Ocean of Violets: Prince song by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

2. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Home

Take those keyboard riffs off, take out that droning bass kick, unstack her backing vox, add a little acoustic guitar to compliment the melody, and this could have been a really nice track. Too bad. 1.5/5

Tricky By Name likes this.
  3. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

"Home" is pretty bland but, for this sort of song, it is well crafted.

2/5

sunspot42 and Tricky By Name like this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Something U Already Know", written and produced by Bria Valente and Prince.

Bria Valente – Something U Already Know Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"Something U Already Know" was recorded at either Paisley Park or Circle House in Miami at some point between mid-2006 and early 2009.

Line Up:
    Bria Valente: lead vocals

with
    Prince: all instruments except:
    Joshua Dunham: bass guitar
    C.C. Dunham: drums

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Our votes for “Home” (12 votes):

1 - 5x
    2 - 7x
    3 - 0x
    4 - 0x
    5 - 0x

Average: 1,4417

Beachedboy and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Something U Already Know
    The repeated melody hook ("All up close to me...") is nice and I suppose that this sort of thing - within the genre - is very well done but it's a bit too sugary sweet for my taste. I do like Prince's keyboard playing here, and again, I'd love to hear a version with his vocals.
    3/5

thekid87 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  7. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I never thought about scoring the individual tracks on Bria's album before and "Something U Already Know" surprised me. I really enjoy this one. The first half has a good groove working for it. The keyboards are very nice. Around the four minute mark the drums kick in and the song starts a build through to its conclusion. During the fade out there is a faint keyboard/synthesizer sound that I quite like. I wish the fade was a little longer so I could hear it properly.

Can anyone help me with these lyrics? I think they may be a metaphor but I've never been able to figure out what they meant.:shh:

"I love it when your face is like a treasure buried in the pot of gold, at the end of the rainbow. Come on, come on. Ooo. Taste the rainbow."

4.25/5

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

As a smooth R&B song this is pretty good, but it’s not a genre I really care for. Those drums seem to be pushed up a lot in the mix! 2.5/5

9. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Something U Already Know - I like the intro rhythms, and the sparse keys and bass are nice. It runs out of steam after a couple of minutes though. Probably the best track on the album so far, but the bar is low.

2.5/5

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. Beachedboy

Beachedboy Forum Resident

Decent. Sort of Sade kinda vibe. I'm really digging this laid back smooth vibe. Prince vault needs to update some of its info though as the album was finished by mid 2008. I'd bet the backing track was done back in 2006 in those summer sessions that provided most of Planet Earth and All This Love etc.

The chorus has some interesting chords with the layered up vocals, melody reminds me of something from Rave era or the Npgmc tracks. The organic sounding rhythm track is giving me Rainbow Children vibes. I'm enjoying this album a lot relistening for this thread.

Aside from Home. What was he thinking!?

4 out of 5 for Something U Already Know

11. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Simething U Already Know
    3/5

12. Lance LaSalle

A LOT of its info...

Beachedboy and Tricky By Name like this.
  13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"Something U Already Know" - 2/5

the only thing this album has going for it is that it is better than Carmen Elektra... it''ll be interesting to see which ranks higher.

croquetlawns and Tricky By Name like this.
  14. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I guess it’s all about ‘Elixer’ :p

15. BobaMosfett

BobaMosfett Forum Resident

Something U Already Know
    Mr. and Mrs. Dunham are one hell of a rhythm section. Yummy! Plus, I like the kind of 'live' sounding production a lot! I think a lot of tracks on this album sound like that.
    I don't think the song itself is very special, but it's very pleasant to listen to because of this.
    The downside is Bria herself, who sounds kind of superficial. She's not bad, but I just don't believe what she is singing. (and the mastering of course...)

Tricky By Name and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Something U Already Know

This is a nice laidback song. Like most of the album, this song is a nice listen. Nothing special, but her voice is pleasant and the music is interesting enough. Compared to, for example, the canceled album by Tamar (and like the song Prince took from Tamar’s album and gave to Bria), this one is pretty nice. Good groove and vocals.

This is a 3 out of 5.

17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Something U Already Know

The music is not bad, the singer is. Mentioning her in the same sentence as Sade is a sacrilege.

1.5/5

18. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Definitely agree with that!

She does have hints of Sheila E vocal similarities and is a stronger voice than Sheila. This song sounds like it could have been lifted from his 4th album for Sheila.
    The previous track could have been as nice as this one. 3.6/5

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Exactly this.

2/5

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Nailed it. Pussycat Dolls.

I like it more than the rest of you, though. Has some kind of life to it at least.

3/5

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Dull Sade, without those amazing vocals. Not that Bria's vocals are awful, but they don't work all that well with this material.

2/5

22. hotstuffmama

hotstuffmama El Supremo

something u already know

Probably the best song yet, but that's not saying much. Boring and her voice is so thin.

2/5

23. Lance LaSalle

This is a better than good song that just misses being truly great in my opinion. I really enjoy that jazzy "I am only telling you what you already know" hook...And the piano playing. "Taste the Rainbow!":D Extra points for that bit.

3.9/5

24. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Everytime", written and produced by Bria Valente & Prince. Strings arranged by Claire Fischer.

Bria Valente – Everytime Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Recorded on June 1st, 2006 at either Paisley Park or Circle House in Miami.

Strings added sometime before release.

Line UP:
    Bria Valente: vocals

with
    Prince: all instruments

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Clare! Appropriate to pull him in on a bossa nova number. Odd hearing Prince make grandma music.

Not a bad attempt, but feels very slight. That late '80s digital keyboard at the end is awful.

3/5