Hallucination Rain" is a sort of pastiche on those old psychedelic soul records that borders on coming across as parody thanks to Sonny T.'s rather humorously dull vocals. However, it's kind of a cool psychedelic backdrop that manages to be likeable to me, despite the fact that once again it sounds like a parody or self-parody.

3/5

23. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Hallucination Rain - works quite well as the b-side of Get Wild but kills the flow of the album in my view. I'm wholly expecting others to like this much more than me, but as @croquetlawns says the spoken verses are irritating and the climax is a mess. Given all of that, it's weird that I actually prefer the longer version - mainly because I really like the organ solo and guitar parts that are edited out of the album mix. I'm left feeling this could have been way better than it ended up.

Here's the long version for anyone interested:

2/5

Lance LaSalle and croquetlawns like this.
  24. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Hallucination Rain... This song does not pass my smell test. No offense to any one that enjoys this, but this may be some of the worst I've heard from Prince. It feels like they just all got real high and tried to make a fun Barry White song or wack Rap skit and it just got out of hand...just not my thing.
    1.5/5

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hallucination Rain
    Killer psychedelic instrumentation. Sonny's spaced-out, druggy vocals work fine for me. Always a favourite of mine from the album.
    4/5

Tricky By Name and thekid87 like this.