Odd CD glitch - would appreciate ideas

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TonyACT, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in! Thread Starter

Hi folks

I have an odd random error with my recently purchased Rotel CD 11 player. I don't want to log a support task if possible as I've already had the player replaced and the new one does it as well.

What happens is, I will be playing a CD and it just stops - it won't start again unless I eject the CD. It will then play through with no problem. This has happened three times with different new CDs and once with a CD that played fine a few days earlier.

I'm just wondering if you have heard of this before and have any idea what might be causing it? I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

2. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I don't have too many ideas but curious if it always happens in the same spots on these discs, or if it happens on discs that are very long and close to the end of the album?

TonyACT likes this.
  3. TonyACT

Hi. Different places, been in the middle third roughly. Once on a CD which had played through fine previously.

I'm suspecting something external but truly have no idea. It's only been once a week or so and I play a lot of CDs with no problems.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

To me, that'd be one time too many and I'd get it replaced until you don't have that problem again.

5. TonyACT

I may try that if it continues, though having had it replaced once already may lead to an interesting discussion.

I'm having random thoughts like the possibility of the heater turning on as part of its cycle (winter here) occasionally triggering a safety cutoff.

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Could this be related to the remote sensor? Something could be triggering it.
    Test by taping some opaque paper or cardboard over the remote sensor on the unit, operating the unit solely from the unit, until you verify the same problem still happens or doesn't.

7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Where did you buy it? Possible solution it return for credit and add a few bucks for a different brand. Two samples with the same issue? Have you googled it? Do others report anything similar?

8. TonyACT

Different brand option under consideration ;)

Googled and nothing remotely similar, hence my asking here.

9. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'd have to agree with the others who are suggesting return and replace. Odd stuff like this happens sometimes. When I got my first CD player, granted this was back in 1990, I had to go through 4 before I got one that wasn't defective.

Atmospheric, TonyACT and patient_ot like this.
  10. Is the replacement machine still under guarantee?
    If so get it replaced under warranty, or ask for a refund and try something else.

TonyACT and patient_ot like this.
  11. Sounds like a firmware issue to me

TonyACT likes this.
  12. Sullygr2221

Sullygr2221 Well-Known Member

Have you considered cleaning the CDs?

TonyACT likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That is a really good point! He could easily have another remote for something else which has some duplicated codes.

If this is not the case, and multiple replacements haven't solved the problem, then it sounds more like a design defect rather than a manufacturing defect. And if so, then nothing is likely to help short of returning it.

TonyACT likes this.
  14. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

What kind of heater?

A high voltage transient spike might be causing it. It might be locking up a micro processor.
    By you opening the CD drawer and closing it may reset the processor.

My first thought was static electricity locking up a micro processor. How dry is the air in your home?

Where do you have the CDP sitting? Directly above or beside another piece of audio equipment? You might try moving it farther away.

McLover and TonyACT like this.
  15. TonyACT

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I managed to speak to the local Rotel technician and he thinks it might be the firmware in this batch.

We are going to try a CD 14 rather than the CD 11. If I still have issues then I can further investigate the environmental suggestions above.

16. You're a lucky fellow to have such great support from your dealer & hoping to hear back soon with good news.

17. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Looks like you have a solution with getting a different model player.

If it happens with the new unit, and you think it is the heater, try manually turning on the heater to see if that causes it. It may be a voltage spike caused by the heater turnon causing the player SW to glitch or get lost requiring a reset.

TonyACT likes this.
  18. TonyACT

Thanks. Yes, we are lucky here in Canberra with a couple of supportive specialty dealers who have been around forever because of their great service.

It may take a while for the swap as the alternative model is out of stock and the virus situation is slowing down supplies, but I'll report back when there is progress.

19. TonyACT

Quick update - I plugged directly into the wall and had the heater off so it's not that.

Looking more and more like firmware.

Waiting for a replacement to enter the country.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  20. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Tony!

Good choice you exchanged it and are getting a new one.

I had the same defect on my Audio Analogue Paganini MK II. I bought it in 2001 and in 2010 it starts having these stops before it broke completly.

So I let it check from a well known dealer. The lens-mechanism was broken. The replacement was 400€.

I bought a Marantz CD 6003 instead. Still running fine in his 10th anniversary. :D

Bye Andrea :wave:

TonyACT likes this.
  21. TonyACT

Nice - can't complain with 10 years and still going :)

22. TonyACT

[​IMG]

Just picked up the replacement player.

I'll report back if I have any problems - but hopefully you won't hear from me again :agree:

23. TonyACT

Unfortunately the new model has the same problem :confused:

After a couple of months chasing around the world for assistance, Rotel tech support in the USA advised they have had occasional rare issues with the remote control receiver on their units being sensitive to external environmental issues.

I'm trying to convince the dealer to exchange the player for something from a different manufacturer as this is the third Rotel which I've tried.

In the meantime I've had to go back to my old player as the random cutouts on the new one are driving me nuts.

Luckily the A14 amp I bought at the same time as the CD player has excellent Bluetooth so I can use my laptop to stream any CDs which my old player won't read (around 1 in 100, which was what started this whole sorry 'upgrade' attempt in the first place).

The dealer is still dithering; hopefully he will come to the party or it's off to Consumer Affairs and a 'not fit for purpose' debate. This has been dragging on for far too long now.

24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I really hope you get it sorted, @TonyACT .

Years ago, when I was totally bed-bound and couldn't do anything myself, I was given a new CD player which would always glitch/stick/skip at about 18 minutes into every single disc. I don't know why I didn't just junk it then and there. I did after about a year or so of it doing my head in. Terrible machine.

EG.

TonyACT likes this.
  25. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Just for poops and giggles,try putting a small piece of electrical tape over the remote sensor on the CD player. If it still has the issue,you’ve eliminated a glitch in the remote.

pscreed and TonyACT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.