October Criterions (finally!) announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

BluRay upgrades for 'Haxan' and '3 Silent Classics By Josef Von Sternberg'

new: 'Matewan' and 'When We Were Kings'

Shop

Announcement coming next week for spine #1000. No idea if that will be released in October, though. Seems as though everyone's expecting it'll be a big 'Godzilla' box, though they don't usually assign big boxes their own spine numbers. Anything less than 'The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover', 'King Lear' or the complete 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' series remastered in 4K is gonna be a huge anticlimax as far as I'm concerned.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’ve fallen off the Criterion bandwagon quite a bit and am only purchasing “essential” releases during the 50% off sales, but I’d be first in line for a Godzilla box at full price.

Jazzmonkie and Shawn like this.
  3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I’d do the same for a Buffy the Vampire Slayer box!!

jlocke08 and 93curr like this.
  4. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

1000 will probably be Citizen Kane. Though I will also be on board for a Showa Godzilla box if that happens at some point.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

How about a Complete Fassbinder box?:)

Dudley Morris, audiomixer and 93curr like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

OOoowww....that would be exciting!

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

When We Were Kings is a goodie.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

As much as I like my Haxan DVD, I think I can live without a Blu-Ray upgrade of it. Kind of a weak set, especially so close to the holidays.

9. 93curr

Considering Criterion originally issued it as laserdisc 1, it probably should be / might be assigned to 1001 instead.

10. 93curr

I'm eternally hopeful. Though, if they did (when they do), it probably wouldn't be (won't be) assigned a number.

ralphb likes this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

hmmm, they keep missing the target imo. Just watched "Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" which should have been one of the 1st 100 releases and visually demands the Critereon treatment - it's a distinctive and evocative as the better known McCabe and Mrs. Miller. Nothing against Von Strernberg but c'mon....

12. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It'll also likely be the size of the monolith from 2001 (and we'll be the monkeys pawing it in wonder).

13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Unlikely to be numbered, if/when it comes; the Bergman set isn’t.

The clever money seems to be on Godzilla, but I’m holding out for The Other Side of the Wind.

johnnyyen and ralphb like this.
  14. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Wow! Four silent films in one month, I'm in!

15. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

After perusing the Criterion Forum, I see there have been leaks about the Criterion Godzilla set being announced next week, along with Criterion themselves stating they'd be announcing spine 1000 next week. So that seems pretty cut and dried.

16. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Not sure I will get any of these October titles maybe Matewan, not a silent film fan.

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hopefully all the Godzilla movies will have the Japanese and dubbed versions. That is more important to me than it being #1000.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agreed and I too would love a Godzilla box!

Al Kuenster and The Hud like this.
  19. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

just ordered my copy of When We Were Kings. fantastic documentary if you have any interest in the subject matter. with that and Local Hero coming out i am beyond excited. :goodie:

20. 93curr

So, yeah, turns out spine #1000 is the Godzilla set after all. Which beg the questions: a) why did this box get a spine number? b) is this going the be the only big box set for the year?

21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

To answer your first question, I would imagine it is because none of these films have been released by Criterion previously; unlike, say, a number of films included in the big Bergman box. The Zatoichi set was given a spine number, so this Godzilla set is not without precedent.

For me, it’s an easy pass, and I say that as one with a strong interest in classical Japanese cinema. It’s a populist release. I don’t have a problem with Criterion releasing it, but it’s not what I’m hankering for. If it gets heavily discounted further down the line, I may pick it up.

22. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Here's the "trailer"

Brian Mc, uzn007 and supermd like this.
  23. Andrew Furlong

Andrew Furlong Well-Known Member

I am really liking the artwork. I hope they offer a poster to frame.

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

In for the Godzooky set.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The original Gojira (1954) got the Criterion treatment several years back. They did a nice job with it, so I'm excited for this upcoming box. My only fear is that the price tag might be more than my wallet can handle....

stepeanut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.